No Sound on Computer

Help with questions or problems.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

No Sound on Computer

Post by SteveHorn »

Well its happened again. My son got on the computer over the weekend and got no sound. This has happened before and I usually got it fixed pretty quick. Not this time though. I've tried everything. I think I may need a new sound card but this computer is 10 years old and I may just talk the wife into us going and buying a new one.

In the process of trying to fix the problem the last 2 days I followed some instructions on the internet (with no luck). The last thing I tried ( I still have 1 or 2 things left to try) was going into the BIOS and resetting the defaults. This turned out to be a mistake. Once I reset the BIOS to default I could no longer get into windows. I tried everything to get back into the computer but had no luck. I had no choice but to run my quick recovery cd's. These are the only cd's that I have besides some different programs or hardware to install. Unfortunatly these cd's delete everything on your hard drive but I had no choice. Had I been smarter I should have already done a new copy of my documents on cd but I had'nt done that in awhile (DUMB ). I lost a few files that I wish I still had but its not the end of the world. Unfortunatly I still have no sound so after I mess with the sound card and install service pack 3 for support hopefully I'll get everything reinsalled and up in running soon. If anyone has any advise I'll take it but odds are I've already tried it.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Re: No Sound on Computer

Post by Stan Nehilla »

I'm sure you already did, but go into the Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices and make sure nothing is muted.
Stan
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

I am assuming you are running Win XP
goto Start - Run - type in services.msc
scroll-down until you see Windows Audio - double click and this will open a control dialog.
in the startup type change to Automatic
next click Apply
lastly click the Start button. Your sound should be working now and it should start automatically now!
Exit out by clicking OK

I hope this helps!

Robert D. Wagers
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Stan, Wages! Thanks for the advice. However I've tried both of these steps with no luck.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Steve, I don't think you play online, but if you do or ever want to remember that Vista and XP don't support Kali.
Good luck on whatever you choose to do. We had to get a new sound card for ours a year ago and it works great on our 5 year old Dell.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

SteveHorn wrote:Well its happened again. My son got on the computer over the weekend and got no sound. This has happened before and I usually got it fixed pretty quick. Not this time though. I've tried everything. I think I may need a new sound card but this computer is 10 years old and I may just talk the wife into us going and buying a new one.

In the process of trying to fix the problem the last 2 days I followed some instructions on the internet (with no luck). The last thing I tried ( I still have 1 or 2 things left to try) was going into the BIOS and resetting the defaults. This turned out to be a mistake. Once I reset the BIOS to default I could no longer get into windows. I tried everything to get back into the computer but had no luck. I had no choice but to run my quick recovery cd's. These are the only cd's that I have besides some different programs or hardware to install. Unfortunatly these cd's delete everything on your hard drive but I had no choice. Had I been smarter I should have already done a new copy of my documents on cd but I had'nt done that in awhile (DUMB ). I lost a few files that I wish I still had but its not the end of the world. Unfortunatly I still have no sound so after I mess with the sound card and install service pack 3 for support hopefully I'll get everything reinsalled and up in running soon. If anyone has any advise I'll take it but odds are I've already tried it.
Steve,
Have you tried a system restore? Say ... to a week or two ago.

What you are experiencing might be a virus and a restore could wash it out. Worth a try.
Dar
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

For what it's worth for anyone else considering messing with BIOS settings - DON'T!!!
Unless you are an absolute PC whizzkid who knows everything!
But if you do change something in the BIOS (which I did recently) and then you can't get back into your PC, the simple solution is to remove the battery from your motherboard for about 1 hour, then replace it and start up.
This battery is what supplys the power for your PC memory when the main power is off. When you remove this, the PC forgets any changes to the BIOS after about 1 hour, and will revert to the original BIOS settings.
I wish I knew then what I know now!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Dar, David and Indy . Unfortunatly I had turned off the system restore a few days before this happened. I hadn't turned it back on yet and I forgot turning it off deleats all the other restore points.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Steve,
This is really basic but I kicked the speaker wire once and the plug was out far enough to cause a sound problem. Check all plugs and wires.
Stan
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Stan ! Thanks but I've checked all connections already.