A quick update

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

A quick update

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

I wanted to give my friends here an update on my treatment. I finally got a date from the Transplant Team in Nashville. August 7th I will be traveling to Nashville to begin a week-long evaluation process. This eval is to check the state of my disease and determine the chances of success and survival. If I pass.... and I WILL pass, my Sister will then begin her donation-portion of the transplant. Once they have collected the proper number of cells, I will then begin my portion. Just like before, this transplant is designed to, pretty much, take you to the "edge-of-death" and then "rescue" you with new stem cells.

My Sister has never had any chemo and is in good health. This is what Doctors refer to as "Curative treatment." I am hopeful that it will be a BIG success.

I will be "out-of-touch" for the entire time because I am not taking my laptop this time. It's getting too old and wouldn't survive the trip. If my Mother brings her computer, I will at least check my emails.

I hope my friends here will remember me in their thoughts and prayers. This will be a hard and very scary ordeal for me to endure, but it is something I must do!

Thanks in-advance for the prayers.

Your friend,
Robert D. Wagers
Last edited by Robert D. Wagers on June 4th, 2011, 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Re: A quick update

Post by tincup »

Robert,
Glad you posted. I have been wondering what was going on with your treatment schedule. You must have gotten delayed a few times.

I really don't know too much about this procedure, other than what you have told us. But, it sounds like one scarey thing to go through. It sounds like with your sister as the donor, you have the odds stacked in your favor. I sure hope so.

I don't need to put you in my thoughts and prayers... you have been there all along and will remain there. The very best of luck in all this. If anyone can do it, you can.

Hurry back... we have courses to design, drives to slice, putts to miss...

Dar
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Continued prayers, Wage.
Hang in there.
:up:
Stan
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

HANG IN THEIR WAGERS. I've been wondering what was going on. GOOD LUCK
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Here's a video explaining the process of the Transplant I will have:
http://www.cancercenter.com/video/treat ... allogeneic
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Robert, I know this has been a LONG, long ordeal for you, and I'm hoping and praying for you that this procedure will be the one that finally and completely works. There's hardly a week goes by that we don't talk about you, and wonder about how you're doing. I'm glad you posted, and wish you the very best.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Thank you Indy Anna, those comments meant the world to me to read! It is SO easy when you are sick, as I am, to think that the world just goes-on without you.... never missing a beat. My world has shrunk so much because of my illness, that I am actually closer to my Doctor and Nurses than I am to some of my Family (because I see and interact with them more).

I have read too much about my condition, and future treatments, not to be scared. I am REALLY NERVOUS about this transplant. I have been going through some "stabilizing-treatments" to cut-down on the number of transfusions I need and I am actually feeling pretty good overall. I have to start another week-long chemo cycle June 13th and I hope it will be my last one until I leave for Nashville.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for reading!

Robert D. Wagers
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

The week-long chemo cycle was cancelled today due to my blood-counts are "WAY OFF." My Doctor said that she needs for me to be as healthy as possible for the trip to Nashville. When I get there, I have to go through a week-long evaluation to see if I am capable of surviving the transplant. If I show up weak and in bad condition, they may elect for me NOT to have the transplant. So, no more chemo for me until I leave for Nashville.

54 days and counting.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

My heart hurts for how long this process has been for you Robert. We've known each other a long time now, and even though its across the wide world of internet, I consider you a
very good friend. I can not imagine how tough it has been for you over these last few years, but you sir, have remained strong, and have fought a courageous battle, that I know you can and will beat this finally here soon. Just know you are always in our thoughts and prayers ....

Folks what we see here is a true warrior in every sense of the word... A warrior I am proud to call a friend, and one that I am behind and pray for nightly...