Favorite Robert@ course.

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
JaxDuffer
Chronic Slicer

Re: Favorite Robert@ course.

Post by JaxDuffer »

So, because of this thread, I went out and d/l'ed Stranglehold. Now, just a little background, I have never a been a huge fan of Robert's courses not because they aren't excellently done, but more-so because they are nearly impossible for me to break par.

The same holds true with Stranglehold but, I really like this one because of the shorter par 4's that have huge make or break aspects to them. I will be keeping this one. My best score so far is +3 but I'm hoping to improve on that.
Robert@
Shotmaker

Post by Robert@ »

Jax.
I understand the frustration one gets when playing one of my courses,they are not made for every hole to be birdied with ease. Even saying that,some guys do just that.
I try to make a course thats challenging,to have a player have and want to play it over and over again to better there own score. I believe part of the enjoyment this game has is the challenges it can provide. Its hard for me to believe that once I`ve mastered something that I would continue to enjoy it as much as I did while trying to conquer it. Thus the difficulty you may find in some of my courses,your not alone. Unfortunatly todays caliber of players still varys enough that some will find the challenge in the course while others will not enjoy it. There is a fine line between something that can be challenging to all and just plain to hard. That line moves back and forth with the different players and different taste they have in certain courses. I have no doubt crossed that line for many and can only hope that when there game improves so will there desire to play and keep my courses. I dont think there has ever been a designer that has ever built a course for PGA and was happy that -15 or -18 was being shot on a regular bases on one of there courses. A hard time breaking par...now thats the ticket. Hard to do but still quite possible is what gets a course played over and over again. Its just not that easy designing one that fits that bill for all.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I agree 100% with you Robert@. I try to make most of my courses a little more difficult but fair. My up coming contest release may be my most difficult one I've designed yet but I still believe its very fair. You just have to think a little and deside if some of the risk are worth the reward. I haven't broke par in test playing yet but I haven't been giving my full effort as far as trying to score. I think your Oakland Hills design is tough but fair. Those greens are difficult at least for me.