US Open

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

US Open

Post by Polslad »

Is everyone enjoying the show?
Star of the show so far for me has been the course, it's brutal!
Watching the coverage has got the old design juices flowing, I've never attempted a USGA style course, either real or fictional.
I'm thinking I would like to try to create something along those lines.
My pre-tournament pick has crashed and burned, Luke Donald, Mr Woods is looking quite good though, major No.15 on the way?
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Re: US Open

Post by sandwedge »

I am enjoying it immensely. I would love to see David Toms or Raphael Jacquelin take it - the former having a good chance in my estimation and the latter a mere sentimental pick of one in the hunt still at +3. I am not convinced Tiger has it for 4 rounds yet - think there is room for someone playing well to take the lead from him. The course is superb in its looks and playabillity. It is not a long course but it does have some spots that are punishing. Great stuff this one!
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

What a beast that course is... humbling some of the best players in the world.

I think it's hilarious that Tiger got schooled by a 17 year old amature... lol. However, the media coverage is still 75% Tiger, 25% everyone else... grrrr.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Someone build it for PGA2000 and I betcha in can tame it. Ha ha ha

I've watched every second of this tourney since Friday which I never do. But this has been great
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Man, what an amazing finish by Webb Simpson. Great round of 68, but I personally think the course was set up far enough that it was gimmicky and unfair. I always love the Open at Pinehurst, where almost always, the winner will be the only one under par.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Where to next year?
Robert@
Shotmaker

Post by Robert@ »

Merion
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Jezz.
I've started and dumped that course so many times.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

It was nice to see a Carolina boy win the US Open. It somewhat reminded me of last years Masters, with so many guys having a chance on the back 9.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

It certainly was a good tournament. I did not watch the final round all the way through - lot of television there - but I did catch enough of the excitement at the end. I really was a little suprised to see Webb Simpson win his first major at the U.S. Open. It looked like Jim Furyk just choked and that certainly was not something I was expecting. Great up and down by Simpson on 18, even after he did not get relief from an old sprinkler head that he was hoping for. He earned the victory going low when everyone else seemed to be trying to just hang on and hang in there.