Mountaineer V2 by Spencer Turner [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Mountaineer V2 by Spencer Turner [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Mountaineer V2 (18.5 MB)
Type: Fictional, Mountain
Designer: Spencer Turner
Date: 3/17/2012
Libraries Used: baltursol, fabsflorida, generic_hole_signs, glenmarnock, highplains, inlandheath, metropolitan, mhotextures, oldhead, pinery, Water_Blends
gova
Chronic Slicer

Re: Mountaineer V2 by Spencer Turner [New Course]

Post by gova »

Hi Spencer,

Thanks for a very well designed and nice looking course.

As what happens occasionally but too often with the game play, complete frustration with greens where putts veer off then suddenly go in a straight line after four attempts and hitting out of rough that goes nowhere.

After scoring 88, only seeing the handicap of +18 lessened the blow to my ego.

Cheers
Brian
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Thank you for your review Brian. Sorry you had a tought time with the greens and the rough. Next time you might want to set the green conditions on Normal and t he rough conditions on average. The greens are fairly fast when set on dry. Thanks again, Spencer.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

What I liked: nice textures and planting - good solid layout - definately an upgrade and a nice one at that.

Wondering about the sounds - seemed I got the same bird repeated throughout the round.

A very nice, solid design worth a download.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Sorry about the sounds SW. My fault. Glad you hand a good overall opinion . Thanks for your review. Spencer.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Well my ol' pal had built us another course... I finally was able to download it and give it a few runs... Been out of town with work in Mobile Alabama (nice area by the way)

Anyway after a long week away I needed some relaxation and found it with this nice little gem of a golf course.. I have said it before about a Spencer course, and Ill say it again, he is a master of doing more with less. You dont have to cram a zillion points and a forest that would make Robin Hood jealous to make a very good golf course and Spencer proves this time and time again...

When I first opened it, I immediately loved the texture set chosen... I loved the shades and darks and everything just matched so well together... I wasn't crazy at first about the pano, but it grew on me as the round progessed... I immediately eagled the first, so I am off to a good round I thought... Really loved the par threes here...

Nicely rolling terrain, not overly done, great planting work! I love when you can tell a designer actually took time to plant a course... I stood and looked around , especially at the greensites, and it looks as though every plant, every object was placed individually...That takes a lot of patience, but it sure does make a difference in the end product for the player... Absolute spectacular work there Spencer..

The bunkers are properly constructed, nice noticeable lip on them, good variety... The greensites are well thought out (drawing of them) and not too aggressive and i only found one spike I hit on like hole 8...Heck brother, no matter how much smoothing we try, I always find one or ten on my courses after the fact (this in no way took away any enjoyment of the round also)...

Everything just matched so well together... I felt the tension and stress of a hard week just melt away as I thought of myself being in the Appalachian Mountains, playing a round of golf, noticing all the great old buildings, the wonderfully placed fencing and enjoying every birdy and eagle...(yeah I had a lot cause I play pretty good HA HA)....It put me in the mind of the great mountain ranges between where I live (Lawndale NC) and the West Virginia Mountains...There is a course called Cleghorn in Rutherford COunty NC that this reminded me for some reason (But this one is much better..LOL)

Spencer, I really enjoyed this course... You do a great job of making it realistic and I appreciate your contribution very much to this great golfing community!!!!..

Now lets go ahead and start another one.... Please :)
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

My sincere thanks Terry for taking the time to review my new course. It is rewarding indeed to have someone like yourself who takes the time to "look around" and comment on ALL the things a designer does to try to make it all come together and look real. When I design a course I am always aware that at some point you are going to have a look at my work and it makes me concentrate a little harder. The pano was not my first choice but it is one I have not used before so I gave it a shot. I screwed up the sounds and apologise for that. Your reviews are always incitfull and honest and that is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you, Spencer.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Nice course. Has a very "early design" feel to it. As one who is always, always struggling to find dramatic holes in flatter areas, I think you did an amazing job keeping every hole interesting, especially when it might be flatter. Terrific variety, especially on the par 3's and 5's. Well done.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Thank you so much ADC. I do try to make each hole interesting and unlike the ones before or after it. This gets tougher to do after about 11 or 12 holes, lol. I enjoy designing par 3"s more than anything else. I think they allow a designer to be more creative and sometimes add that wow factor which I hope others will enjoy.

So glad you enjoyed the course and again thank y ou. Spencer.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

A very nice course... technically solid in all categories.

We had a spirited ryder game on the front 9 tonight... very dry, breezy conditions. The course played fine, but the "springiness" of the greens took some getting used to. I don't know if it was because of the very dry conditions, but most approach shots bounced off the backside of the green. Despite a couple bogeys, we did manage -4 on the front... so it wasn't all that bad.

Nice course Spence... Keep em coming buddy. :up:

Dar