Old Timers Competition

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: Old Timers Competition

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just played my Rd 4 against Galen. I think it would be an understatement to say that Galen has had better times on the greens. (Charlie's notes on the course indicate that the pins get progressively harder. All I can say is, thank Heaven we didn't play Pin 5! :eek: )

I'm glad I picked mild conditions for us to play this brute, but that doesn't detract from the challenge of first getting onto the green, and then doing something with your putter. I think, without any shadow of a doubt, this is the hardest course Charlie ever designed. But, while you're playing it, take your time to admire its beauty, as few JN6 links courses have ever been better crafted.

Yet again, Lady Luck was smiling on me, with more than one fortuitous bounce, so I'm very happy with this round.

Galen, your one consolation is that you get to pick our next venue(s) and conditions.

Here's how our rounds played to date stand.

Cheers

Brad

Attachments
Rounds played to date.jpg
(16.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Sorry fellas,

forgot to post my .round file.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Cuchulainn - Brad The Dad - Old Timers - Rd 4.round
(24.93 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
JuanMenestrina
Scratch Golfer

Post by JuanMenestrina »

My third round, very fun! i´ve been testing the driver from the fairway.
Juan
Attachments
Purgatory Creek Golf Club - Juan Menestrina2023_third round.round
(27.97 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Round 3. This course is incredibly difficult. I had several very lucky chips.
Purgatory Creek Golf Club - Tarheel - Round 3.round
(25.87 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched all four Rd 3 games posted so far. I think it's fair to say that people have struggled to get the ball in the hole. Tarheel's normally uncanny chipping ability deserted him on a few holes, leaving him inches from the cup. Juan really struggled on the front nine, but had a far more controlled back nine, leading to a seven shot improvement.

So far, Charlie's courses have proven to be a terrific challenge and I'm sure Juan, Tarheel and Randy will find Cuchulainn no different.

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Got 'em all done! Long time since I played here last (2005 in fact). Very good course, and could you imagine pin 5 in strong wind?

Brad - Thanks for the email! Fortunately, the storm crossed to the coast well to the east of where we live (we live in western North Carolina around Charlotte). Just getting a bunch of rain here.

Charlie - Thank you for giving us these very well done, handsome, golf courses. They are a major challenge! I'm also honoring your work on PGA Tarheel today, with a Par 3.
Cuchulainn - Tarheel - round 4.round
(24.91 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched Tarheel's and my Rd 4's together, and what a contest it was. I got an early jump on him, but, to his credit, he fought back and we were even going into the back nine. We went to and fro for most of this nine, with only my lucky bounces on 17 making the difference in the end. We are so even in ability, on one hole our approach shots were within one inch of each other on the green. Good fun!

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

You are being generous Brad. I’m close to you but not even. You generally get me by a stroke or two with regularity :)
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

BradTheDad wrote: August 28th, 2023, 4:42 am just played my Rd 4 against Galen. Galen, your one consolation is that you get to pick our next venue(s) and conditions.
Time to honor another of our prolific designers. Up next, Steve Holden's latest creation, Golden Gates Heights and an oldie but also golden, Prospect Pass. I'll be posting links and conditions sometime next week.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Galen_Golf4676 wrote: September 1st, 2023, 8:58 am
BradTheDad wrote: August 28th, 2023, 4:42 am just played my Rd 4 against Galen. Galen, your one consolation is that you get to pick our next venue(s) and conditions.
Time to honor another of our prolific designers. Up next, Steve Holden's latest creation, Golden Gates Heights and an oldie but also golden, Prospect Pass. I'll be posting links and conditions sometime next week.
Fantastic choices!