The National Golf Links of America

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ADC
Tour Contender

The National Golf Links of America

Post by ADC »

Hello,

So, I've been working on a version of NGLA for WGC2011. It's coming along well. I have 14 holes drawn out, with only the bunkers of holes 8-11 left to go. It has been a lot of fun, and while I've always been a fan of CB MacDonald, I can honestly say I've fallen in love with this course.

I could use some help. I still a rather limited stock of templates. While the shapes, forms, and breaks are there on the ground, I want it to look as good as it plays. Right now I'm using a basic brown, which helps me to visualize the course, but isn't what I'm going for at all.

Would anyone be interested in helping me out with a library of textures? I'm hoping for something like this.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-cou ... f-america/

If interested, please PM me.

Thanks,

Alex
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: The National Golf Links of America

Post by BrianZ111 »

Sent an e-mail out to the guys I know who design and play this game. Jeff Helton replied with this:
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

So, the course is coming along, slowly but surely. What's done? Here's a list.

The course is fully playable, at least for my own testing needs.

All shapes are drawn, double checked, and locked. I'm doing "final" edits as I go along hole by hole.

Front 9 tees are leveled for 2013 Walker Cup, Back, Middle, and Front. I'm also making a list of which bunkers need major work, medium work, and which ones could be/might be good as.

And, perhaps the best news, I'm getting quite good with the terrain editing tools. It's very different from anything I'm used to. But I'm pleased with the results so far.

A few questions, if you all don't mind? I'm getting to the point where I'm testing scenery options. The article on Golf Club Atlas I posted above is invaluable, as well as google. But I have a few things I'd like just for accuracy sake.

1) Is there a pack of green tee makers anywhere? Traditionally, the NGLA colors are green, white, and red. I'm not sure what the colors where for the 2013 Match, so I'm thinking of making them green, then having blue, white, and red. It's fine if there aren't any markers anywhere, I just like the look of the green ones.

2) I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me make a logo? I can provide images. I just don't have the imaging software to make it. Or is something that could be done in Paint? I'd also love to get the twin golfers logo for the pins, but am unsure how to make that work.

3) What do you all think of Flybys? Do you preset them, or leave them alone? I like getting a hole by hole flyby automatically. How do I set this up in game?

Thank you all so much for your help and support. This is a great game, a great architect, and a great community. I'm glad to be a part of it.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

1) Looks like there's a spherical green tee in the tee marker set by John Drolet but no matching texture for it (see utilities pages towards the bottom of the objects). It would be pretty easy to make a texture for it. If this shape is OK let me know and I'll do it.

2) You probably want something like Paint Shop Pro or Gimp if you don't have access to Photoshop. If the logos are pretty much how you want them I could take a quick stab at it but I don't have a ton of time right now.

3) Depends on your preference, some people set the flyovers up and some don't. It's been quite a while since I've done it (back when I finished the Ridges) but I'll be doing it again in the next month or so for Bull's Eye so I can take notes about how to do it and pass them along then.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

BZ, the tee maker shapes look good, but for some reason, the textures aren't working right. The look more like smooth, round brown rocks than tee markers. Either that, or they resemble black and white beach balls.

As for the logos, yes, they are pretty simple. I could send you link to what I'd like in pm if you want.

Trust me, I understand about not having lots of time on your hands. Currently, I have about 80 pages of music to memorize by May 10th. And I'm in a show that opens this week. So, take your time.

PS, i'm glad to her that Bulls Eye is being adapted for WGC. I love that course.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Alright, send them a long. Might be a couple weeks before I get to it though. I'll send you a beta of Bull's Eye in a couple weeks too. That's a lot of memorizing. :eek: