Name that Course?

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Re: Name that Course?

Post by DC#1 »

IGL Black course by Stefan? or Fabita bay@ 9 mile drive?
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Sorry DC, but neither of those. Here is a hint to blow it wide open: He made the music for the course intro on at least 2 of his courses.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

well that tells me it has to be Dano. How about Cheviot run.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

.....and we have a winner!! :up:

One of my favorites.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

He was ahead of his time in what he could do with the architect. We all probably still use his tutorials on making greens,pre-slope etc. amazing stuff.
seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Post by seopfer »

I sponsored an art show based on computer golf. Forget the guy's name, but he made famous designs in the course that reproduced great works of art (at least when you were looking at it from the overhead), but, naturally, you couldn't tell when playing...only in the overhead. That designer got some cred for a little bit in the design community, but most folks didn't really get what he was doing. His courses were VERY playable, but kinda "average" or so in the "looks" and "golf course design" areas of the hobby. So a lot of people played them and thought "Oh, cool. Nice course." But they NEVER got the secret to the course; it was an actual reproduction of a work of art.

Our Virginia-based art studio, funded by the feds, thought that was too cool, so...after they found out I had a computer golf course design hobby and showed them a little bit about it--including this guy's attempt to do "playable art", I set up the display of his work and let people look at the overhead while playing the course. All the arts geeks got off on it because they were essentially looking at the design in 2-D (a flat playing surface) while playing the course, but seeing it from overhead in 3-D (the work of art)....which was a recognizable famous work of art. Kinda weird to me, but they though it was awesome. It was like they were playing golf across the face of famous paintings. Can't tell you how many of them thought that was so cool that a number of them got into digital art because of it. We partnered it up with a tour called "Putt Moderism" out of New York where the patrons played an eighteen hole putt-putt course through works of art. We became the "warm up act" for the Putt Modernism exhibition. It was a freaking blast! I wish I could remember that guy's name who came up with the idea. Any of you know him?

Steve
Course Design Consultant for PGA Championship Golf 2000 by Sierra Sports and Headgate Studios
http://www.steveopfer.com
http://sola.nsu.edu/seopfer
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Dale Somerfelt did alot of real courses that were realistic. Smak2000 also did quite a few real courses. Somerfelt is probably your guy that designed these courses you are talking about. However, Robert Wagers had the misty realistic looking elements of anyone.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

For me, Dale was the guy for recreating real course renditions, but Robert must be the absolute master of the architect program, some of his releases were/are like works of art.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Steve,

Would it be Robear? Cezanne's Sanctuary maybe? I believe he is the designer and that is one of the courses that would match your description.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Dano was very good... His optimization tutorial on green smoothness was absolute perfection.... Wonder what ever happened to him

Fabita is a name Ill never forget... Him, myself, Southernrepub and Stan used to stay up pretty much all night and play rounds.... Fabita (Jim) in 2005 came to Charlotte NC to visit some family (He was from Lakeland Florida)
then drove all the way to my house the Tuesday before Thanksgiving to see my son who was born on Halloween that year and meet me face to face.. We spent better part of the day together talking and enjoying the company.
Sadly the day after thanksgiving Fabita was killed in a motorcycle accident in Florida...

Robert Wagers to me was the master of the architect... Not to take anything from any other designers but to me he was it.... Before he died he asked me to finish a course he started
and I worked on the first hole....Sent him some pics, and in turn we got into a major discussion on realistic views and scale.... I never thought about any of that until we talked about it... The size of a certain tree here
or angle of the hole there... Made the world of difference to me, and we got to become good friends over the discussions.... Sadly he too is gone.....

been some great memories, great designers with this game, and I am thankful to be a part of the great history with all you folks... From the Copyright Club days to now... Ive met and played golf with some great folks...