First Design - Chicago Golf Club

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
rsugarman
Chronic Slicer

Re: First Design - Chicago Golf Club

Post by rsugarman »

Brad (Chicago GC designer-Brad :laugh: ),
I also love Raynor and Macdonald courses, so am excited to play CGC! I've always thought that would be a great course to recreate. I agree with the other Brads that it's so nice to have new designers releasing courses to the comparatively small but passionate JN series community.
I have a Raynor/Macdonald-inspired course of my own that is in final playtesting right now called Eatons Neck, a fictional course on the peninsula of the same name on Long Island. Attached are some of my design documents and the names of the holes. If you'd like to be a playtester, let me know and I'll send you the course file.
Welcome to the community! :-)
Rick

PS: Where do I find the course download?
Attachments
Eatons Neck.pdf
(619.06 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Hi Rick,

You can find the courses here:
https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... s/courses/

Right now Brad (Tarheel) is the only one that can add new courses.
I've misplaced my login to add them myself and I've tried to contact BrianZ111 with no luck.
I've tried his website, here at the Forum, and his email, but no replies.

He's gone missing :confused:

randy
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

To all!
Brian is very slow these days to respond. I will try to contact him for you. I need to get ahold of him anyway about my new course that I would like him to post. I'll mention RandyG needs to get a response also.
bj104
Weekend Duffer

Post by bj104 »

Thanks all for the feedback! I'm excited for everyone to get a chance to play it. I did want to go ahead and attach my course notes, the tees/yardages section is particularly important as I wanted to give some longer hole options that would simulate a US Open coming to Chicago. Blue/black tees are the US Open tees, white tees are the actual course back tees, red tees are the actual course forward tees and are close to the original course length. For anyone not familiar with Chicago GC, just a warning that it is quite flat and there are very few trees (see overhead image in course notes). Just didn't want anyone to think I was being lazy with planting- the course is really like that :bg:

Also, I didn't include much of the course history in my notes, but I would encourage everyone who isn't already familiar to look into the back story- it's quite interesting and unique, truly one of the key historic sites for golf in the US.

@Jeff - appreciate the response, several of your courses were what actually inspired me to get started designing! You set the bar very high with Sleeping Bear Downs, it's an absolutely fantastic course and a great sister course to Sleeping Bear National, another of my favorites.

@Rick - Glad to see all the MacRaynor love! Eatons Neck looks like an awesome layout- I would be thrilled to play test, do you have a link to the course file?
Attachments
Chicago GC Info Sheet.pdf
(450.46 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
rsugarman
Chronic Slicer

Post by rsugarman »

Brad, sent you a PM with the link to Eatons Neck.
What is the name of the course/file at https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/files/courses/? Can't find it in the courses list.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Brad, for a first design this looks fantastic!! As you get more acclimated to the designer you will have a few questions so don't hesitate to ask around for a little help. All of the designers here at the site are great and always willing to answer any questions you might have, myself included. Keep those course's coming.
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

SteveHorn wrote: June 29th, 2024, 9:47 am To all!
Brian is very slow these days to respond. I will try to contact him for you. I need to get ahold of him anyway about my new course that I would like him to post. I'll mention RandyG needs to get a response also.
Thanks Steve!
bj104
Weekend Duffer

Post by bj104 »

Sundance wrote: June 29th, 2024, 6:10 pm Brad, for a first design this looks fantastic!! As you get more acclimated to the designer you will have a few questions so don't hesitate to ask around for a little help. All of the designers here at the site are great and always willing to answer any questions you might have, myself included. Keep those course's coming.
Thanks Steve, I've really enjoyed playing your designs and trying to learn from the best!

@Rick, thanks for the link- will be giving Eatons neck a first spin tonight or tomorrow! Chicago has been uploaded using the file upload tool, but it seems it still needs to be processed and added to the course list. I should be able to send a link to the zip file if you are interested, just let me know and I'll PM it. That offer extends to anyone else who would like to check out Chicago before it's officially on the site's course download list.
rsugarman
Chronic Slicer

Post by rsugarman »

I'm definitely interested, appreciate it!
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Sundance wrote: June 29th, 2024, 6:10 pm Brad, for a first design this looks fantastic!! As you get more acclimated to the designer you will have a few questions so don't hesitate to ask around for a little help. All of the designers here at the site are great and always willing to answer any questions you might have, myself included. Keep those course's coming.
Did you by chance send to the other Brad? I did not receive a message about the course. I will get it uploaded to the server when you get it to me!