Copyright Info re game clips

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Copyright Info re game clips

Post by stillgolfing »

This being an old game and long past the original creators demise, I was wondering if there were any issues regarding using clips from the game for financial gain. Why I am asking this is, I was working (for free) on a promotional idea for a friend who owns a local nine hole golf course and as a joke (in with the promotional material) I did a "photo shopped" cartoon and had it picboarded (16 x 22) @ Costco and gave it to him. He put it up in the clubhouse and It was a minor hit. A few golfers wanted to buy the pic and others suggested they would buy T shirts and other stuff. Now he want's to do that. I told him to hold his enthusiasm until I researched the copyright issue. Here is the pic that, apparently, a few people loved.
Thanks, Dave
Attachments
RG Cartoon #1 Web sized.png
(912.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
Robert@
Shotmaker

Re: Copyright Info re game clips

Post by Robert@ »

I see no problem with this at all.
But if you have concerns,you can contact Vance Cook from Headgate Studios at EA sports(Creator of this game) and ask his permission. The monetary gain from this i believe will not be significant enough to warrent any copyright infringement.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Re: Copyright Info re game clips

Post by stillgolfing »

Robert@ wrote:I see no problem with this at all.
But if you have concerns,you can contact Vance Cook from Headgate Studios at EA sports(Creator of this game) and ask his permission. The monetary gain from this i believe will not be significant enough to warrent any copyright infringement.
Thanks for the info Robert. Sounds like a plan. In fact, when I was doing this as a business sometime ago, being small time, I never had a problem even with current active Companies, I just commited to add something like "Thanks to Headgate Studios for permission to use animation clips from PGA2000" on the back of, or the tag for whatever item I had created.
Cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing