2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

Goran wrote: December 9th, 2022, 3:33 pm I remember Guy Nicholson, he was one of the very best in my opinion. He did not attend the design forum we had then, and was a bit of a mystery. I tried to contact him for a co-design, but never got a reply. What was the name of his other courses, I would like to have a look at them for nostalgy reasons?
Howdy!

Here are the ones I know of:

Gros Morne Golf Club
Highland Links
Ko'olau Golf Club
Muskoka Downs*
Nicholson's Grant
Milford Track

*will be played on my tour later this season

So I guess its just 5 more besides Milford.
aristocrat48
Chronic Slicer

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by aristocrat48 »

I have to agree. His designs were just outstanding. If you want to look at one of the best holes ever designed, get Gros Morne and go to the 18th hole, play it, then stand on the green and look back to the tee.....absolutely spectacular.

PS Just went back and played the whole course. His overheads are just artful. it would take me a couple months just to do those!!!
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

aristocrat48 wrote: December 10th, 2022, 7:49 am If you want to look at one of the best holes ever designed, get Gros Morne and go to the 18th hole, play it, then stand on the green and look back to the tee.....absolutely spectacular.
PS Just went back and played the whole course. His overheads are just artful. it would take me a couple months just to do those!!!
The views are what made me admire his courses most. The holes were good too I guess, or I would not have played them many times. But every screen was like a painting I would like to hang on my wall.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

SPECIAL PGA EVENT
The Match

Tonight, there is a special event with Woods, McIlroy, Spieth, and Thomas playing a best ball match for 12 holes, with mixed in competitions for closest to pin and "one club" challenges. This will be hosted at Pelican Golf Club near Tampa, FL.

This course doesn't exist for our game, so I've chosen a Florida substitute that looks open and appropriately 'palm' enough to play instead. We will be playing at Seminole Golf Club, which comes to us from Chris Clouser in June, 1999. Chris fashioned a lot of courses for Jack Nicklaus golf, including from JNSE. This course is his translation of a real course in Florida. I think its a solid version and is a very relaxing 18 holes. I really like his bunker work. Unfortunately, a number of tees are not flat, so you will need to make sure to check before launching. Also, there are a couple of trees with invisible branches that can snag you if you dangle a ball out there too close, but the sparsity of trees overall makes that a somewhat remote possibility.

This course is a power hitter dream, and with the nearly windless conditions today, you should absolutely set some records. Also, there are some really really flat areas on the greens if you put it in the right place.

I will be setting up a scenario here to represent "The Match" tonight so check the special rules

THE TOURNAMENT

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
One Round Only: Mild - Normal - Pin 5

18” gimmes (although I’m not taking them)
No mulligans
BLACK tees
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

SPECIAL RULES

As we are playing along with "The Match" I want to give it that same feel.
Please play your round with my round file AND with two computer golfers. Pick a computer golfer as your partner and give the other to me.

This is a Best Ball competition.

1 point is given to the team that has a player hitting the low score on the hole. Nobody receives a point if the teams tie for low score.

ALL par 3's are a closest to pin competition. Whichever team has a player closest to the pin off the drive and ON THE GREEN (not fringe), that team earns an additional point on that hole*

Holes 6 and 18 are ONE CLUB challenges. The human players (i.e. you and me!) must choose one club and use it for the ENTIRE hole, including putting. Whichever of us beats the other gives an additional point to their team. If we tie, neither gains this bonus.

The winner overall is the team with the most earned points.

HANDICAP OPTION: my current Worldswing handicap over last 20 rounds (avg course par - my avg score) x 0.8 is eight. Therefore, add one stroke to my score on each of the hardest eight holes on the course. Estimate your handicap and do the same process.

*closest to pin: best way to know who is closest to pin, is pay attention to the order the game allows people to play their ball, whichever of the players who drove onto the green putts last, is likely the one who drove closest to the pin!

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... ole_gc.zip <-- url fixed

:golf:
Tarheel's .round files:
View of hole 6 from the tee.

View from the tee area of 13

View from the green back on #15

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
Seminole_splash.jpg
(18.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Seminole_hole6fromtee.jpg
(186.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Seminole_hole13fromteearea.jpg
(179.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Seminole_hole15_fromgreen.jpg
(189.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

SPECIAL PGA EVENT
QBE Shootout Finals

Over the last several days, during the PGA break, there has been a teams play tournament in Naples Florida at Tiburón Golf Club. Since this was not a tour event, I decided to represent it in our season here just with the final day. The golf course they played is not in our catalog, so I chose a bruiser as a replacement.

Today, prepare to take a few punches to the face from Atlantis Championship Course created by Jim "BigBIrd" Deadman 5/1/13. He produced a good number of courses for JN6 that look great. One of my favorites being Edisto Creek but also Dedham, Berly Ravine, Madeira, to name just a few. His courses are often tricky. Yardage 7493 yds, Atlantis CC is beautiful and deadly and I found the visuals lovely to look at, but it was frustratingly difficult at times. You can get into a lot of trouble while you tour the 18 here. Many holes feature water, and many of the greens are unforgiving. You will likely roll over the back of a green many times, and I challenge you to finish and not splash once.

I think if you go into this course knowing what you are getting into, you can enjoy it for the challenge it presents. This is a hugely different campaign compared to yesterdays course! Because it is so difficult, I think instead of following the QBE format and playing a best ball type of game, you might enjoy making this a scratch match using handicaps. See the special rules. (PS I tried to play with three computer opponents and they were horrible and it actually rapidly became boring so I restarted and played solo. Computer does not handle a tricky course like this AI-wise)

Jim says this himself: "Do not be fooled by her beauty...the bitch has teeth"

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Medium - Normal - Pin 2

No mulligans
BLACK tees

SPECIAL RULES

I suggest you play against my round as scratch golf with handicaps UNLESS you think we are similar golfers, in which case play this as a MATCH PLAY

My current Worldswing handicap over last 20 rounds (avg course par - my avg score) x 0.8 is 8. So add 8 to my score at the end of the round. Estimate your handicap based on how you feel you have been playing and do the same for you. If you want to start keeping your own, just keep up with how many strokes under par you hit (if under) and use most recent 20 average and multiply x 0.8, rounding appropriately. Then use the difference between our handicaps to have the better player add that many strokes to final round score

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... ntisGC.zip <--fixed link
Tarheel's .round files: Image
Hole 15, short par 4 but VERY DANGEROUS to drive this green since you'll roll and roll to the water

Hole 11 from the fairway

Hole 12 from the fairway, a par 5 that you can’t reach in 2. If you aren’t careful, you’ll be happy to get there in 5!

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
Atlantis_splash.jpg
(17.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Atlantis_hole15-shortpar4-fromgreen.jpg
(156.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Atlantis_hole11-fromfairway.jpg
(194.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Atlantis_hole12-fromfairway.jpg
(188.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on June 29th, 2023, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club Czech Republic

Welcome to the really cold climate of the mountains of Bohemia of the Czech Republic. Today, the WorldSwing Tour brings our vacation to Bohemian Forest, a golf course brought to us by another awesome designer, Voyen Koreis, designer of many high quality JN designs such as Apple Isle and Australian Links at the Headlands. This course was originally for JN5 and then updated a year later in 10/99 for JN6. Its a mountain course with great views of castles high above you. You are surrounded by woodlands as well. Snowy mountain peaks may be viewed far in the distance from time to time to help give you that high elevation vibe. Its not a very long course, so you do get the chance to pull out the short irons on some approaches and there is a tricky but very short par 3 on a lake which I really like. The fairways roll a good bit and you do need to check your drive placement to make sure you don't find yourself blocked on approach by an annoying tree or rolling into water after a longer than expected carry/roll. You get a few holes with a choice of fairway to keep things interesting. A couple of tees aren't level, but mostly they are just fine. I like the birds you will hear, so you’ll need to pretend its summer or springtime, which was probably the intent of the design.

Tomorrow, we fly to Easter Island and some big statues, so get to the airport instead of hanging around with your dark beers!

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Medium - Soft - Pin 3

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... estGBC.zip <-- fixed url

Tarheel's .round files:
VIew from the green at hole 7 to one of the awesome castles on the cliffs.

Approach view on hole 12

Tee on hole 16

Attachments
bohemian_hole7atgreen.jpg
(299.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bohemian_12fromapproach.jpg
(247.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bohemian_16fromtee.jpg
(280.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bohemian_splash.jpg
(25.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 11th, 2023, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club Easter Island

Flying on an F-22 was just quick enough to get us from Bohemia out to Easter Island in the South Pacific last night, for some warmer temperatures and magical golf! The faces of the Moai greet us mysteriously as we tee off at Rapa Nui Golf Resort designed by Manuel Kellner in March 2001. This fantasy course is really fun and eerie. I really do feel like I'm totally alone out there after the initial song at the first tee, although I fancy its sung by spirits. And on the green of 18, I for the first time felt real people were around. Atmospheric chilling music greets us on some tees and there often are strange scuttling sounds from the brush. Rats? What sort of creature in this otherwise deserted land? I love the scattered statues.

You have many opportunities to rip at the ball, but I'll warn you that you have a lot of opportunity also to end up in trouble out in the vegetation. In addition, the fairways are eager to roll your ball off track. These fairways have a lot of slopes to them. I love #10. This looks like an impossible tee shot, but the key is to rip it hard over the cliff that is topped with statues looking down on you to find the fairway. There are two par 4's that I remember to be very drivable albeit with risk of really untidy ball position if not on the green.

Mr Kellner did a great job, and we will see some more of his work Dec 22nd in Greece. But before that, we are travelling to Egypt overnight to play at the Pyramids!

