Thinking about project "Kapalua Plantation Course"

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Thinking about project "Kapalua Plantation Course"

Post by ogilvy2 »

Hello,

I always would have liked to have the "Kapalua Plantation Course" available for this game.
I am not good at all in designing "real courses", especially not such very difficult layouts like Kapalua. I think I will not be able to make it look even close. I especially think I can´t get the plantings even just a little bit similar to the real course.

I also know, that even if I can design someting, that is worth to upload one day, it will take me forever.

Never mind, I may give it a try, but please don´t be disappointed, if I will come to a point, where I will give up.

Here is a picture, from a very very early try to build hole 18.

Greetings
Boris
Attachments
hole18_kapalua_just_very_first_try.jpg
(262.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Thinking about project "Kapalua Plantation Course"

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Boris I mentioned the Kapalua course earlier this year and someone informed me that the Mai'Neuikahi course is "built" on the Kapalua plot. You might check it out.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Boris! From what I can remember of hole #18, That looks pretty darn good (Excluding the planting). Elevation seems very close to the real deal.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Looking good to me.
Indy Anna Jones wrote:Boris I mentioned the Kapalua course earlier this year and someone informed me that the Mai'Neuikahi course is "built" on the Kapalua plot. You might check it out.
He is using that plot. I did a rough outline of the shapes for him on it.
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Post by ogilvy2 »

Thank you very much Judy, Steve and Brian.

Yes Judy, Brian send me the plot with the layout that sure will help me.

So far it seems like I need to do some "bigger" changes/adjustments.
At some areas the elevations are just to much, so the ball would have no chance to stop on the fairway or green for example.
Brian told me, thats because of the tool he used for the plot/layout does not get it 100% right.
That may change my design in compare to the real one (hope not to much).

So far I have no idea, which libraries has the stuff I need to make it look like the real course plantings.

I especially could not find libraries that have similar big trees like you can see behind the building on the 1st pic I added.
The second pic is hole 18, that shows also some of those big trees in the background + on the right side of the tee and around some little stuff like that green grass where I could not find a fitting library so far too.

Has anyone a idea, which libraries could fit?

Greetings
Boris
Attachments
hole18_real_pic.jpg
(131.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
example_big_trees.jpg
(127.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Boris, here's an Augusta national tree that as far as I can recall, might be the most appropriate for that big tree look. The top branches aren't as open as in the picture, but I don't know of any trees with that shape and appearance.
I used various sizes but marked the 85, 75 and 55' tall ones; they appear to hold their shape well. The one marked "x" is just another kind of bushy AN pine that might go well with your course. This is just an arch view.
augusta trees.JPG
augusta natl trees
(35.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Post by ogilvy2 »

Thank you very much, Judy.

Yes, I agree, but looks better than what I found so far.
I hope I ll find some better (closer looking) trees or at least diffrent ones to mix them a little.

I had some time and gave hole 17 a very first try. I am sure not happy with it, but I may be able to improve later, when I start detail work (added a real pic too, so you can compare). I think you can see there pretty good, why I am especially not happy with that "big trees".

Greetings
Boris
Attachments
hole17_tee_real.jpg
(132.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole17_tee.jpg
(317.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole17_2nd_shot.jpg
(301.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Maybe take a look at North American Woods. Just a thought.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

JMHO Boris, and you know I'm not going to be anything but honest with you, I don't care too much for the light green texture. I know you're trying to capture the true colors, but after looking at the sea and sky, the real pictures look very overexposed to me. It's tough to see the contrast between the fairway and the rough, especially in the off-course area.

As far as the actual course work, so far it looks pretty good. I know it's hard to tell how it's going to end up looking at this point when you don't have the other holes for background, but I'm liking the work.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

I don't know specifically what kind of tree they are, but they do resemble the Norfolk Island pine.

http://www.ozanimals.com/image/albums/p ... d-pine.jpg

Hit google and see if you find anything worthy.