Scottish Point

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ADC
Tour Contender

Scottish Point

Post by ADC »

Hi, everyone. Long time no see. I saw a few threads about new courses, and wanted to upload a few shots of a project I've been working on. The working title is Scottish Point. I'm looking at a long course, somewhere in the neighborhood of 7400 yards.

I'm trying to capture a bit of Scotland next to the Pacific. Exactly where doesn't matter. What this really is a chance for me to experiment with the architect. It's essentially going to be a big open field, lol. I guess, in my head, this could be a mix of Muirfield and Royal Melburne in an emphasis on strategy, with a touch of Shinnecock and National Golf Links in the bunkering.

At this point, it's four holes, 1, 2, 17 and 18. I started this the beginning of October. Hole 2 was just finished today, and I haven't gotten much in terms of planting. All planting is temporary, except maybe hole 17, because I like the way that's looking so far.

I knew I've posted a lot of pics without ever finishing a course. This course is an experiment. I hope I get a chance to finish it before Thanksgiving. I hope you enjoy as much as I can share.
Attachments
overview.JPG
Overhead shot from the Architiecht
(141.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole 1.JPG
The First Hole. Par 4, 437 yards.
(195.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole 2.JPG
The Second Hole. Par 4, 371 yards.
(172.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
ADC
Tour Contender

Re: Scottish Point

Post by ADC »

Holes 17 and 18.
Attachments
Hole 17.JPG
The Ocean Hole. Par 3, 179 yards.
(177.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hole 18.JPG
The Home Hole. Par 5/4, 510 yards.
(204.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Options abound on the par 4 16th.
Attachments
Hole 16.JPG
(181.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

drops.JPG
A second overview
(136.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
7 holes down, 11 to go, plus the planting.
Attachments
15 approach.JPG
The 15th is called Punchbowl. The further to the right the pin is, the harder it is to see. This hole is modeled after holes like the 17th at Muirfield.
(198.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Honestly, whether you finish a design or not to me is not necessarily the point. There is a lot of fun to be had in just using the tools that are there in the game to enjoy. My girls and I have finished almost 20 courses but have never had the courage to share snaps on the Internet or even to upload them for play. Not up to the snuff of the already great designers we have I suppose is why. Yet we have had a lot of laughs and a whole lot of fun creating and enjoying what we did. That is the point of it I think - no pressure to finish - life happens and I at least understand that; especially now - best intentions are better than evil ones any day of the week! Really miss Robert Wagers as he had that kind of take your time and enjoy the process of designing approach. It showed in his work! Anyways, all that to say I like what I see so far and if you finish - great and if not - just have fun trying!
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Well, it feels like forever since I was able to update this. I've been having technical issues with my laptop, and don't know if they are fixed. But it is at least working again, so I'm back at work. I'm on hole 4, a par 5, and it's my 9th hole over all. I'll post some pics when it's done.

Kind of excited, because once I'm onto the 5th hole, I'll have completed the loop that the rest of the course twists around. I guess it's sort of a check point. Won't quite be there yet, as I'm alternating between front nine hole and back nine hole, so after 4 is 14.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

First picture update in a view months. So, here goes.

This is the fourth. Not a name, but a thought: "It's a long way to Tipperary." This drive hit the slope the fairway rises up. In favorable conditions, it could it could have been 45 yards longer. But from here, the choice is on the second. There's room out of view behind the bunkers left. Or, go to the right, and leave a tricky have pitch to a plateaued green that falls off sharply towards the rear.

Again, there's no planting here yet. It's helping me to focus on the golf course for now. With this hole, the course is half done. This ties the record number of holes I've actually been able to finish! So, on to the short par-4 14th, which starts a string of 5 holes along the Atlantic. Wish me luck!
Attachments
4th second shot.JPG
(194.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

This looks very good so far, even without any plantings.
Keep going.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Thanks, Polsad.

I was out bashing balls around and I had the very tee shot I described above at 4, how you can bomb it under the right conditions. But is it always wise? This turned out better than I thought.
Attachments
stymied.JPG
(205.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet