Old Timers Competition

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: Old Timers Competition

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched a very entertaining match between Galen and Randy in Rd 3 at Dragons Tail. Galen got off to a quick start with a birdie on the first, but an eagle to Randy on the Par 5 third totally reversed the scores. Randy was unlucky to lip out on 4 and a birdie on 6 saw him double his lead. Galen almost chipped in on 7, leaving it mere inches from the hole. Galen left his long putt from the fringe just short on 9 and Randy took advantage, sinking another birdie to make his lead three at the turn. Randy really turned the screws with three birdies to open the back nine and it looked like it was all over. Galen just missed his birdie putt on 11, which would have gone some way to limiting Randy's run of birdies. Then, out of the blue, Galen was given hope, when Randy four putted 13 and Galen got a fantastic eagle of his own on the Par 4 14th. Galen was very unlucky not to reduce the deficit even further when his putt in 15 and a fantastic chip on 15 both lipped out. Randy wrapped up the match on 17 with a fine birdie, running out a three shot winner. Interestingly, Randy played the Par 5's in 5 under and Galen in 2 under, which just goes to show that you have to take advantage of the longest holes on the course.

Thanks Gentlemen, most enjoyable. :thumbsup:

Here are the results for Rd 3. A great round by Juan saw him share the honours in the Stableford event. Well played Juan! :up:

Attachments
Rd 3 Scores and Results.jpg
(21.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

The final round at Dragon's Tail.
Attachments
Dragon's Tail Golf Course - Galen_rnd4.round
(27.53 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched Galen's final round for the 2023 competition. All I can say is, I have never seen so many putts go so close without falling in, in one round. This could have easily been 6 or 7 shots better, with a smidgen of luck!

Only two round to go to close out our inaugural season.

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Final round. I don't think I did enough to beat out Brad (I'm betting I needed about 2 or 3 strokes better), so I'll bid a congratulations early! It was certainly a really great season and wonderful mix of courses. Thanks everyone!
Dragon's Tail Golf Course - Tarheel - Round 2.round
(25.07 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

To make it more interesting, I have decided that we will have a Champion Golfer of the Year in each of two categories, Handicap and Stableford, and thus two 2023 FedUp Cup winners.

As we are still waiting on Randy's final round, I am going to keep you in suspense a little longer as to who the Champion Golfers of the Year are. The Champion Handicap Golfer is determined by the Handicap scores across all rounds played (adjusted by my little formula).

The Champion Stableford Golfer of the Year will be the player with the highest average Stableford points score across all their rounds. As you haven't seen any average scores for the Stableford events, the winner of this award will be a total surprise.

I just watched Tarheel's final round against my own, and what a well fought contest it was. Due to taking only the best eight scores from the past 20 to determine handicaps, Tarheel's handicap went out by a shot this round, meaning I was giving him three shots head start. As I suggested, this made the final FedUp Cup outcomes very close.

In relation to the Handicap FedUp Cup for 2024, I am still working on a change to the formula, to put some sort of weighting on the score, based on players handicaps, to make the points totals closer, as at the moment it seems to favour the lower handicap players.

Cheers

Brad
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Round 4

I don't play enough to be competitive :rolleyes:
Attachments
Dragon's Tail Golf Course - Randy Rd4.round
(27.39 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Randy,

that's exactly why, in 2024, I am putting the emphasis on Handicap and Stableford results, not Stroke. That way, it makes the playing field more even for all players. I don't think I will even post Stroke results in 2024. Hopefully, my tinkering with the FedUp Cup Handicap scoring system will also make those results even closer. Hang in there partner! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Brad
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched Randy's final round against Galen's round and, yet again, another fantastic contest. Randy jumped out to an early lead with three straight birdies, but a three-putt on Hole 9 saw him take just a one shot lead into the back nine. Another birdie on 12 saw the lead extended to two shots, but two great birdies on 14 and 17 saw Galen fight back to tie it all up with only the last to play. Randy held his nerve after Galen's fightback to birdie the last and take the win by the smallest of margins.

What a great way to finish the 2023 season! :thumbsup:

Below are the final results for our last tournament:

But, most importantly, how did the FedUp Cup results pan out? Well, I can tell you that there was nothing in either competition. Tarheel predicted that he needed to shoot two or three shots better in his last round to catch me for the Handicap honours. Well, had he scored just three shots better, we would have tied, to the fourth decimal point!

Here are the results for the 2023 Handicap FedUp Cup:

If you think that was close, have a look at how the Stableford FedUp Cup finished. I had to go to two decimal points to determine our Stableford Champion Golfer of the year.

Congratulations to Tarheel for a well deserved victor, by 0.04 of a point across the whole year, with Juan a very creditable third, just 0.58 of a point behind second. Only 0.85 of a point covered the whole field. Now that's close!

Below is the 2023 history of our handicaps. As you can see, Randy's course selections for our final event had a telling effect on the handicaps, which also contributed to the closeness of the final results. Good choices Randy! :up:

Thanks for playing in 2023 fellas. I have posted a new thread for the 2024 competition, so please go over there and have a look at what is in store for our first event of the new year.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Rd 4 Scores and Results.jpg
(21.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Tournament Champions.jpg
(20.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Handicap Champion 2023.jpg
(13.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stableford Champion 2023.jpg
(15.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Handicaps.jpg
(124.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2023 FedUp Cup Handicap Champion.jpg
(36.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2023 FedUp Cup Stableford Champion.jpg
(36.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Hey, thanks for running this thing! I’m excited for another year of courses to play! Great choices to start the new year.