Dogwood Trail by Doron Cook (Bryce) [New Course]

Reviews and feedback for courses and other game content.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Dogwood Trail by Doron Cook (Bryce) [New Course]

Post by BrianZ111 »

Course: Dogwood Trail - Championship Edition (24.3 MB)
Type: Fictional, Parkland
Designer: Doron Cook (Bryce)
Date: 8/16/2013
Libraries Used: beartooth, DSTour, highplains, riverhl, sammamish, sgotha, threerivers, whisperwind, woodfordpark, turnberry_lib

Course: Dogwood Trail Standard Edition (19.8 MB)
Type: Fictional, Parkland
Designer: Doron Cook (Bryce)
Date: 8/28/2013
Libraries Used: beartooth, DSTour, highplains, riverhl, sammamish, sgotha, threerivers, whisperwind, woodfordpark
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Dogwood Trail by Doron Cook (Bryce) [New Course]

Post by bryce »

I want to mention that this course also requires the Turnberry library. The course is inspired by US Open courses that are very tough and very long. If you consistantly shoot around par, but not much better, I suggest moving up a set of tees. If you play the back tees all the time, I only suggest playing the back tees if you consistantly shoot mid 60's or better, and can carry your driver 240 yards (215 meters) on the fly. The course is meant to be played in tournament mode, so you can stress over the 30,000 spectators watching.......and yes, that is an accurate count!

Let me know what you guys think, and tell me which hole you liked best, if you want.
Doron
gova
Chronic Slicer

Post by gova »

Hi Doran,

Thanks for a nice looking course, but unfortunately too difficult to enjoy.

I think the rating for the handicap of 36 tells it all.

Too long and the majority of the holes are difficult.

But any course designed for this game in 2013 is a bonus, so thanks for that.

Look forward to your next design, which I hope is more friendly for this +3 player.

Cheers
Brian
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Gova,
I fully intended to release 2 versions at the same time, one not so long and difficult, but ran into an issue with the 2 courses replacing each other in the course manager. Hopefully I can get it figured out, because the regular Dogwood Trail is quite easy (in my opinion), with a lot of shorter par 4's.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know what you think.

Doron
gova
Chronic Slicer

Post by gova »

Hi Doran,

That is very reassuring for this very average player.

Thanks, I will look forward to its release.

Cheers
Brian
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

bryce wrote:I want to mention that this course also requires the Turnberry library.

Let me know what you guys think, and tell me which hole you liked best, if you want.
Doron
Doron,
The next round of updates includes adding the Turnberry lib to the list above.

A group of us had a spirited Ryder game on this course. There were a lot of "WOWs" along the way. If it was your goal to challenge even the long hitters, you succeeded. Those 500 yard par 4s and 600 yard par 5s were intimidating... but very payable... bring your A game to score well.

All in all, an outstanding, top-tier A-Lister. Keep up the great work bro.

Dar
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Get out the bug spray and big dog driver for this course! Here's my review of Doron's latest offering:

What I liked:
The variety in the tee boxes; not just a shorter distance but a different view and way to play the course - Jack Nicklaus would be proud! - The greensites were above average - The sounds were appropriate, interesting and not annoying - The course is not one you can fall asleep playing; you need to use the overhead maps!

What I did not like:
Well let me see . . . . . . . well maybe . . . . . . . or . . . . . . .nothing, absolutely nothing!

Overall impressions:
I shot well enough here - +2 and -2 from the back tees; -3 and -4 from the others - but in my first round I did not reach a green in regulation until the 9th hole. When I did hit the green I was left with a 37 footer for birdie which I promptly left 18 inches short - Great fun! After I figured out that you could use the slope of the fairways to your advantage, I did a little better. This is an A list course because it is the complete package that will frustrate you and challenge you to take it on again and again! There are courses that will entertain and then there is this work of brilliance - one for the player of the game! Thanks Doron!
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I finally got a chance to sit down and play a round on this course. I've been following the progress of this course all along, so I knew it was going to be a long and tough course; but I like a challenge and it doesn't disappoint. Nice elevation work and course layout. I do have to say I didn't like the trees that were used. Personal preference. One thing I found on the 9th hole you have a 252 yd. carry to the fairway off the tee. I hit into a 15mph wind and came up 5 yds. short of the fairway. Other than that I really enjoyed this course. Looking foward to the shorter version with different angles. I played A/D/B and shot -6 which I thought was a good score on this course. Thanks Doron for your time and effort.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

tincup wrote:
bryce wrote:I want to mention that this course also requires the Turnberry library.

Doron
Doron,
The next round of updates includes adding the Turnberry lib to the list above.

Dar
I will get the updates up tomorrow. It's easier for me to do it on weekends when I have off.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Thanks guys for your remarks, and taking the time to play it.

Dar, I'm sure you guys still ate the place up!

DC, -6, really??? I have played about 20 rounds and have done no better than +2. Great playing to shoot -6 on this course!
sandwedge wrote: This is an A list course because it is the complete package that will frustrate you and challenge you to take it on again and again! There are courses that will entertain and then there is this work of brilliance - one for the player of the game! Thanks Doron!
Sandwedge, thanks for the praise. I enjoy every second of it :bg: Honestly, I made this course for me and what I really want out of a course. Although, I will say that I had you in mind with the other tee locations! Most of my courses have been way too easy in the past. This one is my baby, and I play it over and over again, because I enjoy getting my butt kicked and coming back for more!

Just to let everyone know, I am still trying to resolve the issue with the other version. It is 100% completed, but replaces the Championship version if you load it. It is a registry problem that I don't know how to fix. Hopefully, it will be resolved soon.

Thanks again guys!
Doron