'Alainn Tr'aigh Links

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
mikey2020
Weekend Duffer

Re: 'Alainn Tr'aigh Links

Post by mikey2020 »

Hole #6 531yd Par4 - Off the tee you are faced with a blind tee shot with the only aid being a target sign which is out about 200yds from the back tee. The landing area ends around 290yds from the back tee with a burn crossing about 15 yards beyond the end of the first fairway. Should you choose to try to go for the second fairway the burn is in play and will need to carry your drive about 325 yards to reach. If successful, you will still be face with anywhere from a mid-iron to wood approach to a green that pitches from back to front. While the bunker near the second burn crossing shouldn't come into play and is more of a visual aid, the back bunker over the green will and will create a difficult shot back to the pin as the shot will be mainly downhill and fast. Birdie is possible here but so are big numbers. The wind will determine what you do off the tee.
Attachments
hole06-1.jpg
(520.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole06-2.jpg
(430.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole06-4.jpg
(419.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole06-5.jpg
(394.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Sundance wrote: December 26th, 2022, 11:50 am
Sundance wrote: December 17th, 2022, 12:15 am Group course update: I have now received four folders, Charlie (2 holes), Goran, Brad and Galen (2 holes). I received messages from Goran and Jeff that they are going to combine their two holes into one folder, holes 17 and 18. We still have a ways to go so get them design minds working!!
Rick Sugarman sent me his folder and he did a fantastic job on his design hole. We now have five folders and seven (7) holes completed. Roy your up next with a par 5 hole #3. Keep em' coming guys.
Update: Mikey sent me his folder with holes #5 and #6 so we now have six (6) folders and nine (9) holes completed. Roy and Fish are up next! Keep em' coming guys!!
ChuckH
Weekend Duffer

Post by ChuckH »

JReel wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 10:43 pm Initial construction on hole 17 is underway. I was lucky this year to play a few Seth Raynor courses (Yale, Sleepy Hollow and Yeamans Hall) and drawing inspiration from those rounds, the 17th at Aliann Tr'aigh Links will be a "Biarritz" hole, one of the template holes that CB Macdonald and Raynor are famous for.

If you'd like to read more about the Biarritz template hole, here's a good article from the Fried Egg website: https://thefriedegg.com/biarritz-template-hole/

Here's what the 9th at Yale looks like from the tee... that's me getting ready to close my eyes and hope for the best! :laugh:

Links2003 has Yale Golf Club. Here's a screen shot from about the same place that you were in. There's a swale in the green from back to front.
Attachments
JReel.jpg
(222.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

Copied and pasted the screenie from my site for you Chuck, hope thats ok? I played MS Links for many years inbetween GBC and Perfect Golf. Shame you can not see the swale from tee, would give a nasty surprise to players :)

Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Sundance wrote: December 28th, 2022, 4:14 pm
Sundance wrote: December 26th, 2022, 11:50 am
Sundance wrote: December 17th, 2022, 12:15 am Group course update: I have now received four folders, Charlie (2 holes), Goran, Brad and Galen (2 holes). I received messages from Goran and Jeff that they are going to combine their two holes into one folder, holes 17 and 18. We still have a ways to go so get them design minds working!!
Rick Sugarman sent me his folder and he did a fantastic job on his design hole. We now have five folders and seven (7) holes completed. Roy your up next with a par 5 hole #3. Keep em' coming guys.
Update: Mikey sent me his folder with holes #5 and #6 so we now have six (6) folders and nine (9) holes completed. Roy and Fish are up next! Keep em' coming guys!!
John sent his folder with holes #11 and #12 so we now have seven (7) folders and eleven (11) holes completed. John did a very nice job on his holes but they take ten (10) minutes to open just his folder so I don't know what impact this will have on the design. Will update this situation when we get to it which will be awhile since I only have two holes imported at this time. Keep em' coming guys and have a Safe and Happy New Year!!
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

haha which John is that, our portugese friend? He must have worn out two mouses planting grass if it takes that long to open the hole in the designer. I did the same on the 1st hole of Svartedalen, but it did not affect the actual course loading once it has been compiled :)

It is 2023 here in Sweden now, Happy New Year Steve and everyone else
Last edited by Goran on January 3rd, 2023, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

2023 also here in Oz, so a Happy New Year to all my JN6 mates, past and present. My new year's wish is for this great game to regain its popularity and for more members to take up competition play again. I've looked at all the other games and this one is still the best, in my opinion.

Cheers

Brad
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Update: Bill McConnell has sent me his folder a beautiful seaside par 5 and hole #7.

Folders received: Charlie, Rick, Mikey, Bill, Galen, John, Brad and Goran. 8 of 14 designers.

Holes: 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18. 12 of 18 holes.
aristocrat48
Chronic Slicer

Post by aristocrat48 »

Hole 7 is in the books. Its a par 5, 539 yards. A dogleg left bordered on the left by water and on the right by the outskirts of the village. The
fairways are narrow and full of bunkers, but this hole is a great chance at a birdie. The green is extra large and full of
subtle undulations. Your tee shot will determine your score!!!! I tried to make the hole enjoyable to look at and play yet not too difficult! Enjoy!!!
Hole7Tee.jpg
(421.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole7Fairway.jpg
(380.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole7green.jpg
(311.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole7Backtotee.jpg
(216.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Great looking hole Bill! Talk about threading the needle; missing those bunkers is going to take some doing.

Cheers

Brad