MEM_BAD_POINTER - error

Help with questions or problems.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

MEM_BAD_POINTER - error

Post by stillgolfing »

I was looking through utilities and saw there was a patch for PGA2000 (3.3.4.5). Stupidly, I assumed I should install it, but afterwards I could not open PGA2000. When attempting same, I received the noted error window (Under - Smartheap Library).
Google search indicates Smartheap is a third party program that many software vendors use, unfortunately most of the issues discussed in the Google links related to business software installed on LANs. So, it appears, my short sojourne with PGA2000 is currently over. Any help in resolving this issue would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
tincup
Legend of Golf

Re: MEM_BAD_POINTER - error

Post by tincup »

Dave,

I have not heard of this problem with PGA2000 before. All I can suggest is that we analyze what method you used to install the game:
-What version of Windows are you running?
-What flavor of PGA2000 are you installing (standard, CE or TI?)
-What media did you use to install PGA2000? (2 CD set or other?)
-When installing, did you select "full" install?
-Would the game launch before you installed the patch?
-Did the patch install go to normal completion.

Installing the 3.3.4.5 patch is necessary, especially if you ever get to the point of playing online. That patch fixes some other minor things too.

It is possible that something did not fully install (or didn't install properly) and the solution might be to just reinstall the game and the patch.

Dar
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Dar;
I installed the game 4 years ago on my current (then new) PC, but rarely played it since then, as I got hooked on Links2003.
I'm pretty sure it was a full install, back then.
Game was working fine yesterday, played a couple of the old standard courses and then when I found out how to download courses, played a couple to ensure they played OK. Later, while browsing the utilities section I saw the patch and installed it, and after that could not start game and got error message.
Patch installed to completion.
PGA2000 version is 3 disc (1 install and 2 course discs) Titanium edition
Currently running XP SP3 on an AMD dual core 4200+

Since you were previously unaware of this issue, I am assuming my options are:
a) Try to reinstall patch?
b) Remove and reinstall program
c) Restore Windows settings to pre patch.

I'm thinking b) would be the obvious way to go but not sure.
c) is probably not an option as on previous tries on this PC the disc drive churns along merrily for about 3 hours and the gives me a "Windows could not restore settings" message.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers, Dave
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Dave,

I think you are on the right track. A system restore probably wouldn't fix the problem unless it was a registry issue. It doesn't sound like that is the issue here.

Try reinstalling the patch first. I am not optimistic that this will solve it unless the first install failed for some reason.

As a last resort, reinstall the game and the patch. Just use your add-remove programs function in the control panel. Then go to your C drive and delete the Sierra folder before you reinstall (it will be rebuilt). That will eliminate the possibility of some damaged swap file causing a problem.

Just move any non-stock courses and libraries out of your Sierra folder to a temp folder on say your desktop before you reinstall. You can reinstall the courses/libs from that temp file when you complete reinstallation of the game. "Stock" courses will be reinstalled from the CDs, so don't worry about those.

Dar
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Dar;
Thanks for your help and advice. I was not able to get the game running with the patch after several reinstalls. On spec I thought I would download the online patched version, and it worked OK. Spent the day setting game up and teaching it to recognize files as covered here in another thread. All is OK and the designer courses (3) I downloaded and played yesterday worked great. However, I would like to have all 20 courses from my original titanium edition installed also, but when I tried to read the discs I had no luck. Passed there expiry date, I guess? :)
Anyway, if anyone knows the additional 8 courses for the Titanium edition (or all 20, and I can figure out the difference from the basic 12). I would appreciate this list, as I would feel more comfortable knowing I'm working from something that emulates my original installation.
Cheers, Dave
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Dave,
There are 33 courses that are either standard stock (13), Titanium (7) or Collectors Edition (13)

Here is a list of each category:

Stock
1 Black Diamond Ranch
2 Cabo Del Diablo
3 Canaveral Dunes
4 Coeur d'Alene Resort GC
5 Gloucester Golf and Hunt Club
6 Jocassee Shoals
7 Monterey Shores CC
8 Pasatiempo
9 Pete Dye GC
10 Princeville Resort
11 Sahalee
12 The Royal Birkdale GC
13 Whisperwood GC

Titanium (TI)
1 Beartooth Pass
2 Cutter Bay
3 Eman Hills CC
4 Rugged Cross
5 Sammamish Hills GC
6 Saxe Gotha GC
7 Tulaichean Bay

Collectors Edition (CE)
1 Barren Hills GC
2 Ceilidh Cove
3 Ceilidh Cove at Dusk
4 Darnoch High Course
5 Emerald City GL
6 Ingalls Creek Country Club
7 Inland Heath Golf Links
8 Lochiel Golf Links
9 Normandy Heights CC
10 North American Woods
11 Po'okela Resort and Country Club
12 The Sammamish Plateau
13 Whisperwind

All these courses are available for download on the Courses page.

Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

The Collectors edition came with all 33 courses listed. Thats why I sometimes get confused as to which are regular stock courses. :/
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Dar;
Thanks for the list. I'll probably bring my course library up to 'CE" standard over the weekend and then go back to rhandomly selecting from the "A" list later.
Cheers, Dave