2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
ETphonehome
Chronic Slicer

Re: Play the PGA tour with Tarheel! (Casual golfing with .round files)

Post by ETphonehome »

This is so cool that you're doing this Tarheel! I've never played JN6 but I sucked at JN5 so I can't imagine this would go any better. I would be totally on board with this if I had the time to practice to get decent at JN6.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: Play the PGA tour with Tarheel! (Casual golfing with .round files)

Post by tarheel »

Thanks for the reply! Well, this is totally without a ‘competitive’ edge :). Feel free to quietly load my rounds up and play alone with me and see how you do. Its a great way to learn how to play and just enjoy the courses. I’m concurrently playing PGA 2k23 on my PS system (which I just won Q-school!), and quite honestly I enjoy both games easily equally! The later game really gets my goat in putting. But I still find JN6 the more ‘fun’ for a player, and I enjoy the processes of reading the lie and shot selection better. Totally different games, each with their own rewards and annoyances.

Come ride this with me and enjoy your other games at the same time :)
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: PGA tour, rounds with Tarheel (updated weekly for 2022 and 2023)

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK EIGHT
Worldwide Technology Championship at Mayakoba

As per last week, I'm posting one round at a time as I play them each day of the tournament.

This week the PGA goes to Mexico to play the really neat course of El Camaleon. Unfortunately, GBC doesn't have it so I had to find a nice alternate. It was suggested to look at Palm Harbor and this did seem a good choice. It has that beach resort, palm tree, vibe I wanted for a course on the Gulf of Mexico.

This is another fantastic golf course designed by Steve Holden. Beautiful scenery and calming background sounds. Be warned, fairways are tight and the wind will be blowing right at you for the first part of your round. You will be taking long irons into these greens often. The greens can be pretty tricky as well and overall this course feels like a championship course from the get go. I thought last week was difficult at times, but this one takes it in spades. Steve has designed a wealth of goodness for JN6, a body of work that is amazing. This is my first trip to this course and I wonder how things will end up score-wise.

Good luck!

THE TOURNAMENT

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
Round 1: Medium, Pin 1, Normal
Round 2: Medium, Pin 2, Normal
Round 3: Medium, Pin 3, Normal
Round 4: Mild, Pin 4, Normal

18” gimmes (although I’m not taking them)
No mulligans
BLACK tees
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... harbor.zip <-- url fixed
:golf:
Tarheel's .round files:
Beautiful views all around, this is number 17 from the tee

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
Palm_harbor_splash.jpg
(23.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
palm_harbor_hole 17_tee.jpg
(257.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK NINE
Cadence Bank Houston Open

We return to the USA for tournament action this week. The real PGA is playing in Houston at Memorial Park Golf Course which isn't represented with material in GBC database, so a nice substitute is the beautifully fashioned The Woodlands CC - Tournament course courtesy of the duo Galen Geier and Dirk Ephlin dated 6/2/09. This is a real course in the Houston area. Both of these are well known designers in JN6 with a body of fantastic creations. This course is marvelous, with custom scenery and and really looks great from every tee. Hole overheads have attention to detail, to the point and serve perfectly. I love the color choices and textures.

As a golf course, there are risk/reward shots and reachable par 5's to keep it exciting. I love courses with water challenges, and its here. This actually is my first time getting tee times on this version of the course and after the tournament, I will certainly come back!

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Mild, Pin 3, Hard
Round 2: Mild, Pin 4, Normal
Round 3: Strong, Pin 2, Normal
Round 4: Mild, Pin 5, Normal

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... dlands.zip <-- url fixed
Tarheel's .round files:

From the green back to 17 approach area.

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
Woodlands-hole17-fromgreentoapproach.jpg
(190.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The Woodlands Splash.jpg
(19.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK TEN
The RSM Classic

Hello and welcome to some colder temperatures at the RSM Classic. Day 1 kicks off in upper 40's with some wet ground from rains earlier in the week. The PGA is travelling to Sea Island in Georgia, but our tour by necessity (no Sea Island for JN6!!) is playing at the excellent fictional Kiawah Dunes. Geographically, we're close (SC vs GA) and we are also by the sea, but Sea Island has more water to threaten golfers than here. I think Kiawah Dunes, by our friend Goran Mentzer, (course completed 6/2000), is beautiful and requires precise shots to score well. Lies on the fairway will rarely be flat, and the greens don't often have easy putts. Scenery is charming, with handsome waste areas, a variety of trees, and some animals sneaking a peek at your progress. Many chances to take risks on a short par 4, alternate fairway approaches, etc., which is much appreciated. And, I LOVE that there are some short iron Par 3's which you can score on if you are very accurate. I wish more designs offered at least one short iron par 3...so many have you coming in with long irons, 3 woods and drivers. You will love this place and Goran has a history of excellent course design. Its funny, put this course up with some seaside cliffs and some very old stone walls, and you could almost convince me I’m playing Renaissance Club in Scotland (hint hint Goran…you could do a great Renaissance!)

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Medium, Pin 2, Soft
Round 2: Medium, Pin 3, Normal
Round 3: Medium, Pin 4, Normal
Round 4: Mild, Pin 5, Soft

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... _dunes.zip <-- url fixed
Tarheel's .round files: Image
View from Hole 6 tee area

Attachments
Kiawah_dunes-Hole6-fromtee.jpg
(191.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kiawah_dunes-splash.jpg
(21.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 16th, 2023, 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: PGA tour, play rounds with Tarheel (updated weekly, see tour schedule post 1)

Post by tarheel »

Happy Thanksgiving!

ONE ROUND EVENT
TURKEY APPETIZER

Brought to you by WorldSwing tours!

To start the day with PGA on holiday this weekend, I played a casual round of golf with the WST at New England CC. This is a JN5 course by Tim and Mike New with seasonal colors to get you in the mood for some turkey and cool temperatures. Course creation is appx Feb 1999. Its a mostly relaxing round of golf with a nice mix of difficult and very easy putts. Also, find expected mix of hole types such as long and short par 4s, reachable par 5s and hazards in play. The leaf colors might play tricks on your eyes off the tee or fairways from time to time, so be careful with hits so that you don't knick a branch you mistook for further away. Par is 72, 6987 yds. You will have a chance to score low if you keep it in the fairways.

Have a great holiday!

Conditions:
Medium
Pin 3
Normal

My round download: Image
Course download: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... and_cc.zip <-- url fixed

Aerial view of par 4, hole 5 from tee area
275 yds VERY short and drivable with water to the left

View towards green mid-fairway

Attachments
OIP.jpg
(28.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
New_England_CC-Hole5_fromthetee.jpg
(248.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
New_England_CC-splash.jpg
(21.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
New_England_CC-Hole5_midfairwayright.jpg
(251.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wsvisual.jpg
(8.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK ELEVEN
Hero World Challenge

We are back fresh from Thanksgiving break and a breather with the WorldSwing Tour and back to PGA play. This week we go to New Providence, Bahamas for some nice temps and breezes. Albany is not available for JN6, so we are booked to play at Paradise Island. This golf course comes to us from Charles Whiddon, who designed a ton of courses for the JN series, particularly in the early days of the franchise, and this course dates back to JNSE and updated through the series until this one for JN6. Originally the project was a group effort with Steve Holden, Pete Broad, Tom Duffy, Randy Muzny, and Whiddon. This one comes from 11/19/01.

Its a deceptively tricky course. My first thought from the tee was that it was going to be a low score. But the lies and putts fought against me every step of the way. However, it all felt very 'laid back' anyway. I think the openness of it lends to this. You never feel cramped. The winds will create tough approaches, because they tend to come at angles on you. BEWARE however that you often have tees that are not level which escaped the various updates to the venue. Unfortunately, this will take your driver unawares if you don't plan. This course, updated one more time by cleaning up the tees could go from a good course to a strong one.

Remember that I will be updating daily with a new round to play through the tournament weekend.

PGA goes on break after this weekend but we will continue with the QBE Shootout, The Match, and some WorldSwing Tour events around the world to maintain some momentum.

THE TOURNAMENT

Round 1: Medium, Pin 2, Normal
Round 2: Strong, Pin 1, Soft, 40% Fog
Round 3: Strong, Pin 4, Soft, 20% Fog
Round 4: Medium, Pin 3, Soft

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... island.zip <-- url fixed
Tarheel's .round files: Image
View of #14 from the tee area. Notice the boats, you will see a lot of these as you play; curious onlookers here to watch the pros I guess :) . Nice touch with the birds!

Attachments
Paradise-Island_hole14-fromteearea.jpg
(241.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Paradise-Island_splash.jpg
(17.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club Canada

Welcome to the Worldswing Tour week 2 (week 1 being Thanksgiving) as the PGA tour is on holiday until January. This is part of the Vacation Club, where we get to travel around the world and play one day events to see golf courses that would not otherwise get a chance to be showcased.

This week, we are adventuring in Eastern Canada, in Quebec, at Mistral Country Club, designed by Randy Bubar back in 4/25/98 for JN5 and converted to JN6. This is a par 72, 6642 yds from the black tees romp in a forested area with high hills surrounding. Its a golf course I have always enjoyed visiting, yet the last time was 4/7/2006 and from the score that day I'm willing to bet the winds were mild. The only fault I can find are some tees that aren't level, but they are only barely slanted. The scenery is fantastic and the hole variety very satisfying, with everything you could ask for and intellectual decisions to make. Its a shame Randy did not design more than a couple other courses in the catalog because he was amongst the elite from my view.

Weather is cold today, 31 degrees in this part of Canada for the round but winds are not howling thankfully and I think heart rate won't be too severely raised from stress with this round.

We will be flying a long way tonight to get to our next destination in New Zealand, so hit low and get to the airport :)

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Medium - Normal - Pin 4

No mulligans
BLACK tees

SPECIAL COMPETITIONS
Let's have a bit of fun, and my challenge to you is to have two special contests within our played rounds.

First, longest drive. On hole 10, you must drive the ball into the fairway, and see which of us has the longest drive, keeping it on the fairway! My file is attached in the .zip file, and you can see my distance if you replay the shot.

Second, closest to pin. On hole 17, you must drive the ball onto the green, keeping it on the green. Which of us lands closest to the pin? I have my .shot file attached in the .zip file for you, and you can see my distance from pin with it.

SEND ME AN EMAIL AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES!

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... istral.zip <-- url fixed
Tarheel's .round files:
Mistral-WsT-files.zip
(39.18 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
View from the tee on hole 5! A par 3, with carry over water to well protected green.

Hole 12, from behind the green. A 298 yds drivable par 4, but you don't want to overshoot

Hole 16 from green to approach. You can challenge the natural area to place your ball further up the fairway but risk nailing trees, or you can take the safe route and a long iron into the green.

Attachments
mistral_Splash.jpg
(27.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mistral_hole16-approach.jpg
(266.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mistral_hole5-tee.jpg
(218.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mistral_hole12-behindgreen.jpg
(240.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Tour:
Vacation Club New Zealand

From Canada to New Zealand overnight! Surely you flew Space-X to make that tee time! Today, while the PGA remains on break, the WST brings you to Milford Track, NZ to really get in touch with nature. This is a gorgeous course from Guy Nicholson and it was designed in December 2006. To my knowledge, he gave us 6 GBC designs, all top notch. This one 6673 yds par 70.

I swear I heard sheep mocking me many times and the buzz of insects mixed with the call of birds made this adventure well worth the price of admission. The textures are well done, and course design offered intellectual choices. For the power hitters, there are a few holes to wet your whistle. I was lured to go for it with mixed results. Guy suggests medium winds with firm greens, but the weather in NZ today is a bit wet with rain threatened for several days, so we ended up with half of the recommendations.

Tomorrow, we will be playing along with Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas while they play "The Match" so prepare for a long flight around the world back to the US.

THE TOURNAMENT

One Round Only: Medium - Soft - Pin 2

No mulligans
BLACK tees

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... _track.zip <-- url fixed

Tarheel's .round files:
There are many nice custom touches here, such as this wall near the green of 3.

View from behind the green on number 7, 428 yds par 4. Its uphill to the approach and then back down again.

Par 4 number 8 from the tee area. Nearly drivable hole, but dangerous to attempt

Attachments
milford_Track-hole7_behindgreen.jpg
(264.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
milford_Track-splash.jpg
(20.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
milford_Track-hole8_teearea.jpg
(249.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
milford_Track-hole3_wallatgreen.jpg
(228.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

I remember Guy Nicholson, he was one of the very best in my opinion. He did not attend the design forum we had then, and was a bit of a mystery. I tried to contact him for a co-design, but never got a reply. What was the name of his other courses, I would like to have a look at them for nostalgy reasons?