'Alainn Tr'aigh Links

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: 'Alainn Tr'aigh Links

Post by Sundance »

Update: So far guys I have two folders returned for a total of three (3) holes completed. Holes #1 and #15 by Charlie and #18 by Goran.
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

Hole 10, 507 yard par 4. The hole plays slightly downhill to the green with a helping right to left wind. The fairway begins to narrow about 290 yards out from the tee. Your drive will need to avoid two fairway bunkers to the right, the canal and an unplayable hazard to the left of the fairway. The canal loops around and is in play to the left of the green which is also protected by a pot bunker on the right. The approach shot will need to be fairly accurate to score well as the green is bisected by a ridge that runs diagonally from left to right.

Last edited by Galen_Golf4676 on January 2nd, 2023, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Okay, change of plans. You guys display your holes whenever you want but remember that I need the folder as soon as it's complete so I can compile the course and get it completed.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

I liked the idea of releasing the holes in order Steve, but perhaps this way will speed up the release of the whole course. I have "finished" my hole about 20 times, but always think of something else I can do to improve it. I will hopefully get it to you soon.

Great looking hole Galen, some seriously good bunkering and the hole has a nice backdrop going straight away from the ocean.

Cheers

Brad
Last edited by BradTheDad on December 7th, 2022, 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

Sundance wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:39 pm Okay, change of plans. You guys display your holes whenever you want but remember that I need the folder as soon as it's complete so I can compile the course and get it completed.
I have to finish my other hole. Do you want me to send what I have completed?
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

BradTheDad wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:52 pm I liked the idea of releasing the holes in order Steve, but perhaps this way will speed up the release of the whole course. I have "finished" my hole about 20 times, but always think of something else I can do to improve it. I will hopefully get it to you soon.

Great looking hole Galen, some seriously good bunkering and the hole has a nice backdrop going straight away from the ocean.

Cheers

Brad
I asked everybody three different times if they wanted to do it in numerical sequence or not and nobody said a word. Sometimes guys we need to speak up!!
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Galen_Golf4676 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 7:01 pm
Sundance wrote: December 7th, 2022, 2:39 pm Okay, change of plans. You guys display your holes whenever you want but remember that I need the folder as soon as it's complete so I can compile the course and get it completed.
I have to finish my other hole. Do you want me to send what I have completed?
No Galen. Send me the folder when both holes are complete.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Steve,

I agree that at times the silence is deafening and whilst I liked your idea of sequential releases, I think at the rate we were going it would have been next Christmas before we got the whole course done. At least, as we are now releasing details of the holes as they are completed, this may get guys thinking about getting their holes finished.

For your sake, I hope so.

Cheers mate

Brad
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

We had time issues on the last collaboration course that was for PGA 2000. It took "WAY TO LONG" to get it completed. If I remember correctly the course was done 1 hole at a time in numerical order. Hole 1 person passing on to hole 2 creator and so on. I had hole 11 and by the time I received the course to do my hole I just wanted to get my hole done and pass it on in 1 or 2 days at the most. I didn't put my best effort in the hole design. (It's okay but far from my best hole creation). Like I said I just wanted to get it done because it had been at least 3 months waiting to do my hole.
I suggest you give a time limit and if a person can't do a hole in that time limit see if someone else will do it.
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

HOLE 18 - 444 y Par 4

Peering out from the tee, players will see out-of-bounds (OOB) all the way up the left side of the hole, two centre-line bunkers that bisect the fairway, and one bunker to the right that limits how far you can drive with tail wind. It doesn’t force an answer upon players, but gives multiple options, demanding precision once decisions are taken.

Looking back to tee - Landing to the left side between bunker and the road (OOB) for best line of the approach and players can hit as far as able to.

Approach from the right side will give a longer shot from fairway to green.

Generous greensite in front of the clubhouse and the small village.

Last edited by Goran on December 8th, 2022, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.