Old Timers Competition

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: Old Timers Competition

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just played my first round against my good mate Randy. I know we are playing off the blue tees, but I can't play any better than this. My only blemish was a missed short eagle putt on 16.

However, shot of the round will be hard to beat, with Randy jumping in his approach on Hole 3 for a nice birdie.

Thanks for posting your early round Randy.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Prospect Pass - Brad The Dad - Old Timers - Rd 1.round
(23.36 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

I'm playing ahead to give you all a round to play with. Here is round 3 at Golden Gate. Personally, this is on my list of top courses. Beautifully done, with a nice mix of holes and alternate routes to play them. Putting was very fair, but not necessarily simple. This could easily be a real golf course in the world.
Golden Gate Heights - Tarheel - round 3.round
(24.92 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Thanks Brad.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Round 4.
Golden Gate Heights - Tarheel - round 4.round
(25.55 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just played my Rd 3 against Tarheel and, as per usual, there was nothing in it. When he missed his birdie putt on the second hole, and I managed to jag an eagle with my second shot, I wondered how expensive that would be for him. We went to and fro for the next 16 holes, with me getting further ahead and then Tarheel fighting back to close the gap. In the end however, that two shot gap created on the second hole turned out to be the difference.

This is a terrific course, with some really challenging holes. Played properly, you can score well on all of them, but get anything slightly wrong and you will struggle for par. That is the mark of a champion designer, and there are few who can match Steve in that regard.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Golden Gate Heights - Brad The Dad - Old Timers - Rd 3.round
(24.63 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Prospect Pass, from 9/15 is a remarkable course from our friend Mr. Holden. Another immediate classic. This is my first visit to the course and again, its insane how consistently intelligent his creations are. Here is my first round, played with Randy, who also had a great round. I wonder how this cookie would play in Strong winds from the black tees?

I might add: I played this round after playing Siglufjordur for my wSt 23-24 tour in Strong winds, soft ground and 100% fog, so coming to Prospect Pass was like somebody pulling a bunch of thorns out of my shoes! Not to mention I still had a bunch of sand in my underwear :)

PS It was about one year ago that I installed JN6 on my PC and rediscovered, after very long absence, this great game, of which I have played the hell out of since. And it was during this absence that this course was created...waiting on my return.
Prospect Pass - Tarheel - round 1.round
(24.6 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Last edited by tarheel on September 17th, 2023, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Brad, I, for one, am very glad you re-installed the game on your PC. I just wish we could get more players on the Old Timers Tour.

Cheers

Brad
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

one of the things I enjoy doing is watching the recorded rounds you guys submit.

You don't tend to notice, when you are playing against these rounds, just how much this is a game of inches. I just watched Randy's and Tarheel's first rounds, and while they both had good rounds, they were inches away from having great rounds, and it was all dependent on what happened on or around the green.

Tarheel missed two putts and two chips by inches, that would have improved his score by four shots. Randy misses one chip, but an incredible six putts by the merest of margins. They go in and they are both hitting in the low to mid 50's.

As they say "Drive for show, putt for dough!".

Cheers

Brad
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

You guys have certainly made me feel good about some of my old courses. Thanks for the kind words and Thanks for keeping our game kicking!!
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Rd 2

Very nice front 9 but then cooled off on the backside :-)

randy
Attachments
Prospect Pass - Randy Rd2.round
(25.45 KiB) Downloaded 202 times