creating a hazard

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
DC#1
Tour Contender

creating a hazard

Post by DC#1 »

I'm trying to set a hazard which is long in the window. I zoom in and move each point to be in connection with the O.B. stakes and save as I go along. I try to do small sections at a time and then zoom out to check. I had just finished the last section and saved it but when I zoom out the whole long hazard had "shifted" and the one end would line but the other end was off. Does anyone know an easy way to do hazards or to keep the hazard from "shifting"? :confused:
Attachments
Hazard Problem.JPG
(235.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by DC#1 on March 25th, 2011, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: creating a hazard

Post by SteveHorn »

DC! I've had hazards shift on me before but I don't know what causes that to happen. I wait until everything else is done with the course then the very last thing I do is create the hazards if needed.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

DC, I encounter this all too often! It seems that wherever I have a certain amount of elevation work my land shapes "shift" on me as you described. I am currently dealing with this on my new project. I am designing so that the fairways hug the lines of the bunkers very tightly. This means I have to zoom in and add points as needed, but then I zoom out or move the screen and the shape is all out of place. The only remedy I have found is to make sure the points you are adding/moving are as close to the center of the screen as possible. This is very tedious because you can only work on a few points at a time then re-center the next group of points and so on.

However, since you're working with a hazard you don't have to worry about dropping the shape. I've learned that even if your shape looks out of place or shifted it may still drop without a problem. I guess the only way to check that with a hazard is to play a practice round and move your golfer around the hazard and see if the lie is appropriate. Hope that helps!
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Thanks for the replies. I try to keep them centered and see how that goes.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I think the shape and the hazard thing are two different problems.

The shapes always stay in the same place. It's your view that changes. For whatever reason, they decided that shapes would be displayed off the surface of the terrain. It's close enough that it isn't really a problem when you're zoomed out but when you zoom in to try to put two shapes right next to each other it’s a real pain in the butt. Viewing it off to the side can vary quite a bit while centering it shows it closer to where it will actually drop but it's still impossible to view it exactly where it is so I usually end up dropping one and guessing and checking with the other until it drops how I want it.

The hazard line on the other hand will actually move on you. It's very much like sounds will do too if you're not careful. These are probably related to the same bug. For that reason if I have any of either I always leave them for the last thing I do.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Thanks for the tip Steve and Brian. I will remember that for my next course. I did finally get it where it's real close, so I'm not messing with it anymore.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

DC, after you draw your hazards HIDE THEM just like you'd hide your course sounds, save the course, close the file then reopen it. When you show the hazard again make sure your plot is zoomed out before you do it. IF after opening the hazard has shifted, close the file without saving.

For some reason if you show the hazard or sounds after zooming in, the arch will mess them up. This also goes with the course perimeter, although for some reason it doesn't seem to do it as often or as badly.

Brian I've found that shape "movement" is often an optical illusion or drawing glitch and the shape only looks out of position. When I first started messing with the designer I'd shift the window and the shape would "move" then I'd spend hours (literally) trying to get the darn thing in place. Other times it might be one sharp bend (like on a trap or corner of a teebox) and I would have to adjust a point or two, but usually not. Sometimes if you make a small shape (like 2"-3" for a cut line) you'll get the red line and warning that you're trying to drop on the same shape in which case just expand it an inch and try again until it drops.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

If I'm creating a edge line ,(lets say for first cut to rough) if it won't drop in 2 or 3 inches I'll delete the edge I'm trying to drop. Then pick up the first cut and add points in the areas that I think the problem is occuring. You may need to move a few points slightly. As Indy said it usually is a corner or a curve that is the problem. Sometimes its if their is a very large space between points. It will usually drop in that 2" range when you try again and it doesn't take long to make those small adjustments.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

Yeah, that's another one of those "quirky behaviors" of the architect program. What I usually do, is make the "texture itself" be the hazard (set in lib creator) and place stake-objects along the edge of the texture. It's kind of a work-around but at least we have that option... otherwise, issues like this could drive a person crazy!

RDW