Making 3D objects

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Chet Bzdak
Novice

Making 3D objects

Post by Chet Bzdak »

Howdy All,
For reasons I won't waste your time with, I find myself needing to use the CPG course creator and would like to add some user made objects. I see in the utilities section that a 3D Studio plugin had been provided by the game creators. Since I don't have 3DS, did they also publish the actual .CPO / .CPM file formats? If so, could someone kindly direct me to them. If not, are the game creators still amenable to such requests? Thanks to anyone who might respond.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Making 3D objects

Post by BrianZ111 »

Hey Chet, good to hear from you again. I don't know the answer but I will PM you contact details to RedChain so you can ask them directly.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

For anyone else who may be interested, there is a plug in for Milkshape to export to the older .cpo format for those who do not have 3D Studio Max. The older .cpo file format is still supported in WGC2011. I've added this to the bottom of the WGC2011 Utilities Page.
Chet Bzdak
Novice

Post by Chet Bzdak »

Thanks Brian and others who heeded my cry. For anyone interested, the file date for the compiled milkshape plugin is 2005 and the 3ds max plugin is 2008. They won't work with versions after those dates. I was told that the 3ds max will only work with with max 7 or 8. I'm not sure what version of milkshape but the current (only) downloadable version is 1.8.4 and it doesn't work. For completeness, if anyone knows what milkshape version(s) will work, please add to this thread.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I have two versions. One is 1.8.2 from 2008 which I must have downloaded with the plugin and forgot about. I don't know if I actually tried it or I just downloaded it and never got around to it. This was back when I was still doing courses for PGA 2000 so I suspect I downloaded them but then forgot about it. I don't know if an even older version would work but I also have 1.6.6a from 2003 which is from back when I was creating race tracks for Papyrus racing games. If you want to try theses and let me know if one of them works I will add it to the utilities download page.

http://www.zagerdesign.com/temp/ms3d182.zip
http://www.zagerdesign.com/temp/MS3D166A.ZIP
Chet Bzdak
Novice

Post by Chet Bzdak »

No joy for me. 1.6.6. would be the likely candidate based on release dates - and it needs to be installed in WinXP. It is not possible to register it now (too old, no longer supported) and I suspect that the plugin doesn't work with just the trial running. I'm not sure about that but I couldn't see the import or export option. Maybe someone else knows for sure.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Wayback Machine has the Milkshape download page archived from 2005 and if you click on the second link (local download) I was able to download 1.7.6 which would have been the latest version at the time of the plugin's release:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060114055 ... nload.html

Don't know if that will solve the too old to register problem though.
Chet Bzdak
Novice

Post by Chet Bzdak »

I didn't realize that Wayback stored the files also. Using it I was able to try 7.4, 7.5 and 7.6 with no luck. I say we stop. Milkshape doesn't seem to be an option. I did find the trial version of MAX 7 and that plugin works. I guess I'll stick with plan B. I'll do all of the modeling in GMAX and at the end just use MAX 7 to convert them all at once. Thanks again for trying.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah, you kind of have to be lucky, sometimes they have the files and sometimes they don't and it occurred to me to give it a try and they did in this case. Apparently nobody actually ever used the Milkshape plugin then. :laugh: Glad you got a solution though. :up:
steggs11
Weekend Duffer

Post by steggs11 »

Did anyone ever get an answer to the original post for this?
did [Redchain] publish the actual .CPO / .CPM file formats?