Crossing the line?

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Crossing the line?

Post by bryce »

I'm at a dilema right now. I'm in the process of designing 2 courses, one fictional and one real. I only have about 11 holes laid out and somewhat finished, but I see a great opportunity in my plot to do something I've done before........and was criticised for. I'm thinking of making another driveable par 5. It won't be as easy as the one I did on Twisted Realm, but I can see a beautiful hole ready to be made!

I love options when playing golf, whether it be in this game or on a real golf course. I like to make fun courses and I think this would add to the fun factor, even though it makes it almost unrealistic. I just want some of your views on what is going too far to make a course not enjoyable.

thanks
Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Crossing the line?

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! I've never heard of a drivable par 5 before. How can it be rated a par 5 if a hole in 1 is possible ? It does'nt matter to me how you design a hole it just seems weird because its unrealistic in golf.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Thanks for the feedback Steve.

It's all about risk/reward. If you try to drive the one on Twisted Realm, you have a chance of ending up in deep rough with grass and rocks in the way. If you go for the fairway, you have to contend with several bunkers, as well as a fairway that is heavily sloped. If a shot toward the green is short and up against the wood ties, a backward shot will be required to have a chance on the next shot. I am not the worst player for this game (average score 70.2), but I have never had a hole in one or even a double eagle on this hole.
twisted16a.JPG
(93.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
twisted16b.JPG
(97.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If I were to make one for my newer design, it would require a lucky bounce or 2 off of some rock formations. However, the shapes are just drawn right now, no elevation work done to it yet, so changing it is not an issue.

Doron
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Bryce,

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Build the course as you see fit. You're the designer.

It is a fantastic looking hole, 16. But I have two big questions for you. 1...is there anybody in the game that would take the long route around? 2...how far is the total hole via the middle route? Even if it's as far as 500, I'd say this hole works best as a par 4. Just my opinion. Look at 16 at Cyrpess Point. It seems ludicrous that it's a par 3, but at the same time, how much less excitement would there be without it?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

ADC,
The hole is around 315 yards straight at the flag, but is approximately 450-480 depending on what angle you attack the fairway from. I go at the fairway if I do not have a helping wind, simply because a mid to short iron shot from a fairway is easier to me than a half wedge shot from thick rough with grass in front of the ball. If you want you check it out, dl Twisted Realm and go to practice mode and hole 16. It only has 2 libs(I think).

I just like to follow up really tough holes or groups of holes with birdie chances. Just my style I guess.

Doron
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Interesting idea. My guess is a few of these exist in real golf but are pretty rare and it’s a little bit of a gimmick. I think it would be fun to play though.

It reminds me of a hole by Jim Dickson I like on a course called Blue Bayou for WGC. Here you can't quite drive the green. The two lines in the image are about 290 yards which is about how far you hit a driver on average in WGC. The one on the left leaves you about 250 yards to the green while the one on the right leaves you about 50 yards to the green. The trees on the right line aren't as much in the way as they look in this image but a poor shot could catch one and obviously the risk with the water is significantly higher. Even if you pull it off you have an awkward pitch distance left but it's still a lot better than 250 with a carry over water left yet. In fact if you go the conventional route you may well think it best to lay up short of the water and make it a 3 shot hole.
Attachments
blue_bayou_1.jpg
(194.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I would like another driveable par 5 to play in PGA. My oldest daughter has gotten a 2 on Twisted Realm a few times but she and I have both gotten a score of eight on it as well - pure fun, whether it is a realistic hole or not. That is what I like about this game – real enough to make me feel like Harry Vardon and imaginary enough to help me understand that it doesn’t matter! I would hate to stifle the creativity of a great designer – I say go for it!
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Brian,
The hole I have envisioned in my mind would be more like that one Dickson did. Possibly driveable, but mostly an agressive shot would just be close to the green. I do still think the option of being able to get there is fun.

Sandwedge,
I remember you saying that you play this game with your family, and I only made 2 sets of tees with my last design. I remember that and I will put some more playable tees for everyone to play. Thanks for your kind words. You have inspired me to go ahead and go for it! It will be risky, of course, but it should be fun.

thanks
Doron