Old Timers Competition

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: Old Timers Competition

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

Robyn and I are going away in our caravan for about three weeks from 20 May. I know we haven't even started this tourney yet, but in order to keep the ball rolling, I am proposing that I will select the next tournament's courses and conditions. I will play all four of my rounds and then post them and the courses and conditions just before we leave. That way, you guys will have something to keep you occupied while we are away.

Does anybody have any concerns with this proposal?

Cheers

Brad
JuanMenestrina
Scratch Golfer

Post by JuanMenestrina »

First Round at The Brentwood... tough course.
Juan
Attachments
The Hills at Brentwood - Juan Menestrina2023_1stRound.round
(29.09 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Last time I played at this course was back in 2005. I'm glad the wind was nearly not there. This is not an easy course.

Round 1
The Hills at Brentwood - Tarheel - Round 1.round
(25.54 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Juan and Brad,

thanks for posting early rounds to play against. I did just that and had a terrific battle with you, Brad. I missed a couple of short cross-hill putts, but hey, that's golf.

Juan, I think you need to get a new putter. You played pretty well overall, but your putter killed you. Better luck in Rd 2.

Here's my Rd 1 if you want to have a look.

Cheers

Brad
Attachments
The Hills at Brentwood - Brad The Dad - Old Timers - Rd 1.round
(25.58 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Guys,

here's my Rd 3 at The Falls. A nice course, but there are several holes that are almost identical off the tee. Putting can be difficult, with quite a few holes perched on the top of ridges in the green. Still, there are plenty of opportunities to score well out there. The question this course asks is, "Are you good enough to take them?".

Cheers

Brad

PS: This course has no handicaps posted by the designer, so I will be using our tournament scores to grade the difficulty of each hole.
Attachments
The Falls G & CC - Brad The Dad - Old Timers - Rd 3.round
(25.25 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

On 17th hole playing vs Juan and 5 under par the game decided it had enough and the round had an instant death, much like my interest. Tried to load the backup file but it was the course I played before.

I have played Perfect Golf´s RTS mouse swing with no meter for 4-5 years now and I am not sure I have ever been 5 under par, even with fair pin placements. I have no chance against the best PG clickers, but often play even online games with the few RTS players. A good shot without a meter feels almost as satisfying as a good real life shot. There are so many more ways to mess up than just 12 and 6 o`clock on a meter.

So I guess what I am trying to say is thanks and all my love for this time, GBC has been a great part of my life.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Hello all!

Well, I played a glorious round of golf, probably one of my best in Round 2, and when I finished and went to post, I realized that I had played with the wrong Pin number! What a disappointment!

So...loaded up the PROPER pin number and played again. I did NOT have a repeat performance from that of the wrong pin, but I still feel really good about this and feel like I'm clicking pretty well right now.

All in all, after 8 months now of playing a steady amount of JN6 across a couple of tours, I feel like I might have climbed the ladder back to where I was in my late 30's.

Goran: I really hate to hear you might not be playing further, because its so nice having a classic JN6er around. I do understand what you are saying though, because its exactly how I feel about true swings. All I've ever known is the click method, and in fact, the reason I enjoy PGA 2k23 is exactly because it offers the click choice again. I just couldn't ever get into the TS, mostly a lack of patience thing. I started playing click golf with JNSE while I was in medical school, so sticking with the click thing keeps me feeling my youth even as I age. It just 'takes me back' if that makes sense. But, I do realize we all have a favorite way of playing and how real we want it to feel. The cool thing for me is I was able to salvage all my old course records and saved shots from an ancient harddrive by a small miracle (even got lucky on a password to access that drive!) and so I'm competing against my younger self.

I am so glad to have shared the course with you some! Keep 'em straight :)

Round 2 (with the correct pin)
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Goran,

I hope this doesn't mean you are leaving the tour. You have improved so much over the last 5 tourneys. Did the whole game fail or did you just lose your round?

Would love to see you continue competing, as your input, both as a player and an aficionado of all things GBC makes it an honour to have you on our little tour.

Cheers

Brad
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Brad,

if the one you discarded was better than the one you submitted, I can see why you would have been upset. That was a cracking round, particularly the back nine.

Cheers

Brad
JuanMenestrina
Scratch Golfer

Post by JuanMenestrina »

Hi Goran! Don´t leave us!!!

juan