Website Construction Updates

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Website Construction Updates

Post by BrianZ111 »

tincup wrote:Now that the new site is fully operational, I just want to say what a pleasure it has been to work with Brian on this. Whoever he works for is lucky to have him, and so are we. Brian's attention to detail and tenacity in getting the job done is simply amazing. He worked on this puppy night and day. There has been a tremendous amount of grungy work to do to get things just right. I didn't hear one complaint from him. He just dug in and "Got er dunnn".

Thanks again Brian. We owe you. :thumbsup:

Dar
Well thanks for the kind words Dar. You were a big part of it too though. I couldn't have done it without you. Getting the file names matched with the courses in your Excel spreadsheet made things go a lot easier and faster. I guess nobody is lucky right now since I'm currently unemployed. :laugh: I have no problem with motivation when it is something I care about like golf or this game/community. The only reason I was reluctant early on when MyGolfer only had the problem of not being able to register new users was I wasn't sure a new site would get used that much. I knew it would be a lot of work because I wasn't going to do it halfway. After the downloads stopped working over there it was obvious it was needed and would be used. The results are worth the effort.
scotty66
Weekend Duffer

Post by scotty66 »

Brian & Dar,

You guys have done a fantastic job building this new site. I still don't know how you guys made it happen so quickly, especially with no backup to copy over the files. :up: :cheers:
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

We did have backup Scotty. I keep a backup of all courses, libraries and miscellaneous files on my secondary internal hard drive. I have still another full backup on my external drive in case the internal drive fails for some reason. Beyond that, I back everything up again on DVDs for off-site storage. I guess that is the old IT guy in me. I am a fanatic about backing things up.

I also keep monster spreadsheets of nearly all vital statistics on the courses... designer, release date, type, custom libs used, etc. Those spread sheets proved to be key in organizing for the new site build.

I saw the handwriting on the wall about six months ago when I could not contact Mirage (the web master/owner of the Mygolfer site). He just disappeared. I knew the day would come when we had to build a new site, so I have been organizing to facilitate that. It was just a matter of time before we had to do it. As you saw, one major outage and we were toast. :eek:

Uploading the data to the new server was the easy part. I just started the upload and let it grind away in the background for 90 hours.

Thank goodness we have Brian. His command of Dreamweaver is what saved our bacon. Using input from my spreadsheets, he was able to quickly establish the necessary linkages to the uploaded zip files. I was amazed at how quickly he built the presentation pages.

All in all, it did go very smoothly. I am very pleased that we are back in business.

Dar
otto
Range Rookie

Post by otto »

Hello all. I read these posts and I'm thinking the site for course downloads is "open for business". Is that true and if so, where do I go to see and use the site? I feel kinda ridiculous that I cannot find it.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Hi Otto,
There are still a few loose ends to wrap up. In the meantime, use this link to get to the main page:
http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/pga2000/

On that page you will see links to the courses, Libraries and Miscellaneous files (Utilities)

Dar
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I'm just wondering where the Microsoft Viewing Utilities are (Excel Viewer, Word Viewer)? I didn't see them listed, and I do not have Word or Excel, and do not have enough common sense to save them to my hard drive.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Doron,

I opted not to put the viewers in the utilities area. I thought that with the introduction of Windows Vista and Windows 7, those may not be current anymore. I don't like putting things out there if I can't verify their integrity.

I think it might be better to go to the Microsoft site and download them from there. It will tell you on what operating systems the viewer will run. I don't think any of the older packages have been certified to run on Windows 7... they might, but W7 is not listed.

Here is the link for viewers:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downl ... 44981.aspx

Dar
Randi Hein
Range Rookie

Post by Randi Hein »

I downloaded several...and nooo problems whatsoever...this site is better..Thanks Guys!

Randi
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Thanks for the feedback Randi... that is good to know.

Dar
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I believe construction of the website is complete. I've fixed some broken links. Dar helped me figure out why some files weren't linked to, turned out they were mostly duplicates. I added some screenshots to the course pages that weren't being listed before and I made the links for the screenshots more descriptive. Robert@ created a new banner for us that I put above the course image banners. There's probably some other changes I'm forgetting now too.

The forum will be down for maintenance sometime tomorrow. No updates for the forum software had been released since March, then 3 days after I get this up there's an update available. Go figure. :laugh: