I’m from old golden bear den anyone still playing?

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: I’m from old golden bear den anyone still playing?

Post by tarheel »

sounds good. email is fine for exchange of files. It would be good to keep posting summaries/discussions here so maybe if others want to join in they can see whats going on
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Brad, I will try and post my .round file here at the forum, but if that doesn't work can you please send me your email address. Mine is bflanag@bigpond.net.au.

I've decided our course for Round 1 will be Acacia Hills by Shelby Sanborn, the genius who created one of the best courses ever made, The Ginn Farm, which we will get to some time later.

I will try and play my round today, but we are having friends around for a BBQ this arvo, so it may not happen. I rolled a dice to select the pin we would play and, of course, it came up 6! So I re-rolled it and we are playing Pin 3, Normal, Medium Winds.

I will start a new thread for our little competition.

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

how do you determine your random winds and green conditions when you play games? What die ranges do you use for those two?
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

La Costa = 63

I've forgotten all the shots and rolls.....

randy
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

I have used the three Quail Hollow rounds Brad sent me to determine his first handicap, using an official handicap calculator, as you need 3 rounds of data for it to work. When I have played my three rounds at Quail Hollow, I will work out my handicap for the next game.

Randy, did you get Brad's rounds? If not, I will send them to you to play against.

Based on Brad's three rounds he got a handicap of 11.4 rounded down to 11. I then modified the Stableford scoring by 1 point (ie a Par is now worth 1 point not 2, etc.). Based on that, in Brad's first round at Quail Hollow he scored 40 Stableford points, which is far more realistic than the 58 points he would have scored under the original points regime.

As far as the weather conditions, if we know where the course is located (real or fictional) I will try and use the actual weather conditions for that location. If not, I'll do some sort of random selection.

Hope that all makes sense.

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

How is the handicap calculation handled in your spreadsheet. Meaning, how does it get calculated? Academic question for my information :)
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Brad,

Here's a link to the calculator I used. You just fill in the blanks and hit calculate. It works perfectly when you have real course and slope ratings (which I did for Quail Hollow). When we are playing fictional courses we will have to "guestimate" these values.

https://www.calculator.net/golf-handica ... lator.html

Cheers

Brad
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Thanks! I’m having a blast. Rediscovering GBC is a great early birthday gift (will b 55 soon)

I wish I had tried designing courses earlier because I could’ve learned a lot in the interim. That’s the one part of the game I never delved into. Having a critical eye for other people’s designs I can honestly say it seems like a daunting activity.

I’m just settling now to try to be a decent golfer again
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

.shot and .round files can now be added as attachments on the forum.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Thanks Brian,

that's great news. we may be able to start some sort of competition again.

Cheers

Brad