Hopefully coming soon JN6

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Hopefully coming soon JN6

Post by BrianZ111 »

Sundance wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:05 am Brian, I'm assuming you sent PZ an email so I will notify him again and see what is going on. Whew!!!
Yes I did, thanks.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

BrianZ111 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 12:39 pm
Sundance wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:05 am Brian, I'm assuming you sent PZ an email so I will notify him again and see what is going on. Whew!!!
Yes I did, thanks.
Brian, sent PZ an email and here is the correspondence back and forth. I think he will contact you now but here is the info he will share.

Steve,

I just realized something. It’s the golf courses you want. Where is Randy? I think he kept a back-up of all the courses. The goldenbearsden.com only stored them as encrypted files. In other words, we have all the courses but they are encrypted in unrecognizable code words; you can’t tell which course is which with out installing the forum system somewhere so you can figure out which golf course is which. Does that make sense?

The goldenbearsden.com is about 30 gigs. I have it in one file. The gold courses are in there but not as nice little zip files with easy to figure out course name.

Did anybody try to contact Snuffy’s family to see if they could help regain the domain name?

PZ

Steve,
I was in contact with them throughout Dave's illness after the stroke. The daughters don't have a clue about Dave's web pages or the Den. They only know of them through Dave and myself talking with them so there is no help there. If you could send this message to Brian as well maybe he can help. He, like you is familiar with these web pages and how they work. As far as Randy goes I do think he has mentioned that he has these course's so you and Brian can figure out how to go from here.

Thanks,
Steve

Probably a little confusing as PZ's name is Steve as well but the first was his response to my email and then my response to him. Let me know what transpires with this info Brian. Thanks
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Thanks Steve. I'm not sure what to make of it. If the files are encrypted they won't be much use to us. If it's just that the file names are scrambled but the files themselves aren't then they might still be usable. Does anyone know what software was being used on the site? Was the forum and the rest of the site running the same software? It would probably be difficult to to stand up a version of the old site here. If the host is still hosting the site it would be easier to point a domain name at that. Can the host accept a different domain name for the site? Getting the old domain name back doesn't seem likely. You'd need to know his username and password with his registrar to renew it. If the family doesn't know it, the only solution I can think of is to have one of them contact the registrar's support and explain the situation.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

BrianZ111 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:01 pm Thanks Steve. I'm not sure what to make of it. If the files are encrypted they won't be much use to us. If it's just that the file names are scrambled but the files themselves aren't then they might still be usable. Does anyone know what software was being used on the site? Was the forum and the rest of the site running the same software? It would probably be difficult to to stand up a version of the old site here. If the host is still hosting the site it would be easier to point a domain name at that. Can the host accept a different domain name for the site? Getting the old domain name back doesn't seem likely. You'd need to know his username and password with his registrar to renew it. If the family doesn't know it, the only solution I can think of is to have one of them contact the registrar's support and explain the situation.
Brian, that's something you and PZ need to talk about. Hopefully you'll hear from him.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I'll let you know if I hear anything. Right now it seems like what Galen/Randy are doing may be easier than trying to recover anything form the original website though.
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

BrianZ111 wrote: March 31st, 2022, 10:56 am I'll let you know if I hear anything. Right now it seems like what Galen/Randy are doing may be easier than trying to recover anything form the original website though.
Randy has a fairly complete collection of courses that were in the GBD Downloads, except perhaps for those that were recently released. I know he would be more than happy to help and I can contact a few people who may provide the courses that he doesn't have. I've made him aware of this site and if he becomes a forum member then you can work out the details of transferring them.
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Brian, Viper,

I've sent you a link to my OneDrive. Let me know if all is good ? So far all the JN files I've located so far.

randy
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

Thanks for the new home guys!! Much appreciated!
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

gtejoe wrote: April 1st, 2022, 3:32 am Brian, Viper,

I've sent you a link to my OneDrive. Let me know if all is good ? So far all the JN files I've located so far.

randy
Randy, I noticed in the file name listing you sent me two to three files for the same course. For example take a look at this:
bay_hill_vs2_Armstrong.zip
bayhillvs2.zip

Both have identical file sizes.

Brian, would it be possible to use your file uploader to submit files that Randy may not have?
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

JReel wrote: April 1st, 2022, 7:17 am Thanks for the new home guys!! Much appreciated!
Welcome! I know I wasn't active a great deal at The Den but I dropped by and I know most of you guys at least by screen name. Quite a few members here now but still a few regulars I can think of that haven't found their way. Hopefully they turn up soon! :up: