Thank You

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
purlin
Range Rookie

Thank You

Post by purlin »

To Viper and this website
Just played a round for the first time in twenty years and it was great.
I gave up on pga when I upgraded to windows xp etc. trueswing only worked on windows 98 for me.
The fixes for windows 10 makes it feel like the original game, hard but not too hard.........
I was only 15 over on my first round back :laugh:
I probably won't play much, but at least it's there to play
Cheers :golf:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Thank You

Post by SteveHorn »

purlin!
I'm having more success with truswing now then I have in the past 5 years or more. My mouse seems to be working better for me even though I've used this mouse for years.
purlin
Range Rookie

Post by purlin »

Quick Update!!!
I got over excited
It's still awful.....forgotten how bad it is near water and bunkers
You can go three clubs up and still end up in the bunker....there's a noticeable lag in your swing
I think it just needs to be played with an old ps2 ball mouse :shrug:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

purlin
Although the game was made with ball mouse in its hay day You can have good success with a laser mouse. You may need to adjust some settings in your mouse configuration. Also in task manager get rid of any unnecessary background task using up memory, CPU and disk performance. Older computers seem to have issues with disk performance. Also, in task manager after launching PGA2000 go to details tab and set priority for PGA2000 to High.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

If your mouse software has options for polling rate and DPI (or CPI) there’s a few things you can try. I use the following settings and I’ll explain the theory behind them:

Mouse software:
  • Polling Rate: 125 hz
  • DPI (or CPI): 3200
Windows mouse settings:
  • Windows pointer speed 3rd tick from the left.
  • Enhance pointer precision unchecked.
According to the internet the old PS/2 interface refreshed at either 80 or 100 hz (depending on the source, I didn't find a definitive answer). The lowest setting for my mouse and (most USB mice) is 125 hz. If you can bring it down to 80 or 100 hz, it may be the only thing you have to do. We are trying to match the old interface since that is what the game is designed for. With newer mice and higher polling rates, sometimes your may notice your player stops before even getting to the ball on his downswing. I think that swinging fast with these mice may overwhelm the game with input to the point where it can't keep up and funky things happen as a result.

I have found it also helpful to reduce the mouse speed in Windows and crank up the DPI (or CPI) in your mouse software to compensate. The middle setting in Windows (6 from the left) is one to one, what your mouse sends is exactly what Windows passes on to the cursor (or the game). So lower settings cause windows to drop some of the input from your mouse and therefore send less of it to the game. There's a chart here that tells what windows does when you change the speed setting: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1251055 ... t-14057555 Unfortunately no math will translate 125 hz to 100 hz (or any of my mouses's other settings, 250 hz, 500 hz, 1000 hz) so I just try to get under that number. I have found it helpful to lower the Windows setting to 3 from the left. This will make your cursor really slow at normal DPIs though so that is why I then crank the DPI in my mouse settings up to 3200 to compansate. This actually brings me well under 100 hz but seems to work. You can just set your DPI to whatever makes cursor speed seem normal.

Always have Enhance pointer precision unchecked. Having it checked causes Windows to add acceleration and mess your swing up and was a problem even back in the PS/2 ball mouse days.

It’s not perfect, I still get the occasional mishit shot, but it’s far better than it was. It went from a mishit every other shot with default mouse settings to maybe once or twice a round. Once or twice a round may have just been how it always was and feels realistic. I remember that back in the day a lot of people noticed mishits hitting over water. It was kind of a mysterious thing and my theory on that is we know we have to make the carry and subconsciously speed up our swing a little. This causes the timing to be off which creates a mishit in this game. Much like real golf, swinging hard doesn't always equal hitting it further.