Waypoints

Help with questions or problems.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Waypoints

Post by Jim Hall »

I've noticed occasionally, that when playing certain holes on some of my course designs, that the golfer ignores the waypoints set straight ahead in the fairway and will, instead, face the flag position. This results in having to rotate the golfer to look down the fairway. I find this somewhat annoying, but not sure if this is a fixable issue. :confused:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Waypoints

Post by SteveHorn »

Jim
Wish I knew why this happens to dogleg holes near that 90 degree level. I'll be seeing if anyone has an answer along with you. I think it might have to do with distance to hole compared to distance to way point but not sure about that.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Steve, yeah the holes it occurs on are sharp doglegs. I've played around with the waypoints and it doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Jim
What might work is moving your tee start area to the far left. Then the shot way point to the far right edge of the fairway and shot to green to far left edge of green.(if dogleg right. Opposite if dogleg left)
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah, I'm not aware of any way of fixing it other than changing the design of the hole, which I'd hate to see that be the reason for a change in the design of your hole. People will just figure out for themselves where to hit it. We don't have AI suggesting to us where to hit it on the real golf course (not yet anyway :laugh:).
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

To All!
I got to thinking about this and it occurred to me 1 of my course's Point Reyes National Hole #1 is a Par 5 dogleg left (at least 90 degree's) and it doesn't aim towards the green. So distance must be a factor. I'm guessing the green is still over 300 yards from tee and that's the max for this game. So it goes with the waypoint.
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Spot on Steve :up: Being the geeky scientist that I am, I decided to test that out with 90 degree dogleg holes. Results are in the table below. The green from tee column is distance from the tee to the pin as the crow flies (exactly what you were referencing). Once that yardage exceeded 300 yards the golfer always faced the fairway waypoint (orange). Any less than that, and the golfer faced the tee (yellow).

I played around a bit more and found that it is possible to have a shorter tee to green distance than 300 yds and still have the golfer face the fairway, but it was complicated and varied depending upon placement of your first fairway waypoint. Sometimes. I placed the waypoint way beyond the dogleg and managed to get the golfer facing the fairway with the tee to green distance as small as 250 yards. But that seems silly.

And yes, I currently have too much time on my hands :rolleyes:
Waypoints.jpg
(108.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
KSBC6499
Chronic Slicer

Post by KSBC6499 »

One way I found that sometimes gets around this issue is to make many points in a straight line away from the tee. Instead of just putting your 1st point 280 yrds out or whatever, put the first point 10 yards out, and another one 10 from that then another, etc, until you get to the 280 yrd point. Then maybe dont even add a line going to the green. as long as you make the 1st set of points long enough,it will read par 4 or 5.and you will face the green after 1st shot. This worked for a horseshoe hole I made once where the green was almost behind the tee lol. Give it a try.