Samuel's Crossing by Steve Holden [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Samuel's Crossing by Steve Holden [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Samuel's Crossing (58.6 MB)
Type: Fictional | Location: USA
Designer: Steve Holden
Date: 12/15/2022

Images and Documents: Samuel's Crossing Post
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: Samuel's Crossing by Steve Holden [New Course]

Post by Sundance »

Thanks Brian!!
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

I played Samuel's Crossing for the first time during my lunch break at work. This is a 10/10 course. One expects this when Steve is creating the course. I find his courses offer a solid track record of playable, beautiful and intellectual layouts that are usually challenging. I think this is one of his best design aesthetically. The background, trees, everything is easy on the eyes and feels quite natural. I could see this as a real course. It plays as a moderately difficult course, and you have many opportunities to exercise decision making for how much risk to take. There are no dull holes. When you take chances and end up in trouble, you will be working hard to salvage par since putts aren’t going to be straight. I enjoyed the mix of wind in the face and behind your back so it didn’t feel unnatural. The amount of custom scenery is enormous. The course overhead and hole overhead are characteristic of Steve and I could recognize his work anywhere with the extra attention to detail. I will definitely play this course many times so that I can learn more about where to place drives because clearly some landing areas are better than others with local knowledge.

Fantastic job!

10/10

I seriously do not want to see his design career for JN6 end anytime soon. I started going through my collection to look at all the Holden designs I have and I really feel like I need to do a designer’s tour soon.

Attached is my round with Medium, Normal, Pin 3
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Brad, Thank You for the very kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed Samuel's Crossing and after reading your post realize that you definitely get this course and how to approach it. Most of my recent designs challenge you to take risks but also give you the option to play it safe (but what's the fun in that)! Thanks again for keeping our old game going.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Steve,

just played Samuel's Crossing against you and Brad H. Absolutely loved the course. The overall challenge is great and the subtle elevation changes on the greens make putting a real bonus to the playing experience.

I played Bingo, Bango, Bongo against you two, and while Brad and I both scored better than you off the stick, your superior knowledge of the courses saw you come out the winner. Which just backs up your and Brad's comments about having to get to know the course over several rounds to play it really well.

Keep 'em coming Mr Holden. Love your designs.

Cheers

Brad
Last edited by BradTheDad on December 28th, 2022, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Thanks Brad. Appreciate you taking the time to comment. I'm shocked that my score beat you guys though because I've seen the scores you guys put out there on a regular basis!!!