Completely bizarre ball physics

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
JaxDuffer
Chronic Slicer

Completely bizarre ball physics

Post by JaxDuffer »

Ok, anyone following the season play thread probably saw that I had mentioned I was missing cuts with the strangest of luck. Today broke the back though. I had substituted TPC Egg Harbor for one of my courses. I shot -3 in the first round and felt pretty good as my 2nd round conditions I always make easy. Here is where things went bizarre. Although my drives were normal, my irons were completely weak. After shooting 3 double bogeys in the first 4 holes, I started clubbing 2 to 3 clubs stronger and still was not getting any distance. My 3 iron was hitting about 165. I had NO WIND! I ended up shooting +12 for the round. I immediately went in and played the round again but not in the season but just a round (not practice). Same conditions. All of my ball physics went back to normal and I shot -3 despite playing very quickly since I was just testing.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I have noticed things like this before but this was the worst case I have ever seen. In playing dozens upon dozens of rounds I have noticed that ball physics differ, sometimes on the putting green, sometimes with irons so much so that I believe the game introduces some kind of random kicker during tourney play. Maybe their way of bringing up a good round/bad round experience but falsely. Who knows.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Completely bizarre ball physics

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I've had it happen online, but never really understood why it happened... I assumed it had something to do with the server. I've also noticed that with some textures I'll get a variation in lengths... maybe 10-15 yards longer/shorter but they generally remain consistent and I can make the adjustment. I've also noticed that with some rough textures set on short, it becomes "flyer" rough, and sometimes I'll get an extra 20-30 yards, but again it's usually consistent with the texture and I can adjust.

I've heard others who Season play complain of different things happening later in the season, like after the 30th event or so. I've never played beyond 25 (although I plan to this year) so I've not had any problems like that.

What I'd suggest is to make a new season just to test your game. Use Egg Harbor and the same conditions (if you save stats turn off regulation/click on custom) and give it a another try. If that works okay, finish out the current event then enter edit and make another event, just make the starting date a day later than the one currently in use and it'll pop up between the one in play now and the next one.

Other than that, I have no idea what to tell you.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I would'nt use Egg Harbor to do any testing. It has alot of different textures even the fairways have different textures. I've had alot of weird things happen as far as inconsistant shots but not to the extreme that you said. If you really feel the game is messing up on you during a round as in several (more then 3) shots then you may want to check all settings for your created golfer. Maybe you have him as far as ability as standard or basic. If one of them is listed instead of advanced you'll hit shorter more accurate shots.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Jax, I have another weird experience to add to yours. This involved Ian Poulter (AI) at Harbor Town. IIRC on #14 (375 yards) Poulter pushed a drive which clipped a tree that then carried the green ending up at 385 yards. 10 years this month I've been playing PGA2k and I've never seen anything like this happen. (Unfortunately he still parred the hole, lol.) The Tour is checking his blood for 'roids and/or meth as I type.
JaxDuffer
Chronic Slicer

Post by JaxDuffer »

That is amazing Indy.

I find the AI to be completely wacky. These guys will be in the rough behind a forest of trees and hit the perfect shot to within 10 feet every time. Then they miss the 10 ft putt.

And don't ever get me started about Rider Cup or Greensome pro putting. 56 footer for opponent? No problem. 1 footer by your teammate, problem.