WorldSwing World Tour 23-24/Recorded Rounds with Tarheel

Any JN series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: WorldSwing World Tour 23-24/Recorded Rounds with Tarheel

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 17
First Weekly Venue
Gulfstream

Where are we?
Veracruz, Mexico

I'm not sure that our designer of Gulfstream, Scott Clark, ever really named where this course is, but I saw a reference to Mexico in a course database, and I'm feeling that Veracruz would be just as good a location as any other, which is conveniently a little southwest of our trip to the Yucatan peninsula for Cenotes de los Mayas last week. This course is 7208 yards, par 72, created in Sept 2001.

You will meet a challenge, requiring shot shaping and a little distance to tackle this difficult course. In my first round, I certainly scraped branches more often than I have in quite a while. Also, beware of some real risk rewards where water is involved. Many times you will have really long carries to contemplate after your tee shot, if you want to hit the green. On the par 5's of this type, you will need an accurate power swing.

I laugh, because when I first played this course a couple of decades ago, the heckler out there on the course insulted me. In fact, I think its inclusion led me not to play it again for years and years because I didn't understand the context, and I though Scott was just being mean...especially after years ago, off the tee, I heard it, and dropped a tee shot in water in response. Vivid memory of this.

Well, all these years later, I actually watched Happy Gilmore for the first time in my life (maybe 7 years ago), during my break from JN6, and I immediately realized where that heckling son of a gun came from...which changed my whole opinion and gave me a good laugh :)

I've been looking forward to playing this course again, simply to experience it in a different way. And I'll tell you, he did NOT rattle me this time, and in fact I think I birdied for score and with my middle finger :)

PLAY INFORMATION

CONDITIONS :thumbsup:
Round 1: Mild - Normal - Pin 3
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 1

No gimmes (recommended)
No mulligans (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter
I am playing each round once and taking what I get

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... stream.zip

:golf:
Tarheel’s current hcp: 8
Tarheel's .round files Image
The hole 8 par 3, with a tight window to put your tee onto the green. This is one of the holes where the smartass spectator will be calling you out...

Number 15, a very short par 4, looking back from the green. You could drive the green with some power, but your life might get difficult. I think I rolled off the fairway playing it safe...

A watery long risk/reward awaits you after your tee shot, as seen here. Great classic design on the coast and you will need a really long carry with some shot shape to get it.

Return to season schedule: http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... 217#p13217
Attachments
veracruz.jpg
(82.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Gulfstream-splash.jpg
(25.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Gulfstream-no8_par3_tight_heckler.jpg
(266.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Gulfstream-no15_shortpar4_approach.jpg
(229.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Gulfstream-no11_par5_secondrisky.jpg
(245.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 17
Second Weekly Venue
Belize Audobon Trail

Where are we?
Belize

We'll catch a long bus ride to our next destination further south in Belize. John Carlton created a masterwork with this August 2000 release of Belize Audobon Trail. Its par 71 and short by recent standards at 6984 yards. John's other courses are also well worth playing and these include Nanih Waiya, Shrine of the Mountain Goddess, Worthington Chapel Grounds and a couple of other courses in combination with Jim Deadman. Enjoy the scenery as you play and Happy New Year!

We'll have a one day event on New Years Day at an entirely different longitude coming up after a couple rounds here.

Also, the first of our PGA signature events next week will give us a one day pass to revisit Kapalua Plantation along with the pros, for those of you with nostalgia for our PGA Tarheel tour last year!

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Soft - Pin 1
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 3

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... Belize.zip

Tarheel’s current hcp: 8
Number 11 from the tee, one of many good looking par 3's

Approach shot on the par 4 number 8

Approach shot coming in to the green on number 15, par 4

Return to season schedule: http://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/forum/v ... 217#p13217
Attachments
belize-carib.jpg
(59.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
belize-splash.jpg
(18.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet
belize-hole11_tee_par3.jpg
(201.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
belize-hole8_par4_approach.jpg
(202.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
belize-hole15_par4_approach_fromgreen.jpg
(218.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 18
Special Event: Happy New Year!
Northern Lights Golf Club

Happy 2024!

You enjoyed manmade fireworks last night, and now we head very far north into the heart of Alaska to see a natural wonder of lights, with the Aurora Borealis here at Tony Alleman's Northern Lights Golf Club. Very interesting brush strokes here to create a different background than other courses and this par 72, 6970 yard journey is not easy. First few holes will lead you to suspect otherwise, but its not going to be a cakewalk.

You will see some wildlife if you are mindful of your surroundings. I saw a moose or two, and had an encounter with a bear as well!

Have a good time on this likely underrated course. Tony also gave us Fubar and Three Ridges. A very abbreviated career of course creation sadly.

PLAY INFORMATION

ONE ROUND: Medium - Normal - Pin 4

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... lights.zip

Tarheel’s current hcp: 9
Hole 10 from the tee

Approach shot on hole 6, par 4

Hole 13, seen from behind the green with the golfer making an approach shot (red arrow pointing him out). Can you spot a moose?

