Permian Basin Golf Club by fireman215 [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Permian Basin Golf Club by fireman215 [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Permian Basin Golf Club (11.5 MB)
Type: Fictional, Parkland
Designer: fireman215
Date: 1/14/2011
Libraries Used: augusta2001, bayhill, bethpage1, colonial, DSTour, fabsflorida, inlandheath, kingstonheath, mayfield, midwest, northamerican, podunklagoon, pookela, ruggedcross, sammamish, whisperwind
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Permian Basin Golf Club by fireman215 [New Course]

Post by bryce »

Fireman215, this is the first I have played of your courses. I didn't get the chance to play your first one yet trying to complete my own for the contest, but I can tell from what the screenshots show that this course is much better.

I will say that bunker lips should only be dropped by several inches, unless it is a links course. The lips are at least 2 feet and doesn't quite fit the style of the course. The planting is decent, but you should try some different grasses that the thick brown grass patches, unless you mix a few together. Just some thoughts.

The layout is outstanding! I like the choices off of the tees, expecially #3, and #13. I had to try to reach #13, and it bit me in the butt! The greens are also done well. They have different shapes and nice contours.

Like I said, I have not played your first course, but I can tell you have a ton of potential. Good job with a fun little course!

Doron
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Looks like we have a keen newbie designer in our midst.
Same as Bryce, I havent played Firemans fisrt release, but was impressed with Permain Basin.
For only a second release, there is a ambitious grasp of the architect tools, lots of big contours and use of the land shapes.
The course has it's own identity, all of the greens are 'stand alone' set off from fairways and across water, requiring full shots in, no bump'n'run approaches here.
Speaking of the greens, most of them are set across from the approach, offering their narrowest area for the approach, if you want to get close to the flags. This seems to work OK, but I got the impression once or twice that the landing area didn't really allow for the length of club being hit into the green. Bunkering is quite extensive also, there are some nasty ones dotted around, to be avoided.
There are a few newbie trademarks present, most tees have a full set of oversize objects, there is a noticeable repetetive use of the same trees and bushes across the layout, and I just got the feeling that Fireman wanted to incorporate all of his ideas in one layout, something we are all guilty of, I know I wanted my first release to match the real Augusta, and be an instant classic (it wasn't).
The use of too many libraries (16) also.
Still, I hope I don't sound too negative, like I said, this is a very good course for only a 2nd release.
It's going to be interesting watching our new friend blossom and develop.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Sorry I'm late with this review.
Fireman, for a sophomore effort, this is a really nice course. You seem to have a nice grasp of the designing tools and as Polslad said, an "ambitious grasp." While I like all of your course selections (textures, pano, water) there is a repetive use of the same objects, especially the grass. A nice variation of up and downhill shots, some interesting vistas. Very good water work, both flat, smooth and planted okay.

I also agree with Brian about the traps (hubby made the same mistake on Alice Boge's Garden); the pot bunkers just don't work with this type of layout. Some of them had some wrinkles in them also.. not bad unless you're in the trap and using the grid, but pretty apparent there. I found you can optimize to about 70% and smooth and still keep the nice trap features without the sharp ridges.

I found the greens challenging also; I like the narrower approaches that really challenge ball placement, but also agree that a few of them were hard to hold with the longer clubs (front left pin on #6 being a good example; a lot of danger in front and back with those nasty weeds!) You had some pretty wicked pins on a few of the holes where there was no place to stop the ball near it on dry. I like wicked greens with a lot of movement (yours qualify!) but with a "safe area" where the ball will stop somewhere nearby. Your greens (and some of your fairways) probably could have used a little more smoothing also. I didn't notice any spikes, the designer's nightmare.

My favorite hole was #14, a beautiful view across the lake and valley, lay up or go to the right. You can see "the big green wall" to the left (the plot edge), which does take away a little and which I try to either avoid or plant so it's hidden.

Overall, I'm quite impressed. It does have the usual beginner errors (as Polslad mentioned, especially the objects on the tees) but other than some things that are more personal preferences, outside of the traps (which just don't seem to fit the layout) I didn't see or experience any glaring mistakes. You did good, and I'm looking forward to your redo on Hempstead and some more courses.
:up:
Annika25
Range Rookie

Post by Annika25 »

Golf courses in the country is the dream of many golfers. But not many can really afford. In general, the clubs charge a higher premium, and have reason to do so. Most of these clubs have been designed by renowned golf architects usually charge a fortune to create. The greens of private courses are also in good condition so that members can enjoy a very private golf experience. In addition, there are country clubs with teachers and professionals with golf courses offering classes to members. Apart from that, private clubs offer many other services for non-golfers.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Annika,

Welcome to the PGA 2000 community. While advertisements for other things can sometimes be helpful, they should probably be posted in another section. This thread is for posts about Fireman's course. He put a lot of effort into his course and deserves a thread with feedback free of clutter. Thanks and again welcome :)
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Annika25,

As you can see, I agreed with sandwedge, and I've deleted the URL for the Bavarian golf course you added to your post.
Stan
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Oh Dar, Stan. :rolleyes:

Another one.