Old Timers Competition

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: Old Timers Competition

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

here's my Rd 2 at Santa Clara Dunes. I can't play much better than this, although I did miss an eagle putt on 18. My putter was my best friend this round and I had a massive stroke of luck when I was stuck right behind a tree after going for a "power shot" to the green, but was close enough to it to be able to shoot straight through the trunk. They say fortune favours the brave. :rolleyes:

To be honest, in mild winds, this course is a bit of a pussy cat.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Santa Clara Dunes - Brad The Dad - Old Timers - Rd 2.round
(23.69 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
JuanMenestrina
Scratch Golfer

Post by JuanMenestrina »

So, i made a good course selection if it´s tough. Juan
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Yeah, both of these are good courses Juan. Obviously, all courses are going to be quite easy under mild winds, but they should show their teeth as the wind increases. Both of these courses do that. :up:

Cheers

Brad
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

Round 1. The challenge on this Spriggs design are the slopes on both fairways and greens.
Attachments
Santa Clara Dunes - Galen_Rnd1.round
(28.24 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched Galen's Rd 1. He got off to a solid start and then hit a miraculous long-distance chip-in for birdie on Hole 7, for a very respectable front nine. Unfortunately, some of the greens that I warned you all about took their revenge on the back nine, and despite getting five birdies, six dropped shots, all on the greens, undid what was a promising round.

Galen, you will be pleased to know that Pin 2 in Rd 2 is nowhere near as drastic.

Cheers

Brad
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

here's my Rd 4 at The Wetlands at Florence Port. I was cruising along nicely on the front nine, thinking "This isn't too bad.". Then I got to the back nine. While I still scored pretty well, it was a lot harder to do so. Some of these greens are really hard to get close to the pin on. But, if you can get close, you will find that quite a few of the pins are in relatively flat areas, making putting, and thus scoring, quite easy.

This is a really well designed course. A good selection by Juan.

Just getting in nice and early, given Robyn and I will be away for a week and half from Friday, but our next course selection falls to Randy.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
Wetlands at Port Florence - Brad The Dad - Old Timers - Rd 4.round
(24.31 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
JuanMenestrina
Scratch Golfer

Post by JuanMenestrina »

My first round at Santa Clara Dunes. A great course. It would be great for an online match play round.
Juan
Attachments
Santa Clara Dunes - Juan Menestrina2023_1stRound.round
(28.91 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched Juan's Rd 1 against Galen's round, and what an interesting contest it was. Galen got off to a flyer, taking an early three shot lead. After that, there were some birdies to both players and some pars, so very little changed until the back nine. Then, everything changed! Galen's putter went haywire, allowing Juan to not only catch him, but build a two shot lead with three to play. Galen birdied 16 and 17 to square it all up on the 18th tee. Not sure what happened here, but I think Galen's putter must have ended up in Juan's bag, as he three putted for a bogey to Galen's one putt birdie. And that my friends was that!

Juan's consolation was a handicap win.

Cheers

Brad
RandyG
Scratch Golfer

Post by RandyG »

Rd 2

Putting is an issue :/
Attachments
Santa Clara Dunes - Randy Rd2.round
(25.77 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

just watched Randy's Rd 2 and what a good solid round it was. A bit unlucky not to screw a few approaches back into the hole, but also some very good saves on these challenging greens.

Cheers

Brad