Attachments
northern_lights-splash.jpg
(25.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
northern_lights-hole10_tee.jpg
(240.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
northern_lights-hole6_approach.jpg
(188.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
northern_lights-hole13_approach_golferred.jpg
(232.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on February 4th, 2024, 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 18
First Weekly Venue
Patagonia Plains

Where are we?
Patagonia, Chile, very far south

Resuming the tour, its a very long way from the northern reaches of Alaska all the way down to the southern reaches of Chile, I'll give you that! And we did this in less than a day...

Patagonia Plains (March 2002) is another wonderful course by Manuel Kellner in his particular style of challenging and exotic locations. We already visited one of his courses this season and last year's tour traveled to Easter Island to golf around the statues at Rapa-Nui and we also were challenged at Meteora Monastery in Greece (with the “For Your Eyes Only” mountain fortress in the background) ...both very challenging courses. This course by comparison is a bit more tame, yet still not easy, but adding the Strong winds for at least the first round, yikes!

For some other of his works check out the two above and also Small Gaulic Village, Tanami Desert, Dingle Bay, Baskerville...just to name a few.

If not for Mr. Kellner, we would be missing out on some areas of the world for a worldwide golf tour. I wish he had done a couple more in central asia, an area sorely lacking for us in JN6 (like near Moscow, or further east.).

We will visit four more of his courses later on this tour, in Africa and Europe.

Good luck!

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Strong - Hard - Pin 2
Round 2: Mild - Soft - Pin 4

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... plains.zip

Par 5 number 14, with a mid iron off the tee to place yourself 90 degrees to a long long second shot into the green

Number 8, par 5, second shot

Par 3 number 9 seen from the green and small screen from tee (you must negotiate over a tree)

Attachments
patagonia.jpg
(29.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
patagonia_plains-splash.jpg
(28.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
patagonia_plains-no14_par5_sharpturn.jpg
(270.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
patagonia_plains-no8_par5_secondshot.jpg
(254.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
patagonia_plains-no9_par3_fromgreen.jpg
(261.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on January 4th, 2024, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 18
Second Weekly Venue
St Valeries Country Club

Where are we?
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Nobody is gonna cry for you in Argentina at St. Valeries Country Club because compared to recent adventures, this golf course is gentle. Even in medium winds, I think you should score very low. Alejandro Suarez gave us this golf course in July 2004 and it really looks nice and natural. For my first round, I found very flat greens, so if you get within a few club lengths of the pin, you should be able to drop the ball in the hole. The length of this course is 5998 yards, and par 72, and from the short length, you can see why scores should go low! To the best of my knowledge, this is the only course Mr. Suarez gave us for the JN series.

This would be a very interesting course with the tees moved back and "Tiger-proofed" a bit.

We have two rounds here and then we will join the PGA for a round in the awesome Terry Armstrong, Kapalua Plantation course. \

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Normal - Pin 4
Round 2: Medium - Normal - Pin 5

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... leries.zip

Par 4, number 5, a very short par 4 from the approach

Number 4, par 4 from the tee

Par 3, number 16 seen from the green

Attachments
buenos_aires.jpg
(38.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
stvalerie-splash.jpg
(24.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
stvalerie-hole4_par4_tee.jpg
(229.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
stvalerie-hole16_fromgreen_par3.jpg
(268.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet
stvalerie-hole5_par4_short_approach.jpg
(247.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 18
PGA Signature Event
The Sentry: Kapalua Plantation Course

Where are we?
We are currently in Maui!

"PGA Tour play begins with The Sentry. Initially, only golfers who had won a tour event the year before could compete; however, this year, invitations were extended to players who had qualified for the Tour Championship. The tournament was founded in 1953. It was the first tour event each year, from 1986 to 2013. The PGA Tour switched to a wrap-around schedule in the fall of 2013, starting in September and ending in August."
-https://www.sportskeeda.com/golf/the-se ... tart-times

Chris Kirk won this event yesterday with a -29 score over four days to beat the next player by 1 stroke.

This is the first of the PGA Signature events for 2024 WorldSwing tour. These are courses we are going to revisit that are featured for the PGA tour, which I played in full last year but due to their special nature, really felt like I wanted to see them again. These will be one round events.

Kapalua Plantation Course is a fantastic design from Terry Armstrong and released April 2003 and is a wonderful real world rendition. I really like the long drives you will get with some of the big downhills off the tee often. Many holes will find you on a downslope hitting into the greens, which offers a special challenge. Greens are not flat, so getting close is very important. Big hitters will have their chances!

This is probably one of my most played courses, judging by the number of posted scores since 2004. I still love it.

PLAY INFORMATION

ONE ROUND: Mild - Hard - Pin 3

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... tation.zip

From the tee on # 17

Hole 5 from the green, a reachable par 5

Hole 8, par 3 from the tee

Attachments
hawaii.jpg
(17.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kapalua-splash.jpg
(19.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kapalua-tee17.jpg
(200.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kapalua-hole5_fromgreen_par5.jpg
(163.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kapalua-hole8_par3_fromtee.jpg
(210.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on February 4th, 2024, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 19
First Weekly Venue
Designer Break: Scott Antes
Heritage Lakes CC

We take a break from our usual programming to enjoy a series of courses by another celebrated designer of JN golf. This time, Scott Antes. His designs are always visually very clean and always with surprising challenges on holes that at first glance don't look too tough. This one is a parkland style course called Heritage Lakes Country Club which he says is characterized by mounds near the greens and plenty of water challenges. His advice is to be precise with landing areas, and its good advice, as my time in the long grass in round one will attest to. The course was released in October 2000 and is par 72, 7237 yards.

