Weather & Tornados

Any off topic discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Weather & Tornados

Post by bryce »

The death toll in the southeast is about 270 as of now. Alabama got the worst of it from what the reports are saying. I have some family in Hoover AL, which is about 5 miles south of Birmingham.

Here in NC, we had an overnight tornado warning for basically the entire western part of the state. I know one touched down fairly close to Terry around 3:00 this morning, but he posted on Facebook a short time ago, so I guess and hope he is OK. Skytrain (Brain Johnson) also lives close to where these terrible storms came through NC last night - this morning.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

After Aprils devistating tornados Mother Nature continues to be in a bad mood. First with massive flooding along the Mississippi river and now late yesterday with the F-5 tornado that tore a massive swath thru Joplin Missouri. The death toll in Joplin stands at 89 as I type this but I fear it will climb above 100 before long.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Maybe this is beside the point, but has anyone noticed an almost absence of bugs in their area? Other than a few mosquitos, I've hardly seen any insect activity. I found a dead squirrel in the back yard a couple of days ago; it looked like it'd been there for 2-3 days but there were no maggots and only a few other bugs crawling on it. Last year flies were thick by this date. I'm wondering if the very cold winter and the sheet of ice we had on the ground for a couple of weeks back in February in responsible? This is the first really severe winter we've had here in Central Indiana in several years.

But it's the complete absence of honeybees that bothers me... :confused:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! I think you got it right with the bad winter. The honey bee problem has been going on for several years now. I hope they get the population up soon or were all going to pay the price if the bee population continues to dwindle due to disease.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

SteveHorn wrote:After Aprils devistating tornados Mother Nature continues to be in a bad mood. First with massive flooding along the Mississippi river and now late yesterday with the F-5 tornado that tore a massive swath thru Joplin Missouri. The death toll in Joplin stands at 89 as I type this but I fear it will climb above 100 before long.
You was right Steve. The last count I heard this morning is 116... and they are still sifting through the rubble. Absolutely unbelievable... it is almost like they had no warning prior to that beast hitting.

Now, the weather service is saying that there is a "high risk" of more tornados in the joplin area today.

Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Unfortunatly we could be in for another tornado outbreak starting today and maybe the next 2 days after. A HIGH RISK warning forcast goes into effect today for most of OK. parts of KS and TX. and maybe the Joplin MO. area.