The Bethpage Black course in this game is BRUTAL!

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
JaxDuffer
Chronic Slicer

The Bethpage Black course in this game is BRUTAL!

Post by JaxDuffer »

Today, after playing well recently, I decided that I, for once, was going to break par on the Bethpage Black course in our game. I once again limped off the course +6 and that only possible after draining 2 putts of over 30 feet. My lowest score ever on this course is +3. It is definitely the hardest "fair" course I can think of. Some day Bethpage...you will be mine!!
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: The Bethpage Black course in this game is BRUTAL!

Post by Polslad »

Agreed.
I am very reluctant to included it my US Open course rota for the simple fact is I know I won't make the cut, even before I tee off.
Fantastic design and work, just SO DIFFICULT to score on. A true Open venue.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Yeah even my final round of 62 -8 (best round by far there) last season only got me a tie for 4th place. Minus 12 for all 4 rounds. Had my (A) game for that tourney. I'd probably miss the cut if I played it today. I'm having a BAD season so far.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

It is brutal. I have played it about ten times, and have never broken 74. 74 is my best round, but most rounds are between 78-86. It can definitely take you through a wild ride.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Seems like what makes it tough is the elevation of the greens and the punishing rough that surrounds them. I do not land in the bunkers very much at all at Bethpage.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I have at least 50 rounds played at Bethpage and my best was -1. The greens are soooo fast on very dry. It brings the thrill of breaking par to the game, very much like the players in the US Open go through.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Yeah Bethpage is a tough course.... I remember a few tourney's over the years here... I think my personal best was either -16 or -17... I bet I couldn't shoot -5 on it now days...Putter aint as hot as it once was... Used to be if I hit the green
no matter where, at least 95% of the time I made it... Now Im missing 15 footers sometimes when I play...

Im old and rusty I reckon....
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Rusty?? Sounds more like you are human now Terry! LOL
Parrothead
Chronic Slicer

Post by Parrothead »

I do okay on the front nine, hovering around par. The back nine, I usually get caught up in the rough on one or two holes and finish around +8 and higher.
fireman215
Novice

Post by fireman215 »

Was playing this course tonight and found this post! Man there is no forgivness at all for any mistake on this track! It is absolutly brutal. Made 4-5 lucky putts on l/f/g and just squeezed by even. No wonder they have the warning sign on the first hole stating "WARNING this course is extrememly difficult, etc.....