A nice story of commitment and heart

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tincup
Legend of Golf

A nice story of commitment and heart

Post by tincup »

I thought it would be worth posting something that demonstrates the commitment, heart and sense of community of a couple of our senior members.

Last night, I got a phone call from Robert Wagers who as you know, is "waging war" against cancer (pun intended). This was a bit unusual, but given the fact that he is fast approaching the date when he has the relatively risky bone marrow transplant procedure, I think he just needed to hear the voice of someone outside his family, other than a doctor or an onocologist.

During the conversation, he mentioned that he had been working on a new course for some time now. However, through a rash of computer crashes and data reloads, he had lost track of it. He finally found it. The course is probably around 40-50% complete. He said he really wanted to finish it, but under the current circumstances, he does not have the energy or stamina to sit at a computer for hours. He said that he really did not want the course to go to waste and asked if I thought someone might pick it up and complete it. The guy that immediately came to mind was Terry Grayson.

When asked, Terry responded with an enthusiastic yes. He is a little nervous about completing a course initially designed by "The Master", but he said he would give it his best shot. In fact, he is giving it priority by temporarily shelfing his current new course design.

I think this is very big of Terry to do this. Personally, I think Terry and Robert are at a similar level when it comes to course design... both are master craftsmen and the final course will have a dual-master flavor to it.

I salute Robert for caring enough about our community to see that this course gets built. I also salute Terry for throwing his considerable expertise behind the project. It is a nice tribute to Robert and to PGA2000 as well. :cheers:

Dar
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Re: A nice story of commitment and heart

Post by Terry Grayson »

I consider this an absolute honor , that I was asked to help complete this course. I thank Robert and Dar for thinking of me, and will do everything possible to make it a Wagers worthy course. Yes I was absoltely nervous because folks, we are talking about one of if not the best PGA2000 designer in my book, but I am excited about it. Work has already begun...

When I got the files, there was an architect file and a crs file.. I believe the first 5 holes for the most part were complete...I could not get the architect file to open...Kept crashing to desktop. I reinstalled every library the LIT tool and Cloaker told me was used in the course. Finally it opened but if I right clicked on any texture It was a blank space and boom crash again.. I fought this booger for about 2 hours and finally changed every texture to a singular library, saved it as a different names architect file...It opened fine but still on right clicks it would not give me the textures (And I deleted swap files several times) I never saw this like this...The weird part is I went and deleted the original architect file and everything opened, could right click, and all is well..

I started taking a look around, and man, wow, can you say this course is going to push the architect to its limits... (I was going to see what the ole girl has with this other course I began working on with rocks , cliffs and such, and I see Mr Bob, is definately going above that) Huge elevation changes enormous rock faces, and boy I cant wait to see how it turns out..

I started working on hole number one, bringing in the tee shot a little closer so I can see the rock faces and the entire first hole in all its glory... I raised the tee box even more so I could get "More of a view" other than a few planting objects here and there it is pretty much complete...I then went to 2...Wow ...I totally see the intent and will try and capture it ...

We are going to push this architect to its limits with this one... We are going to see what she can take, and hopefully when complete I will have completed what Robert wanted to set out and do, and hopefully it will be a worthy course up to his standards...Heck I cant wait to get home to get started again!!!!

Thanks again Robert for allowing me to finish this course...I just hope I do it justice....
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

Terry, you have understood my intent with this course exactly! I wanted to "push-push-push" the architect to it's limits and see "how-high" the engine could rev!

I'm glad that you "picked-up" on that.... This validates my choice of you being the "BEST candidate" to finish the course!

I am so pleased that you were able to repair the crashing issue. I don't really remember, but that may have been the reason I quit working on the project originally.

I place this course totally in your hands and give you Total Creative License! She's YOUR baby now! ;)

I know you'll do a great job!
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Feel free to post some screen-shots along-the-way!
Other than a few select holes, I've kinda forgotten what the course was looking-like.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Terry! I'm confident that you can complete Wagers course close to what he invisioned. You did a great job on "The Tribute Course at Heavens Stairway" and I'm sure this as many other of your designs will also be great.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Thanks gentlemen, I will give it my all and see what this old architect will handle... :)
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

oh and by-the-way... Feel free to rename it to anything you want. Stoney-Ridge is just a "descriptive-name" that I gave to the project. I've been told that it has already been used anyway!
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Robert D. Wagers wrote:oh and by-the-way... Feel free to rename it to anything you want. Stoney-Ridge is just a "descriptive-name" that I gave to the project. I've been told that it has already been used anyway!
I do that alot! I give descriptive names to the architect files while working on them.... for example: Atchafalaya basin was called "Gator Bayou" until it was close to being done. etc etc.