Wuds selected for President's Cup team

Discuss real golf.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Wuds selected for President's Cup team

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Couples made it official today: Tigre Wuds is a captain's choice for the US team. All I can say is, GO EUROS!!

Looking at the game itself, this is incomprehensible. Wuds has played lousy (the few times he's played) since April. There are probably 10-15 US players than have played well this season that deserve the spot, especially those Americans competing in the FedEx over the next month.

It also sends the message that Wuds can still do whatever he wants and that he's bigger than the game. The main reason he was picked is for because the tour, sponsors, and networks want the ratings; it's certainly not because they want the USA team to win by picking the best players.

Freddy's choice disgusts me. He's complained about back pain for years, but after his win in the Senior's Open last week, he said "it's not my back, it's my hips." Well maybe if he got off his knees they wouldn't hurt him so bad.

The only thing I can say is either boycott the event and its sponsors or cheer for the Euros. I'm planning on doing both.
:mad:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Wuds selected for President's Cup team

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! I understand your loathing of the Woods pick. I agree that the woods pick is for the (TV RATINGS) and that there's numerous others that deserve the spot. I could see the Woods pick coming a mile away and knew it was going to happen for many weeks now so I guess I'm not as pissed off as you are. I will be watching because its still a great event with 23 other top golfers from all over the globe participating (NO EUROS Judy). Also I want to check out Royal Melbourne. Your one "Annoyed Ninjas"
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Yah, I got corrected on that Euros gaff. Which is, other than my ignorance, beside the point since it just means I'm cheering for the OTHER team... Asians, Euros, Australians, Africans... whatever.

Last year they picked Mickelson for the Ryder team when he was suffering so much from arthritis that, as he himself said, he couldn't bring the club halfway back without pain. Of course the EUROS won. As Phil said, "the Ryders Cup isn't just about winning;" I'll hand it to the guy, he speaks the truth. ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Woods and Stricker lost their first round match 7&6 in the President's Cup, the worst loss by any twosome in Cup history; Team USA has a 1 point lead after day 1.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I don't think anybody is going to be a good partner with Tieger whoops I mean Tiger. Not a single birdie for the Woods - Stricker pairing on day 1. I'll bet Couples keeps puting him out their every chance he gets every day.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Like choosing him for the team, I doubt Couples has a choice. Ratings tend to soar when Tigre's on the course, and $$$$$ are more important than winning.