Course Crashes During Loading in Game

Help with questions or problems.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Course Crashes During Loading in Game

Post by Mike New »

Hey all,

Hoping someone here has some suggestions for me. I started a design on an XP system a few years back. Two years ago I upgraded to Vista and copied the courses and libraries across. Every other course and library works fine (although I have to rebuild the libraries, which in the grand scheme, I don't see as a big deal), except one.

The course loads in the architect fine, but crashes before fully loading in the game. All associated libraries are stock, verified within the architect, except the one that was created specifically for the course. I've deleted swap files, re-installed the game, etc...

I have not rebuilt that library yet, so it's still the same library-compile as worked in XP.

Any ideas or suggestions?
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Course Crashes During Loading in Game

Post by SteveHorn »

Mike New! A few things you might try. If it loads in the architect, see if it will compile.. Have you installed all patches? You should check in the course manager under properties all libraries to see if they are properly installed. Highlight a library then click the properties button. At the bottom it will give you the size of the highlighted library. If it is 0 you need to reinstall that library. If you still have problems after all of that I would reinstall all the libraries. Good luck. hope this helps.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

It sounds like you could possibly have a technical problem with the course itself. Have you redownloaded and installed the library you're having problems with? If so, then try this.
First save your arch course with a new name.
If you haven't already done so, optimize the main texture of your course at the 1 or 2 latch setting (around 40%.)
Next use the course repair tool, then use the Point Count Indicator to search for areas of high density (green/bunker/water complexes are huge on these.) Do a light optimization on these areas. Lift the green/fringe and do a light opt on the fairway or whatever other main texture you might be using to surround the green/fringe.
Finally save, reopen and compile.

Sometimes these areas of extreme high density are just too much for the compiler to handle. Then again this might not be your problem at all, but after reinstalling a new libe this would be the first place I'd look. The next would be the possibility of a corrupted object or texture within that library. I had that happen with the Ballybunion libe that I tried to use with my current course.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

Steve,

I'm on the laptop at the moment and don't have access to it, but it does compile the course just fine. It did have two warnings, but they were for a misplaced pin and driving range starting point. I don't believe I've installed the patch. That's my next step.

When I check the properties in the course manager, all libraries show 0kb. Every other course works, opens, plays and compiles just fine.

Indy Anna Jones,

I only have the stock libraries and my own personal ones on at the moment, but the course properties do not ask for any custom libraries created by others. I'm very careful about that. :) I've saved as different name and optimized the areas as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I can get on the desktop I'll try the patch and rebuilding the custom library. The course is in a serious state of disrepair, but I really like some of the work done to it, even if the rest is pretty trashy.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

Alright folks, got it! I'd deleted one of the texture files. As I rebuilt the library, adding each texture one by one, I realised one stonewall texture had disappeared.

Here's a quick screenshot. Just don't expect too much. I like the colour of the textures, but they don't tile very well. It's a bit messy, but I'm happy I can play around with it again.
Penrhyn17.jpg
The par-5 17th with ruins beside.
(143.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Mike New! I really like that ancient looking stone ruin. The rest I don't know yet. When you have some more work done post some more pics in a new forum - catagory. Good to see you found the problem. I don't try to create libraries. There are so many with duplicate items I think it causes the architect to get confused. I do end up using alot of libraries in my courses because of this