Old Timers Competition

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Re: Old Timers Competition

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

Final round at Castle Pines. Went risky on a few holes and paid the penalty. :wavey:
Attachments
castle pines2004 - Galen-R4.round
(26.03 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Round 3. This is a fantastic course. I’m not sure I have played it before today. Landing off the tee is really important on many holes to avoid awkward second shots that have to curve severely. One of Mr Armstrong’s finest.
Attachments
castle pines2004 - Tarheel - round 3.round
(25.21 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

Rd 3 is completed and it is the closest round we have had in Stroke play so far. Tarheel's impeccable round of 60 saw him just pip Galen, while in the Handicap and Stableford events, Juan took an almost unassailable overall lead, with yet another solid round.

At the end of this tourney however, Juan's handicap will be based on his best eight scores from his last twenty rounds, as are Tarheel's and mine. So, that should make the Handicap and Stableford events even closer.

The other thing that stands out is that it pays to play well on the holes you are getting shots on, as minor variations in Stroke scores can lead to vastly different outcomes in the Handicap and Stableford scores.

You guys are all getting better, as the handicaps will show when I post the graph after Round 4.

Looking forward to the final results.

Cheers

Brad

Attachments
Rd 3 Scores and Results.jpg
(19.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

I'm all caught up now. Round 4. I was swinging well today. This was a good stress reliever. My mom had to go into the hospital today for heart failure (she has been in a nursing home for 5 years for dementia, so surprisingly, this was her first medical issue). She is doing a LOT better tonight than she was this morning.
castle pines2004 - Tarheel - Round 4.round
(24.89 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
I will put up conditions for the next event and play a round in advance for you all when you are ready Brad.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

another event finished and it was definitely the closest ever, with varying round winners and not much in the final results.

After playing two almost flawless rounds at Castle Pines, Tarheel managed to claw back my early lead in the Stroke event, taking Rd 4 by 3 shots and the overall Stroke Play title by a mere 0.5 of a shot. Well played Brad, your consistently close approaches and great putting saw you come out a worthy champion.

In the Handicap and Stableford events, our ever improving Argentinian friend proved way too strong, winning three of the four rounds and both overall titles. Well done Juan! It will be interesting to see how your handicap pans out in the next event.

Galen still has one more event before he also has his handicap determined by his best eight results from his last twenty rounds. That will then mean that we are all being handicapped on the same basis.

As you will see from the graph, Galen and Juan are both on the improve, while Tarheel and I remain pretty constant. Tarheel's slight dip at the end is brought about by dropping off a 57 from his best eight scores (21 rounds ago) and replacing it with his latest 59.

Thanks for playing fellas. I hope we will continue to have many more close events.

Cheers

Brad

Attachments
Rd 4 Scores and Results.jpg
(18.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Tournament Champions.jpg
(17.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stroke Champion.jpg
(44.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Handicap Champion.jpg
(43.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Stableford Champion.jpg
(43.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Handicaps.jpg
(56.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

after trying a multitude of different parameters to work out the best way to determine our FedUp Cup scores, I have come to the conclusion that the truest way of determining our best player over the course of the year is to just add up all their Handicap Scores since Galen joined our ranks, with the lowest aggregate score being the FedUp Cup Champion at the end of the year.

So, on that basis, here is the current status of the FedUp Cup.

Attachments
FedUp Cup Progress Scores.jpg
(10.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Thanks for doing this Brad! It really is hard fighting that handicap :)

Playing four rounds a week on my personal tour of the PGA has most certainly helped my game. I tend to get an average wind difficulty centered on Medium winds, and not infrequently strong winds come out (once gusty!), which has helped me zero in more. Its really been fun. I’ve already created a separate thread for my planned trip around the globe of courses starting September when the PGA season ends (though likely going to be revising if some of these new courses are done by then, because they look so good).

I’ll try to play my first round of the next event tonight and post up some conditions for everyone. I was slow getting rounds played on the last event due to vacations and such. Nowhere to go until July 4th week now.
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

The FedUp Cup! I like it.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Galen,

this is the thought behind it. I thought of it not long after we started the comp.

Hi Guys,

seeing we are now in a position to have results by the round and results by the tournament, how about we have a longer term championship, going through to around Christmas?

I was thinking, given all the constraints we are all put under these days, we might call it the FedUp Cup.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Here we go guys! This time I've got my rounds early for you to play with. I played back to back since I've got four days of JN6 for my PGA tour starting tomorrow for the US Open

Conditions for our event are located at:
http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... 744#p12744

but to sum up Acadia its:
round 1 - white tees - medium - hard - pin 3
round 2 - black tees - mild - normal - pin 4

Here are my first two rounds at Acadia:
This is a special course, and the white tees make it quite different as there are a couple of holes that invite you to real danger. I'll be honest and say that I generally chickened out when large carries over water were involved. This is a course I really want to play in strong winds, so might do that for fun/torture. I think this course has some of my favorite Par 3’s I’ve played in a while.