Happy Hollow Golf Complex

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: Happy Hollow Golf Complex

Post by Sundance »

ImageThe finishing hole @ Hollow Trails is definitely a target hole. The blind tee shot offers a risk/reward or a layup by shooting left and short. The option is to try and carry the mound and split the bunkers while still finding the small fairway. This will still leave a long iron approach in lieu of a 3 wood to an elevated and well protected green with a large bunker left and water to the right. The undulating dance floor will challenge your putting skills and par here is good. Your mettle will be tested before you reach the clubhouse!

Views from the tee, approach and green. Image
Attachments
Clipboard012.jpg
(432.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard013.jpg
(360.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard014.jpg
(395.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

This last hole is difficult!

After five playtest rounds, this course is a complete success. Its very scenic, and a pretty place to take your clubs and get roughed up, particularly the back nine.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

I agree Brad.

Having also play-tested this course for Steve, I can honestly say that not only is it beautifully crafted, with the textures, plantings and background all perfectly matched, but the challenge it poses is exceptional. How hard it is, is totally dependent on how you choose to play it. If you want to hit big drives, you bring quite a few hazards into play. However, if you lay back to take these hazards out of play, you often leave yourself with quite lengthy second shots to greens that are either hard to hit or hard to hold. Once you get on the green, the subtle breaks will often leave you frustrated as your ball ends up beside or behind the hole by mere inches. This is truly a great course, which will certainly get a run on the Old Timers Competition sometime in the future.

Cheers

Brad
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Thanks again guys for both play testing and the kind words.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Tarheel,
I've sent you the file via One Drive. Let me know if you have any problems with it. I had trouble with Drop Box for some reason. Included is the course, flag and a text file which is basically just each hole quote that was listed in this loop. Thanks again guys for your support and encouragement over the past few years.