New Contest Idea

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Re: New Contest Idea

Post by LinksLegend »

Hey Adam, just out of interest, what was the thinking behind your idea of having a nine hole-r with no par 5's? I'm curious :)

I also think it might be nice to come up with a contest/collaboration where we can discuss hole design too, like we did with the old 9 Mile Bay and CC Park The Designers Challenge with holes discussed and voted on etc. if anyone is up for that or a variation on the theme...
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I originally thought of making it strictly a par 3 course, but thought it would be better to have a little more variety. I also didn't want it to end up being a regular 9-holer either, so no par 5's would make it feel more like an "executive" course.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I always enjoyed the hole by hole contests for the discussion on design too. I don't know that we have enough people to do that anymore though. We didn't before which is why we ended up doing the collaborations instead. The discussion seemed to come mostly from the voting process and without that it didn't happen. I really tried to force it the first time by making people write descriptions of their holes but there still wasn't much interaction. For the second collaboration I gave up on the idea. We did get some nice discussion from this latest contest though. Unfortunately I think hole by hole is more my speed when it comes to doing fictional course though. There was just no way I'd finish an 18 hole course on time, even if I hadn't taken on the project of building this website.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Yeah they were fun. There was always a pretty good turn out with DanO, Stefan, 3PuttWilly, Chuck G and a whole host of people that I assume have moved on. Wonder where they all are now? :) We actually got to discuss the hole design and strategy, it wasn't just about making another straightforward hole - they delivered some great designs too. CC Park and 9 Mile Bay were tough but very playable. Although the eclectic look and styles weren't to everybody's taste - you can't please everyone all the time, but I enjoyed playing them, and the process we went through even more. Have a baby coming any day now, due date was today, so am unlikely to have time to do another 18 holes any time soon but might find time for the odd hole on a contest - would be great if we could get enough interest...
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Congrats on the addition to your family Duncan!
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Thanks Doron, John Stewart McMonagle was born at 7:55pm today and weighed in at a chunky 8lb13, nearly a pound heavier than his older brother when he was born. Mum and baby well. Dad very proud :D
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Hey Duncan,

Just wanted to say congrats on the new addition to the family :)
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Congrats! :party:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Duncan! Congrats, thats a pretty big boy.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

WTG Duncan
You have a right to be proud. :cheers: :cheers:
Stan