Augusta anyone?

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Re: Augusta anyone?

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

Yeah to me, any "Golf-Sim" where Birdie is the "New Par" is not very enjoyable. I want to feel good about shooting a -3 or -4 round (like real golf).... not feel badly because I didn't shoot -18 or -20.

That's why I don't use the "cheat methods" that everyone else uses when playing PGA2k. Plus, there's just something against the "spirit of the game" when people cheat. I played real golf for most of my life and Golf is the ONLY game ever invented that a person's "integrity" is vital to playing the game. Golf doesn't have referee's to regulate rules violations or cheating. Golf is the only sport where One calls penalties on themselves and tabulates their own scores! Throw integrity out the window and what do you have left???? You have a sport that "won't work!"

That's just me... I'm kinda "funny" like that I guess!
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

there's just something against the "spirit of the game" when people cheat. I played real golf for most of my life and Golf is the ONLY game ever invented that a person's "integrity" is vital to playing the game. Golf doesn't have referee's to regulate rules violations or cheating. Golf is the only sport where One calls penalties on themselves and tabulates their own scores! Throw integrity out the window and what do you have left???? You have a sport that "won't work!"
:up: Agree
Stan
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I've had every instance of TW for playstation since '05 or '06. I like how you have to start at the bottom and build your players skills up. The graphics are always pretty impressive and the course selections are pretty good for the most part. That's especially true for the latest versions where they got rid of all the fantasy courses. There are a lot of things I don't like about it though, and that may prevent me from buying the newest version. The only way I can play it now is to turn off all the options, no spin control or power boost. It is still overly easy though. When playing season mode on the PGA Tour, its virtually impossible to lose. That sounds great, but it gets old after a while. I like having to really grind out a round to move up the leaderboard. But that doesn't work if you're 5 strokes better than everyone each round, which is ALWAYS the case. It seems like AI scores are always based on what you are shooting and not on the course and the course conditions.

I played the demo for this new Masters one and while the graphics are very good, I'm just really not impressed. Putting seems to be more difficult, which in the past was VERY easy (I would say my putts per green average was a hair above 1). But for me, they just haven't done enough to keep my interest so I'll keep my money this year.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

I bought TW12 for Augusta, and I must say, all the extra goodies are nice as well. They've done a very good job of capturing the course. I played it just after watching Charl Swartchzel win a few weeks ago, and I was a nice change to see how accurate it is. However, Jim Nantz's iconic broadcaster voice doesn't quite work at other courses with less tradition.

It is by far the best in the TW line, though.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I guess I shouldn't be so hostile towards TWGolf, but I just find it hard to forgive the Headgate people for jumping ship from Sierra before giving this game one more good tweak. It would take just sooooooo little to have made this game almost perfect:

1. Dropping. The option for stroke and distance; an arc for dropping no closer to the hole but on a line parallel to the green that would allow you to get onto fairway or light rough.
2. A concede button for match-type play events.
3. Better AI for computer players.
4. More 3-d objects for the designer.
5. Updated styles and wardrobes (although they'd be out of date by now as well.) :nod:
6. Some tweaks on the designer. Maybe the ability to make your course layout without having to do it all by hand (although Brian has helped overcome that.) Links 2001's Arnold Palmer Course Designer had this feature a decade ago. Eliminate the "floating trees" glitch.

But I have to admit I'm happy that PGA2K didn't become TWGolf.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Apparently, since the Masters is over, the price came down...about 40% I bought it for my Xbox 360, and must say that I enjoy it better than the past TW's, just as ADC mentioned. The "road to the Masters" includes Nationwide Tour events with real Nationwide Tour players on the scoreboard. You have to work your way through the Nationwide Tour (2 wins) and then Q-School before playing any PGA events. I turn off all of the 'help' so that it is more realistic, because shooting 47 on 18 holes gets boring after a while. People get upset when they don't make 6 eagles in a round!

The one thing about the Nationwide Tour events, is that they are only 1 round. I squeaked out a win by 1 shot over Scott Dunlap with +1 in my first event. With that being said, with PGA 2000 we can re-create ANY schedule on ANY tour, with ANY amount of rounds we want (actually, I think 6 is the limit).

I'll have fun with this TW online and with a few friends, but it won't last as long as the 10 years I've been playing this game. It just trumps all of the rest.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

And dont forget, my fellow gamers, PGA has the distinction of personal to us all. The only reason this game exists right now is because we love it and refuse to let it die.

TW is still in existing to make EA lots and lots of money. As fantastic as it is, it is designed to grow old so that by next March you will buy the next one. It really is a world of difference.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.