Choosing textures, trees and objects from libraries

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Choosing textures, trees and objects from libraries

Post by stillgolfing »

Is there info available on this subject? I may attempt a course design this coming winter, but I'm considering the initial planning now. The course is real and I was a member for a number of years.I have an overhead photo and numerous pics from around the course. How does one survey available libraries to match up textures, trees and objects etc.? Obviously, I know what I am looking for, but I'm not sure of the best/easiest way to find it? I downloaded some design modules available here but they came from a defunct site and a high % of the screen shots are broken links and consequently it's difficult to figure out what to do.
Thanks, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Choosing textures, trees and objects from libraries

Post by bryce »

Dave,
The way I do it is I choose my textures first, then as I design, I add different plantings on some holes, until I have maybe 5 holes to look at. Then I just compile the course with those 5 holes so I can play it in practice mode and actually see how the colors look in gameplay. I also keep a notebook to keep up with certain types of trees or grasses that fit better, as well as how tall trees or grass might need to be.

Doron
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Bryce's answer suggests I didn't explain the issue properly. I will expand further. Let's say I need to find a match for a willow tree that is on my real course and let's say in this particular case (for ease of clarification) I have seen a similar tree on an existing PGA 2000 course. As it turns out that particular course uses 14 libraries. What viewer/utility/device would I use to determine which library that tree is in. Is there a Library Viewer as such in the Course Designer?
Thanks. Dave
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Do you have the Cloaking Tool? That is the #1 designer tool (outside of the Arch program) that IMO is an absolute necessity for designing. You'll find it in the utility section; download and install it.

Let's say you have 500 libes installed with your game. The Arch file won't open with this many libes. With the cloaker you can "hide" all of the libes you don't want to use. In your case you can "hide" (cloak) all but the 14 libes you want to check for that willow tree.

Unfortunately, the listing is based on numbers so there's no way to alphabetize the libes that show up in the Arch (that question always seems to arise at some point.)

You can utilize this "hunt" technique until you've found all the libes you want to use.

Any further questions, just ask.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Indy Anna Jones wrote:Do you have the Cloaking Tool? That is the #1 designer tool (outside of the Arch program) that IMO is an absolute necessity for designing. You'll find it in the utility section; download and install it.

Let's say you have 500 libes installed with your game. The Arch file won't open with this many libes. With the cloaker you can "hide" all of the libes you don't want to use. In your case you can "hide" (cloak) all but the 14 libes you want to check for that willow tree.

Unfortunately, the listing is based on numbers so there's no way to alphabetize the libes that show up in the Arch (that question always seems to arise at some point.)

You can utilize this "hunt" technique until you've found all the libes you want to use.

Any further questions, just ask.
Thanks for the info Indy.
Have you looked at my posting in the Tech Forum? The fact is, I won't need the Cloaking Tool or any other tool if I can't get the Architect to work. :hrmph:
Cheers, Dave
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

I posted on your tech help need page.
Robert@
Shotmaker

Post by Robert@ »

You cant identify and particular object or texture from any course. You can only search your librarys for that certain object, If you`ve seen the tree you want to use on a course your playing then checking the librarys used on that course will narrow your search.
Creating a library using exsisting objects isnt all that difficult to create your own library for your own course. it does cause players to have to download a new library with stuff they already have,but it does make designing a course much easier with all your objectss in one place and not having a course that is using 30 different librarys.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Thanks for the info Robert, good to know. I'm next going to review all the course design info available. Looking for some guidlines that are in logical order, basic and simple. I have downloaded the CopyRite Club tutorials, and reviewed a few. The problem with them is a) They are in alphabetical order b) they are advanced and very detailed C) many of the graphic links to key visual info are broken. If I don't find anything else then I'm going to print out the PGA2000 Architect "help screens" and go from there.
Cheers, Dave
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Dave I'm going to give you one more piece of info about the Cloaker (you'd think I owned stock in it, right? :laugh: )

On the third page is Projects. Once you've started your course prjoect and selected your libaries this is a quick and pretty easy way to cloak the unused libes without having to do it by hand each time.

What I do:
1. Cloak all the libes you DON'T intend to use (remember that stock libes won't cloak.) Close the Cloaker.
2. Open the architect and save it with your project name.
3. I draw a texture circle somewhere way out on the perimeter (btw, you can set the dimensions of your proposed course, you don't have to use the 2000 x 2000 square.) Then I place one object from each of my selected libraries and save again.
4. Close the arch tool.
5. Open the cloaker and click on projects.
6. Click on "new" and type in the project name (it doesn't have to be the same as the course file name.)
7. Click on the file icon, find your course file and click on it, then click ok, then click ok on the popup screen.
8. Click on the project name, then on "cloak others." (Initially these will already be cloaked, but if you've uncloaked to play another course, this will quickly and easily cloak the other 500 libraries.

Now when you open the arch tool, only your selected libes will appear. After you've completed your design, delete the added shape and objects and you're set to fly.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Wow Indy, I never knew that.
For me, I either have to work on a course and not play, or the other way around. Can't be bothered cloaking and uncloaking.
If this works, (and it should), I may have to think about getting the old earth moving tools out and planting a few fairways!
Haven't got a 'to do' list though, would have to think on that one a bit.