WorldSwing World Tour 23-24/Recorded Rounds with Tarheel

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: WorldSwing World Tour 23-24/Recorded Rounds with Tarheel

Post by tarheel »

Sundance wrote: April 14th, 2024, 11:31 pm This is a really great course by Galen and the textures are fantastic. And I love the dedication to Sarge, Acemeister and Wormburner. Really miss those guys. Sarge and Ace are the reason I started designing again. They sent me emails once a week urging me to try my hand at JN6 and when I finally gave it a shot they would play test every design for me. Such wonderful people. They played a round every day together and when Ace passed away Sarge was just devastated. Wormburner still played JNSE and would always send me tidbits about their tournaments.

Love following your WS Tour Tarheel!!
I'm glad someone is enjoying it :)

Its the memories each course brings that keeps it living.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 33
First Weekly Venue
Squaw Peak Country Club

Where are we?
Near Scottsdale, Arizona

Squaw Peak Country Club was a design of Matt Rose from March 2000; One of very few GBC designs of his. I see several JN5 courses to his credit. This is a mature course, from the hole design, variety of shots needed, and the visual beauty. Everything about this course keeps to the theme perfectly. One of the few things separating this course from more modern times would be the challenge of the greens, which have become much more difficult over the years.

The course is fictional desert, par 72, 7243 yards, and if you can keep the ball away from the water, you should be able to power your way down the fairways with forced drives to come in for short iron approaches. And as 'every great course' should have, you will find a nicely drivable par 4.

Sadly, Matt hung up design for jN6 after this course, assuming I have a complete list. Five designs overall, including a couple of JN5 courses. Not nearly enough from a talented artist.

PLAY INFORMATION

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
Round 1: Medium - Hard - Pin 3
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
No mulligans (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... w_peak.zip

:golf:
Tarheel’s current hcp: 9
Tarheel's .round files
The 166 yard, par 3 number 11. This desert isn’t totally dry

An approach shot going into the par 4 number 8, 444 yards

Another par 4, seen from the green back to the approach shot. This golfer didn't go for it across the waste area, but it is drivable from the tee with power.

Return to season schedule: http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... 217#p13217
Attachments
scottsdale.jpg
(55.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
squaw_peak-splash.jpg
(24.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
squaw_peak-11_166_par3_tee.jpg
(221.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
squaw_peak-8_444_par4_approach.jpg
(209.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
squaw_peak-16_335_par4_short_greentoappraoch.jpg
(230.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on April 16th, 2024, 8:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

The background fits this course nicely. Another excellent find.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

I've never seen this course before, but will certainly give it a visit. Very impressive all round.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 33
Second Weekly Venue
Outlaw Trail Golf Club

Where are we?
Somewhere out in Nevada

We'll finish our trip into the desert and scrub with Outlaw Trail Golf Club, a theme based and unique golf course by Rick Stephenson from August 2003. Its par 72, 6668 yards, and actually is fairly easy to play with benign conditions. The greens usually are not very difficult. Where this course shines though is the incredible use of thematic material. Each hole is dedicated to an movie, actor, hero or villain of the old west (fictional or real), and trains! You will hear theme music, horses galloping, trains and wind. I wish a couple of gunshots were included, but otherwise its pretty thorough.

There are only 3 pins used (I expect 1,2, and 3) but I realized this too late, so using pins 3 and 4, probably was using the same pin locations.

This is a fun course to conclude a desert tour with so we'll head off now into some courses in the middle of the country for a couple weeks before going to Canada.

Oh, and first we'll have a round at Harbour Town in a couple of days :)

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Mild - Normal - Pin 2
Round 2: Medium - Soft - Pin 4

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... ail_v2.zip

Tarheel's .round files
Dedicated to the Unknown Cowboy, here is the tee of number 3, 170 yards, par 3...notice the train to the left, a recurring theme

Hole 6, par 4, 394 yards, with approach shot just across a waste area you can power drive over

Par 5, 441 yards, Here is the tee shot of 12

Return to season schedule: http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... 217#p13217
Attachments
nevada.jpg
(67.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
outlaw_trail-15_170_par3_unknowntee.jpg
(241.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
outlaw_trail-hole6_par4_394_approach.jpg
(219.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
outlaw_trail-par5_441_tee_loneranger.jpg
(225.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
outlaw_trail-splash.jpg
(23.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 33
PGA Signature Event
The Heritage: Harbour Town 2001

Harbour Town went through a couple of revisions before we got to this 2001 version by Shawn Drake and James Deadman. As testimony to its staying power, I have a LOT of rounds played here. It would be neat to see a modernized version of this one, but I'd take a couple of missing courses like Innisbrook first as this one is still very playable.

This years tournament with its rain delay, looks to be Scheffler to win, just one week after winning the masters, which is something insane when you think about it.

This course is 6938 yards, par 71 and was released Feb of 2001. The two finishing holes are incredibly well done, and the par 3's have it a keeper. Harbour Town is at Hilton Head island. From wikipedia:

"Harbour Town Golf Links was designed by Pete Dye in 1967 with the help of professional golfer Jack Nicklaus. Dye also designed another course in the Sea Pines Resort, Heron Point, which he redesigned in 2007. The course is open all year, even during overseeding in October and the aerating of the greens in June, July, and August. Green fees for public play range from $195 to $470, depending on the season. An estimated 38,000 rounds of golf are played at Harbour Town every year."

