Old Elk by Jim Hall [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Old Elk by Jim Hall [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Old Elk (38.1 MB)
Type: Fictional, Mountain
Designer: Jim Hall
Date: 5/12/2023
Libraries Used: old_elk_lib
KSBC6499
Chronic Slicer

Re: Old Elk by Jim Hall [New Course]

Post by KSBC6499 »

Well im back for my weekly Jim Hall review series,lol. Actually I cant review it because I ran into a play issue. Whenever I tried to chip or hit from the texture of "first cut" I would swing and miss. Tried it many times. I putted to get off of it.. Once, I landed in the first cut and was about 20 yards from the green and the caddie recommended a 5 wood!? I had to stop after 4 holes. I dont know if this is just me but maybe you can play test yourself to see. Might be something do with the properties of that texture. what I played is awesome tho! let me know if its just me :/
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I had a quick 18 here.
First impression is it's very dark.
Some holes are over complicated for my liking (personal choice is all) like hole 4, and some holes are very straight forward. Love the challenge of a 300yd downhill par 4, we all love to go for a drivable green?
Course is constructed very well, mounding and contours are super smooth from what I could see, but some area's of the course seem a little 'empty' and very open.
Had the same issue with the first cut of rough, caddie hands you a 1 iron, even for chips, with a duff to follow.

Seems like there's only Jim designing and releasing courses at the moment.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Thanks for the heads-up on the first cut issue. It was a texture properties error on my part. I've fixed the issue and am uploading the fixed course. I've asked Brian to replace the problem course with the new one.

Thanks for reviewing my courses, I really appreciate your efforts and the feedback!
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

The updated course has now replaced the old version for the download.
KSBC6499
Chronic Slicer

Post by KSBC6499 »

Thanks for fixing the issue,Jim now I am able to play..
Once again upon opening,we have another great pano..
The terrain colors are a little different for sure,Id probably prefer something more green. The trees are very nice,I could see this libary used more.
The blends arent quite as noticeable as Bison Ridge,but they still have a nice effect if you are in the right spot. Design wise its similar,some drivable holes, some longer, some straightforward and some like the mentioned #4 and others like 17 where there are many options..I dont mind a complicated hole sometimes,Ive probably designed a few of those before lol. The gully running between 8-9 is a nice touch. Everything is smooth,the greens are nice as always,maybe a bit smaller this time? or I was just landing closer to the hole...some areas,mainly the par 3's did seem kinda too empty/wide open. The 16th uphill par 3 was really nice tho. Its great to have someone still designing, Ill have to dust off a course or 2 Ive got laying around to upload here. Nice work again, I'll keep an eye out for the next one.

Kent (KSBC6499)