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Medium - Hard - Pin 1

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... pa-Nui.zip <-- url fixed

Tarheel's .round files:
Rapa-Nui - Tarheel - Medium - Dry - Pin1.round
(25.13 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Number 17 from the tee

Like I mentioned above, rip your teeshot over this hill to hit this almost secret landing area on number 10

Hole 8 is drivable, but this green isn't big, and if you are off the mark, it might be messy

Attachments
rapa-nui_hole10blindlandingarea.jpg
(210.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rapa-nui_splash.jpg
(23.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rapa-nui_hole17tee.jpg
(205.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rapa-nui_hole8fromgreen.jpg
(272.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club Egypt

You couldn't ask for a more tiring journey than flying from Bohemia to Easter Island and then back to Egypt, but here we are! The brochures for our location today, Valley of the Kings, show a picturesque course near famous archeological wonders winding its way towards the Nile and back. However, looks like we have a sandstorm slowly gathering force so you may have to strain your eyes to see the beauty, go figure!

This course, coming to us from David Lewis, 12/99, is 6822 yds from the black tees and is one of the greats. He gave us some courses in the early days of JN series, but not that many strictly for JN6. However, I think all his courses are great (see Cenotes de los mayas). I love the custom details added to the course and the colors used which immerse you in the local geography. You can often grip it and rip it, but this might come back to bite you as you get closer to the Nile, and as I discovered in my tee time, a difficult to read lie might catapult a ball where you least expect it to go!

Take some extra water with you, and please wear sand goggles and cover yourself with robes for this one...

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Strong - Hard - Pin 5 - 60% fog (dust)

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... _kings.zip <-- url fixed

Hole 12 from the tee looking at some archeological marvels

From the approach as you get to the Nile and transition from sand to some greenery! Watch out for the water I warn you

Hole 9 from the tee area with more kodak moments. Don't shank a ball into the man on the camel!

Attachments
vofthek-hole12-fromtees.jpg
(205.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
vofthek-hole15-fromapproach.jpg
(232.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
vofthek-hole9-fromteejpg.jpg
(159.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
vofthek-splash.jpg
(17.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club Italy

A short hop over the Mediterranean and we climb up the boot to Ossola, Italy for our next adventure. This time we are in the Alps. Golf Club Alpino, designed by Andrea Cavallari (6/2007) is different from our previous adventures at least in one way. This course has no sand traps! I didn't even think about it until midway through because it actually never felt odd. The course features natural landscapes that help feed your choices of ball placement and there are often rocky hillsides close and in play. Water occasionally challenges you, but its only dangerous if you are taking chances. In particular, I remember hole 10 having an island green, where the water might be in play if you are very aggressive. Significant elevation changes are entertaining, and more than once you will have a blind shot at the pin. Overall, Andrea made a fun golf course and I will return one day for sure.

I hope you enjoyed our four day adventures in Europe, Africa and Polynesia! Next week we get four more courses including a couple to celebrate the season.

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Mild - Normal - Pin 4

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... alpino.zip <-- fixed link

Tarheel's .round files:
Hole 14 from the tee. I didn't find the Par 3's on this course to be a piece of cake. Tricky putts wait.

Blind approach shots on a couple of holes are fun. This one on 6, with a severe change of elevation as you must drop it on the hole from above.

Hole 13 approach shot, another blind shot as the hole is hidden behind the rocky hillside.
Notice in all these holes: NO SAND TRAPS!

Attachments
GCAlpino-splash.jpg
(22.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GCAlpino-hole13approach.jpg
(199.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GCAlpino-hole14fromteepar3.jpg
(213.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GCAlpino-hole6par4.jpg
(220.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 14th, 2023, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club Greece

We've had a few days recovery from our trip around the globe for last weekend and we only go a short distance from our sojourn in Italy just over to Greece today. The rest is going to be needed, because we are all going to be treated to the delights of the monk's at Meteora Monastery Mountains, a vigorous testing of your ball placement skills, tolerance for frustration and intellect. Last weekend, we played a Kellner course at Easter Island, which was quirky at times and oozed theme. This course takes it a bit further. The theme is everywhere, and I love the custom objects out there. In the background, as he points out, you will recognize the high mountain that James Bond assaulted with his team at the end of For Your Eyes Only, probably one of Roger Moore's best and more serious in his run. Each hole will give you a puzzle you need to solve, either finding a good drive landing site or navigating a maze of options as what club to use to get around/over/through obstacles. Hole # 5 for example, complete obstruction, however I know there is a secret path through it and have found it before and ended up with a nice approach shot. I'll let you play with me to see if I solved the puzzle today.

I like this course overall, but you need to know that you are in for a very strange round of golf surrounded by beautiful artwork. Many things are not as they seem. Putting brings you some of its own challenges, some extremely easy and others will have you ripping your eyes out.

Have a good time with me! Laugh with me! Celebrate with me! And have a bottle of Bourbon to also forget with me...

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Mild - Normal - Pin 5

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... estary.zip <-- url fixed

Hole 17, a short par 3 over some trees near a religious building. Here, I am either raising my hands to the Lord for help or I'm celebrating...

Every hole is different. Here is a fun massive elevation difference down to a green from this approach area.

Hole 3 tee towards the Bond location mentioned above. Notice the uphill from the tee.

Attachments
meteora-hole3_fromtee_bond.jpg
(285.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
meteora-hole14_approach_bigdownhill.jpg
(221.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
meteora-splash.jpg
(27.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
meteora-triumph.jpg
(252.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.