Scott gave us a huge number of high quality designs but make sure to play the Carmel Point courses for a special treat (we will play the West a few months from now). Also, look at his Copper Point, Colonial CC, Desert Pines, Riviera, Sahalee, and Stormy Ridge. This list ignores many other very fine courses.

If Scott is around and pays any attention to this thread, would love to hear his thoughts on this design!

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Normal - Pin 4
Round 2: Medium - Soft - Pin 2 - 50%Fog

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... _lakes.zip

Tarheel’s current hcp: 10
Hole 9, par 4 seen from the tee. This is a divided fairway, with creek down the center. Really nice visual.

Hole 16, from the tee, on this handsome par 3. The homes look very natural around the course.

Approach shot on this par 4, hole 5. Another house tucked away really making this feel like a local country club.

Attachments
heritage_lakes-splash.jpg
(19.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
heritage_lakes-hole9_par4_fromtee.jpg
(175.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
heritage_lakes-hole16_fromtee_par3.jpg
(239.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
heritage_lakes-hole5_approach_fromgreen.jpg
(203.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by tarheel on January 13th, 2024, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 19
Second Weekly Venue
Seaside Plateau

Go back to January 1998 and the release of an early Antes design, Seaside Plateau. This is a fun little course and as will continue to be his trademark, it has a realistic look to it with a nice variety of holes to challenge. This one is claimed to be fictional and along the North Oregon coastline. It measures 7188 yards for our round, with par 71. Take notice of the variety of animal sounds, including wolves, birds and dogs. I like the use of the fog horn later, to go along with the nice use of a lighthouse.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Mild - Hard - Pin 5
Round 2: Medium - Hard - Pin 2

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... eau_cc.zip

Par 5, number 18 from the tee with the lighthouse visible through the clearing.

Hole 10 approach shot coming in to the green. As are many, you will find a nice flat area of green here.

Hole 7 from above the tee area on this par 3.

Attachments
seaside_plateau-splash.jpg
(23.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
seaside_plateau-hole18_par5_tee.jpg
(230.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
seaside_plateau-hole10_approach_fromgreen.jpg
(215.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
seaside_plateau-hole7_teearea.jpg
(293.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 20
First Weekly Venue
Brookshire Club

Our third treat from Mr. Antes is the Brookshire Club which he indicates in his description to be a compiling of some of his better holes which were otherwise unused on other courses. He positions the course in the Carolinas (my home!) and it offers 3 par 5's and 5 par 3's. I consider this a difficult challenge, particularly on the greens, and in fact on approach trying to come in close. Release was March 2003, and it looks fantastic. At 7057 yards and par 70, you will have to work. For a moment, you can imagine you are playing at Quail Hollow, Charlotte.

Enjoy!

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Medium - Normal - Pin 2
Round 2: Medium - Soft - Pin 3

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... e_club.zip

Hole 15 from the tee

Hole 16, approach shot with a tough downhill off the second shot on this nearly drivable par 4

Hole 3, par 5 seen from the green

Attachments
brookshire_club-splash.jpg
(16.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
brookshire_club-hole15_tee.jpg
(229.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
brookshire_club-hole16_approach_shortpar4.jpg
(218.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
brookshire_club-hole3_par5_fromgreen.jpg
(218.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

WorldSwing Week 20
Second Weekly Venue
Ghost Ridge Players Club

The last stop celebrating Scott Antes is Ghost Ridge Players Club, which is a par 71 course in the woods with nearby mountains. Release was September 2000, but this version is an update of a JN5 course of the same name released two years earlier. We'll start off in the mild winds, making this course very friendly to accurate hitters. Sand traps and water are always welcoming to the stray hitter, so be careful in your setup!

Overall, I've really enjoyed this trip through a few of Scott's courses and find them all very solid, challenging, and pleasing to the eye.

The last time I played this course was May, 2005, and I played three rounds. My first round score fell right in the middle of my scores back then.

Next week, we will start enjoying the islands of the Pacific Ocean.

PLAY INFORMATION

Round 1: Mild - Normal - Pin 4
Round 2: Strong - Hard - Pin 1

No gimmes (recommended)
BLACK tees
Medium or faster meter

-------> https://www.golfsimclubhouse.com/jack/j ... _ridge.zip

Hole 18, second shot coming into the clubhouse and a drink waiting on #19

Number 2 seen from the green, par 3

Hovering above with a drone we look down on a golfer taking his second on this par 5 number 15; careful coming in to that water!

Attachments
ghost_ridge-splash.jpg
(17.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ghost_ridge-18_par4_secondtoclubhouse.jpg
(226.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ghost_ridge-2_par3_fromgreen.jpg
(194.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ghost_ridge-15_second_par5.jpg
(211.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet