Not as young as I was!

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Viper
Tour Contender

Not as young as I was!

Post by Viper »

It appears my hobbies, sports and work over the years have finally taken their toll on my back.
Had a scan done and I have arthritis and 2 slipped discs in my lower back.
Atm it means I can walk for around an hour. Anything beyond that I start getting pain. Walked for 3 hours on Jan 3rd. The next day I had spasms, shooting pain every time I left a chair and it took my back 8 days to recover.

Why post my issues here? Well...my sporting and real golf days are done. This will likely also be my last year of work due to my back. What it means, come next year, I will likely have tonnes of free time to really get stuck into PGA 2000 and all the other great old golf games. I hope we can bring this place alive so stick around!

As for my back, once I am doing nothing next year that causes my back issues with plenty of rest and some physio, hopefully I can get it to a point where I can at least walk around for long periods again.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Not as young as I was!

Post by SteveHorn »

Viper
So sorry about your back issue's. Having a bad back is, for many a life changing event. Hope you get better soon and can go for a long walk.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Hi Steve,
It's been bad for years. Never went to the doctor but the 3 hour walk on Jan 3rd knew I couldn't avoid it any longer.
My last real round of golf 4-5 years ago I pulled out of the game with 3 or 4 holes to play because I could no longer swing the club.
It affects everything, can't even go for a trip to the zoo for example. I'd need to take along a wheelchair.
Hoping to just be able to walk long periods eventually. Carrying anything is out and as photography is a big hobby, the days of carrying around even a single camera/lens are likely gone. I use to carry tonnes of weight for photography over all types of terrain. I basically did everything in life that is bad for a lower back! lol

Luckily, I love my gaming and it doesn't affect that. Looking forward to spending tonnes of time on it next year. Work atm takes up a lot of time and virtually eliminates any gaming time. Been wanting to really get stuck heavily into PGA 2000 for virtually years now and the opportunity looks like it will finally arrive. :up:
Jim Hall
Club Champion

Post by Jim Hall »

Really sorry to hear about your back issues! Hopefully you will get back to being able to at least take short walks without pain. On the bright side, looking forward to you getting back into the game!
ETphonehome
Chronic Slicer

Post by ETphonehome »

Viper - I'm so sorry to hear about your back and that ending your sporting and working days.

From a golf perspective, I'm glad you have a silver lining of being able to play computer golf and will continue to enjoy that as a leisure activity. :)
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

Thanks guys, I'm still luckier than many who have much worse issues to contend with. I'm also not living with pain if I don't go outside the restrictions of what my back allows so that's a very positive aspect.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Sorry to hear about your back Viper. It does limit the things you can do. I pray with rest and treatment you get to take those walks. I have also been doing photography for over 40 years. At least you can still play pc golf, not the same but it will do. Get well. None of us are as young as we used to be. I turn 62 in July. Where did the years go? DC#1
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

DC#1 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 8:16 am Sorry to hear about your back Viper. It does limit the things you can do. I pray with rest and treatment you get to take those walks. I have also been doing photography for over 40 years. At least you can still play pc golf, not the same but it will do. Get well. None of us are as young as we used to be. I turn 62 in July. Where did the years go? DC#1
Thanks, I'm 51 so too early to live with limitations. Photography has been a big part of my life for 34 years now. Problem is I have semi pro/pro gear so even a body and single lens is heavy. I'll keep at it but there will be limitations on how much and for how long I can carry anything. Great to read there is someone else with the same hobby DC#1!

BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Sorry to hear about your back troubles. Hope it will improve over time. Thanks for everything you do for this site, we're lucky to have you here. Exciting career opportunities have come for me but a downside is I have limited time for making improvements to this site now. I will always do enough to keep the lights on here but Viper is helping us grow.
Viper
Tour Contender

Post by Viper »

No probs Brian. There is still a great future for old golf games. Many people are retro gaming and call the PGA 2000's retro gaming. Spreading the word about the old golf games and making sure the games can easily be played is all that really needs to be done. I'm sure this will bring some new life to these games. As yourself, being busy with real life is the killer atm but once this changes, there will be plenty of time to play and bring some life into these games. Let's face it, modern golf games just aren't up to scratch.