Hopefully coming soon JN6

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Hopefully coming soon JN6

Post by BrianZ111 »

If we can manage to get the domain name renewed before it's too late we can either put the old site back up or redirect anyone who visits it to here. That should pretty much take care of any problem with losing members. So far I have not yet heard back on my e-mail from last week though so things are in limbo from my perspective but hopefully things are happening and I'm just not in the loop.

Yes, feel free to post any of our messages to the Facebook group. Or just post a link to this thread. You don't have to be a member to read the thread, just to post to it.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Viper wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 3:48 pm I would like to make a suggestion for the Facebook page.

I'd suggest pinning a post at the top of the page passing on information for what is happening with GBC and the community.
Being FB, posts can get messed up, some get randomly hidden from users or can be difficult to find or easy to miss. People may visit the page and not see the specific information regarding the community continuing on.
Viper, not sure how to pin a permanent post but feel free to add one if you can. If not explain to me how to do it and I certainly will. Also will send out notifications to all the designers who were involved in the last Group Design I ran about this site.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Sundance wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 10:31 am
Viper wrote: March 22nd, 2022, 3:48 pm I would like to make a suggestion for the Facebook page.

I'd suggest pinning a post at the top of the page passing on information for what is happening with GBC and the community.
Being FB, posts can get messed up, some get randomly hidden from users or can be difficult to find or easy to miss. People may visit the page and not see the specific information regarding the community continuing on.
Viper, not sure how to pin a permanent post but feel free to add one if you can. If not explain to me how to do it and I certainly will. Also will send out notifications to all the designers who were involved in the last Group Design I ran about this site.
Steve, I think you will have to pin the post as it's your page. I'm guessing a little here and assuming you are on a PC. If you click top right on the 3 dots of any post you've made, it should give a drop down with the option to "Pin Post."
This will leave that particular post at the top of the GBC page until you un-pin it and everyone will see it. As it is now, apart from my first visit to the GBC page, the only way I could again see GBC information regarding The Den was to click on your name and go to your personal page. Then I could see the GBC post otherwise it no longer showed up for me on the GBC page.
Any issues let me know.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

BrianZ111 wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 10:17 am If we can manage to get the domain name renewed before it's too late we can either put the old site back up or redirect anyone who visits it to here. That should pretty much take care of any problem with losing members.
This is ultimately something The Den's members should speak on if they wish but I strongly suggest The Den is left to the past and the move is made to here. If the domain is renewed then simply link people back to here.
No one is realistically going to take The Den over and continue maintenance into the future as required.
If the move was made to here when it was first suggested, the GBD members would've all been here by now, the GBD files would've all been saved, a bunch of important topics would've been saved etc. Let's not make the same mistake twice. I can certainly understand people not wanting to leave The Den, heck I visited there myself for many, many years but this site has a very stable future and The Den does not.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

If any GBC player has a copy of the guide below and could scan to a PDF would be great to include it with the GBC game download.

Checking through my files, GBC will have an extensive array of downloads. I have many things saved.

https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Nicklaus-Ch ... 1566868858
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Viper wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 3:31 pm
Sundance wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 10:31 am

Steve, I think you will have to pin the post as it's your page. I'm guessing a little here and assuming you are on a PC. If you click top right on the 3 dots of any post you've made, it should give a drop down with the option to "Pin Post."
This will leave that particular post at the top of the GBC page until you un-pin it and everyone will see it. As it is now, apart from my first visit to the GBC page, the only way I could again see GBC information regarding The Den was to click on your name and go to your personal page. Then I could see the GBC post otherwise it no longer showed up for me on the GBC page.
Any issues let me know.
Viper, unfortunately it is not my page. I never really talked to Snuffy about the Facebook page but assume he must have started it at some time. When I became aware of it I just kept it going with posts relating to the Den, Group Designs and golf clips I found interesting on the web. That being said I had checked for a pin command on my posts but there isn't one. I did send out an email to all designers that were involved in the last group design and asked them to pass the word around about this site. Have you or Brian contacted Galen in regards to transferring the files from the Den? I read on the general comments the last post where he asked if you guys could contact him.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah I sent Galen an e-mail a little over a week ago. This morning I heard back from him that he forwarded my my e-mail on to the person responsible for hosting the Den and asked me if I heard back from them. I have not. Galen also mentioned that Snuffy was the only one in control of the domain name so it looks like we won't be getting that unfortunately. As a result the plan is definitely to put the content on this site now, not try to resurrect the old site.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Brian, I'll shoot PZ an email and see what is going on. Will get back to you ASAP.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Sundance wrote: March 24th, 2022, 10:41 amViper, unfortunately it is not my page. I never really talked to Snuffy about the Facebook page but assume he must have started it at some time. When I became aware of it I just kept it going with posts relating to the Den, Group Designs and golf clips I found interesting on the web. That being said I had checked for a pin command on my posts but there isn't one.
Oh, ok. If it's Snuffy's page he would be the only one who can pin. Then the second issue becomes the page will only be active while Snuffy's personal account is active I would say. If someone closes his personal FB account the GBC page will also go.
There is not much else we can do to let the old members know GBC is still alive. As I mentioned, if people do know of emails to contact people, this is one way. Otherwise it may also be worth creating a new post every now and again on the FB page regarding information for the transition here as there is no way to pin posts.

We'll get things sorted on this site as soon as possible. This forum, Brian will change the title so it covers GBC and all other JN games. Other forums for other game series (Links, Tiger Woods) will also be created soon.

The plan is to get the site established to cater for all the old golf games and give somewhere for players of the games to come. Likely next year, I intend to promote these old games and hopefully bring some life back into them. Main thing now is to set up the site and forums so everything is ready for new people to come along so they can simply explore, download, play and hopefully get hooked on these games. There are many people out there enjoying old games. You just have to make people aware of the games and that they are available to play. Golf games that will be here will be from the era when PC golf was highly popular and the golf game choices were great. I'm sure people will enjoy them again.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Just want to mention, I'm having a play with GBC while I'm organizing the GBC files. Geez all these old golf games were/are great! :up: