2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play recorded rounds with Tarheel (schedule with links in first post)

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK THIRTEEN
Sony Open in Hawaii

The tour enjoys another week in beautiful Hawaii for the Sony Open. This event is a huge charity event for Hawaii, in fact they claim it to be the largest charity golf event yearly in the state. It plays on Oahu in Honolulu at Waialae Country Club and we have a real course rendition of it thanks to Terry Armstrong, with some differences. It appears that now its listed as a par 70, 7044 yds and his version was created as a Par 72 and 7011 yds. Course changes likely have been made since his release in 1/2015. Last year, Kevin Na won the event. The first champion listed is Gay Brewer from 1965, and a notable winner Ernie Els winning back to backs in 2003-2004, with Jimmy Walker being back to back winner in 2014-2015. Jack Nicklaus won this one in 1974 with a score of 271. The Sony Open claims 57 years of competition at Waialae making it the third longest running host course.

Its really another great course from Terry and I find it plays significantly harder than his Kapalua course. Great custom work and lovely views all around. Such a special treat to have both the main Hawaii courses available to us. Its long and getting close to the pin a real challenge. Sadly, his notes mention that he lost his 32 year old daughter suddenly at Christmas time 2014 while he was finishing this course, and it really hurts me to hear that. I will say a prayer to her up in heaven each time I play this course.

I still hope we can see a course or two more from Terry and I hope he is doing well.

Enjoy your rounds here!

THE TOURNAMENT

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
Round 1: Medium, Pin 1, Hard
Round 2: Mild, Pin 4, Hard
Round 3: Mild, Pin 5, Hard
Round 4: Medium, Pin 3, Normal

18” gimmes (although I’m not taking them)
No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... lae_cc.zip <-- url fixed

:golf:
Tarheel's .round files:
Hole number 6 from the approach.

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
waielae-hole6approach.jpg
(189.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
waielae-splash.jpg
(23.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: 2022-23 PGA tour/Worldswing tour, play rounds with Tarheel (join anytime, schedule in first post)

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK FOURTEEN
The American Express 2023 DAY 1

Today we're kicking off the west coast swing with the American Express tournament in La Quinta, California. Today, at my tee time, its 2mph winds with no rain and 54 deg. Not a bad day for golf! As I understand it, this tournament is a Pro-Am and features simultaneous tournaments, a regular tour pro event and the Amateur event, after which the top six get to play for the main event trophy on Sunday. The event is held on three courses, the PGA West Pete Dye Stadium course, the Jack Nicklaus Tournament course at Pga West, and La Quinta Country Club. As JN6 has only been graced with the first of these (where the finals are held), substitutes have been made, but they are GOOD substitutes!

Today, we are playing at Indian Wells which was designed by Dirk Ephlin, a very familiar name in the catalog of solid JN6 courses. This course is a real world PGA course in the La Quinta area, Coachella valley. It was released in April of 2002 as a 6597 yds, par 72 course with gorgeous sky colors. As you play, you will hear tribal music of different shades which may or may not be to your taste, but I actually found it pleasant...especially the 'rain dance' segments which you will clearly know when they come. The fairways are a bit rolling and sandtraps placed well. I will warn that water is in play and I wore my swim trunks...

I will post my rounds in separate postings because we are going to be playing three courses for the weekend. Tomorrow, we play the Arnold Palmer private course.

THE TOURNAMENT

Day 1 (round 1): Mild, Normal, Pin 3

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... _wells.zip <-- fixed link

Tarheel’s current Hcp: 8
Tarheel's .round files:
Hole 17, from the tee. Great colors! Strange plantings on the tees though...

Looking back to the tee from the green area on number 9

From the approach to green on hole 18. This is a tight landing area and you can bail out from the tee for a longer approach shot to the right of here.

Return to season schedule: http://golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/view ... 443#p11443
Attachments
indian_wells_hole18-fromapproach.jpg
(232.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
indian_wells_hole9-fromgreentotee.jpg
(224.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
indian_wells_hole17-fromtee.jpg
(269.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
indian_wells-splash.jpg
(16.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 15th, 2023, 1:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK FOURTEEN
The American Express 2023 DAY 2

Welcome back to the second day of the American Express ProAm. As mentioned yesterday, we are working our way through all three courses and today is another substitute course for the real course on tour. Today we are playing the PGA West Arnold Palmer Private Course which was designed for JN6 by Rich Lussier on 1/11/04. As he mentions, this was a conversion of a JNSE course for the UGA tour with a lot of contributing members early on. Rich took it on to rebuild it and has a masterpiece here. I think its an elite course for JN6. Fantastic real world backgrounds, and great details on each hole, bringing this course to life. There are some short, but tricky, par threes with scenic down hills. There are also many holes with water in play to keep it exciting. I think all of the par five are pretty much reachable from the black tees in two but getting close to the pin is not easy, so eagles will be available but hard to get.

The wind picked up today on the second round but its a beautiful day for golf anyway.

Tomorrow we move on over to the Pete Dye Stadium Course at PGA West.

THE TOURNAMENT

Day 2 (round 2): Medium, Normal, Pin 2

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... rivate.zip <-- url fixed

Tarheel’s event hcp: 8
Tarheel's .round files:
One of several really great looking par 3's. Despite a couple of them being short, they are tricky on the green.

Number 7 from the tee area with a carry over water.

Par 4 number 16, with the green nestled off to the right of the fairway over a stream.