I own a T-shirt and a really nice polo-shirt, both with the Harbour Town name and logo on them and I'm happy to say that I've played every round there on GBC essentially for free :)

PLAY INFORMATION

ONE ROUND: Medium - Normal - pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... n_2001.zip

Tarheel’s current hcp: 10
Tarheel's .round files
Hole 18, approach shot coming in to this tricky par 4, with the signature lighthouse.

Par 3, 181 yards, seen from the tee

Almost reachable in two, this is the third shot from the green looking back down the fairway on the par 5, 547 yard number 5

Attachments
harbour_town-splash.jpg
(20 KiB) Not downloaded yet
harbour_town-par4_18_approach_475.jpg
(170.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
harbour_town-7_par3_181yds_tee.jpg
(257.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
harbour_town-5_par5_547_fromgreen_third.jpg
(207.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Was down there when visiting my Brother in Law, never played the course but got some good picks of the tower and surrounding area. Beautiful community!
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 34
First Weekly Venue
Nez Perce Basin

Where are we?
Idaho, Nez Perce

The tour continues after the pause at Harbour Town, and we've flown back out west, where we just finished a tour of several nice looking desert courses. This time everyone should take great pleasure playing Nez Perce Basin, a 2012 group design coordinated by Steve Holden. Each hole is special, and lovingly created by fantastic designers to fit the theme. Some of them are no longer with us, so take a moment to keep each designer, alive or not, in your memory as you enjoy the challenge.

The introduction notes that the Nez Perce are American Indians that helped Lewis and Clark in their expedition and that this course is set in their traditional seasonal camp grounds, preserving the natural beauty around it.

As with most of the group designs, this one is super special.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Mild - Hard - Pin 1
Round 2: Mild - Soft - Pin 4 - 50%fog

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... _Basin.zip

Tarheel's .round files
Hole 16 by Goran Mentzer. This one is a par 4 seen off the tee, with natural splendor ahead

Number 5, 189 yard, par 3 by Jason Rhodes (Muad'dib). Does anyone know anything about him since these days? He was a great GBC player. I'd love to know his thoughts on the new Dune movies.

RIP Charlie, who made this par 5 closing hole. 596 yards, here showing a golfer taking the third shot.

Attachments
idaho.jpg
(70.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
nez_perce_basin-splash.jpg
(21.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
nez_perce_basin-16_tee_par4_goran_444.jpg
(243.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
nez_perce_basin-5_par3_189_rhodesmuad_putting.jpg
(232.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
nez_perce_basin-18_596_third_par5_charlie.jpg
(245.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Tarheel, Thanks for using a Group Design for your tour. So many outstanding designers coordinating their efforts in one project and so much work put into the extras by designers like Charlie, Galen and Brad to make it special. I don't know what happened to Jason who like many drifted off to other games and experiences but the Group Designs always brought a lot back to participate and it was always fun!
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 34
Second Weekly Venue
Cherry Hills

Where are we?
Englewood, Colorado

I got a wee bit behind on rounds thanks to staining a fence all weekend, but the tour organizers were kind enough to delay the start of the second venue of last week for me.

DID YOU KNOW!? As of completion of this course, I've now played 80 different courses and 148 rounds of golf on this tour!

This time we play a GBC classic. This one, Cherry Hills is from June 2002 by Tom Allinder; Who did too few courses for us, but to his credit we also have Hazeltine, Olympia Fields, Azalea Hills, and The Olympic Club (with Antes). It plays 7160 yards and par 71. This is a recreation of a real course, founded in 1922. This from the course website:

"The founders of the Club had the wisdom and foresight to enlist William S. Flynn to design the course. Originally from Philadelphia, Flynn was considered to be one of the premier golf course architects of his time. He was paid the handsome sum of $4,500 to design Cherry Hills, which he described as a top-notch layout with few equals and no superior.

Throughout the years Cherry Hills has stood the test of time and is still considered one of the true classic golf courses in the landscape of American golf. Golf's greatest names have walked the fairways of Cherry Hills and the tradition of championship golf looks to continue for years to come at the Mile High gem."

A notable PGA event was last held here in 2014, the BMW Championship.

Enjoy the classic design. I think the par 5's here are outstanding.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Normal - Pin 3
Round 2: Mild - Hard - Pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/f ... linder.zip

Tarheel's .round files Image
Hole 17 is a par 5 of 555 yards with a second shot risk into a water protected green

Hole 12, par 3, 207 yards with a view

Hole 5, second shot on this par 5, 543 yards. The course gives you views of the city at times, and the distant mountains at others

Attachments
englewood_CO.jpg
(61.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cherry_hills-splash.jpg
(12.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cherry_hills-hole17_555yds_risk.jpg
(210.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cherry_hills-hole12_207_par3.jpg
(210.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cherry_hills-hole5_second_543yds.jpg
(240.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet