Golf sims

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Golf sims

Post by tarheel »

Funny. I play pga2k23 and online competition has people on leaderboards in league play at 38 to 42 under for two rounds of play. Also, you have to upgrade equipment to level up instead of relying on skill and obviously some of these upgrades let people play stupidly unrealistic golf. For all the great graphics I find myself quickly getting bored of the silliness. Its just not a level playing field. The game would be so much better if this endless customization didn’t exist. Also, courses require being online to access instead of having on a hard drive (large file sizes I’m sure)

Yes, in JN6 people could also hit in the 50s, but at least it wasn’t because of ‘upgrades’. It was just pure skill. Also, you could store and play courses offline. Graphics for a 23 year old game are pretty good.

So, I find myself still excited every time I load up JN6 to play and I find PGA amazingly doesn’t get me MORE excited even though it’s visually stunning and a better pure sim. As a GAME I’m still giving GBC the edge, if for nothing else its portability on my laptop. I never complained back in the day being bested by the 50s hitters because I knew they were just plain better.

BTW I play PGA on a Playstation
Westerner
Weekend Duffer

Re: Golf sims

Post by Westerner »

In the classic golf games everyone used the same clubs. Customization is just there to get more cash.
Useless IMO.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Golf sims

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah this pay to play better model was a major regression in PGA 2k23 and it's a bit of a stretch to even classify it as a sim anymore. It's no surprise though. As a mouse swing player it's been 1 step forward 2 steps backward with each release since TGC2 (I never had the first one). The biggest problem to begin with is it was designed with the console experience in mind first and the PC as an afterthought. I think that's why you see them keep all of the the courses on their servers; to make it easy for console users. The file sizes of courses before they are published are not that big so that's not it, and if they were big that would probably be a reason they wouldn't want to host them. You can't add any custom art to your courses which is what usually ends up adding all the file size in other games. The fact remains that you can do more with PC games than console games. I figured that out in 1995 but apparently a lot a people don't care about mods, gameplay depth, and replay value (or its just not profitable enough for big companies to give people what they actually want, and no indie developers are in the golf market now).