Attachments
pga_west_palmer-splash.jpg
(26.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pga_west_palmer_hole16fromgreen.jpg
(231.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pga_west_palmer_hole7fromteearea.jpg
(272 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pga_west_palmer_hole17fromtee.jpg
(242.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK FOURTEEN
The American Express 2023 DAYS 3 - 4

Let's wrap this up, we are on days 3 & 4 of the American Express tournament and head to the PGA West Stadium Course. This is the big event and you've made the cut. I find this a great course to play and its really fun with incredible scenary and a true to the real world course design. This course is 7310 yds and a par 72 brought to you by Terry Armstrong in 12/06. Its wonderful. I've played it on PGA 2k23 and on here within the same day, and I find both versions outstanding. Terry spent a lot of time making this one; OMG, look at those backgrounds! Its fun to compare our last course with this one given that both courses are very close together in the real world. I enjoy both courses quite a bit and give kudos to both designers. In mild to moderate conditions, if you play conservatively, you will score a nice number. You can be aggressive and get even better numbers hitting the marks with favorable winds. Enjoy your rounds!

Four days of golf, three different courses. I like this format and fortunately, our next two events are similarly organized. Next week, the tour goes to Torrey Pines North and South (we have south so will have a sub for north), and following we have Pebble beach, Spyglass, and a sub for Monterey Peninsula Club. Every course will be a real treat and if you don't play along with me, you are missing something!

THE TOURNAMENT

Day 3 (round 3): Medium, Normal, Pin 3
Day 4 (round 4): Mild, Hard, Pin 4

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn ... A_west.zip <-- url fixed

Tarheel’s event hcp: 8
Tarheel's .round files for rounds 3 & 4:
Beautiful shot of hole 17 from the tee, par 3.

Approach shot into the green on number 10 if you end up in the weeds a little.

Hole 7 from the green

Attachments
pga_west-splash.jpg
(27.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pga_west-hole10-fromapproach.jpg
(182.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pga_west-hole7-fromgreen.jpg
(187.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pga_west-hole17-tee.jpg
(197.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 19th, 2023, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

PGA WEEK FIFTEEN
Farmers Insurance Open Days 1 & 2

We continue the west coast swing with play at Torrey Pines in the San Diego area. Tedd Kroll was the first winner in 1952, Arnold Palmer in 1957 and 61, and Jack in 1969. Tiger Woods won this event a record 7 times! Torrey Pines started hosting in 1968. The tour plays this event Wednesday through Saturday. This is not far from last weeks play in the Coachella region (a couple hours west), but it certainly feels different being along the shoreline. The real tour plays Torrey Pines North and South, and as we only have the South course we must substitute. I've chosen to go with Mission Bay which is an outstanding creative effort from Jeff Helton from 11/12, though the course goes back through a couple of changes into the JN5 days. Its a beauty. Par 72, 7132 yards and with a good mix of inland and seaside holes, its the picture of coastal California. There is nothing I don't like about this golf course. Sounds are relaxing and I enjoy the birds and sea. Great colors. Great hole designs. Its listed as fictional, but I could see this as a real course.

We are playing here two rounds, and will move on to Torrey Pines for Friday and Saturday.

Enjoy!

THE TOURNAMENT

Day 1 (round 1): Mild, Hard, Pin 2
Day 2 (round 2): Strong, Hard, Pin 1

No mulligans
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> http://golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/jn6/fi ... y-2012.zip <-- url fixed

Tarheel’s event hcp: 9
Tarheel's .round files for rounds 1 & 2:
Markedly different view from the tee from last week in La Quinta area. Gorgeous.

Par 5 number 6 looking at your second shot area. The Par 5's are all good for attempts on eagle.

From the green of number 15, par 4.

Attachments
missionbay-n15_fromgreen_par4.jpg
(187.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
missionbay-n6_tosecondshotarea_par5.jpg
(231.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
missionbay-n18_fromtee.jpg
(213.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
missionbay_splash.jpg
(19.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on July 17th, 2023, 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

I really enjoy reading your writeups and watching the screenshots, brings back memories of the courses I loved playing. There were many courses like this one, Crash Point West by Mike New and the two sister courses by Scott Antes (can´t recall their names atm).
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

Agree with Goran. This is awesome stuff tarheel!!!
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Thank you both! Sometimes I wonder if this all falls on deaf ears, and I’m glad it offers enjoyment to you and to know its being read :)

I’m really having a great time reliving some of these courses, and even playing some I didnt play before. Also, its kind of fun following along with the tour and each week researching more about the tournaments or looking at maps to see where the golf courses are.

I’m actually learning a bunch myself.

Nostalgia too…so many old designers have disappeared over the years for one reason or the other, and I often wish I could get in touch with them to thank them for giving me fun, even decades later.

PS. Goran, you are thinking about Carmel Point West and East…a pair of my absolute favorites for JN6. I think West was one of the first custom courses I played.
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

tarheel wrote: September 30th, 2022, 7:47 pm 3/9
Week 21: TPC Sawgrass 2010 - 🎨Armstrong
I think there might be a more up-to-date version of this course available. ;) :laugh:
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

JReel wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:04 pm
tarheel wrote: September 30th, 2022, 7:47 pm 3/9
Week 21: TPC Sawgrass 2010 - 🎨Armstrong
I think there might be a more up-to-date version of this course available. ;) :laugh:
I played many times your original from back in 2000 or so I think? I really liked that one, and saw this 2010 from Terry but didnt know there was one after that. Did you do an update to your original one? I don't have it if so and would be pleased to get it.

update: ahhhh, and now I see it! 2017. Is this yours? I'm downloading it now, and suspect it will become the official representative for Sawgrass on my list :)